Sign in to follow this  
Meomix

How to Clean Iconic Pro Puff Brush

Do you clean the Iconic London Pro Puff Brush like any other brush or is there a special way to clean it?
Does this brush dry normally or does it take longer to dry, if it does take longer to dry is there a special way to dry it?

SZ0Xzg4s_o.jpg

7YmvpXL9_o.jpg

yjAXH6mH_o.jpg

You would clean this brush daily like you would any full sized powder brush... using a brush cleaner in a spray bottle and gently wipe with a paper towel, repeat as necessary until no more pigment transfer is visible on the paper towel. <a>Remember to use a proper brush cleaner like MUSST, Parian Spirit, Wipe Out, Cinema Secrets, Ben Nye as these are instant drying brush cleaners.<a> Avoid 99%, as this will make the hairs brittle. Also avoid using Brush-Off brush cleaner, as this brush cleaner leaves a waxy feel to the hairs. Also avoid dipping full sized brushes such as this directly into the above mentioned brush cleaners, as this will take a long time for the bristles to dry like about a couple of hours or so. And it will also soak up a LOT of brush cleaner, about a 1/2 bottle's worth, which will go to waste, including your money.

For a more deeper cleansing, (once a week or once every 2 weeks) you would use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Gently squeeze out any excess water and let air dry.

For this style of brush, wrap a piece of paper towel or a small piece of an anti-slip mat around the handle, (to prevent damage to the handle) and wrap a stiff wire around it or use a small spring clamp and hang the brush upside down to air dry. NEVER rest the brush on its' dome or its' side as the weight will create flat spots and split ends. Based on the full-sized bristle area, this brush will take about 1 and-a-half to 2 days to dry at room temperature. Also, NEVER blow dry or use any type of forced air to dry full sized brushes such as this, as this will damage the hairs by making the hair fuzzy (split ends) and overly fluffy, which cannot be repaired by a conditioner as the hairs cannot grow and repair itself. Based on the pics, I can tell that the bristles are soft and supple and grouped together in a nice domed shape, they should not be fluffy, as in the dome shape is distorted or misshapen.

<a> For a gauge, (as a Professional MuA), I use a 500ml bottle of Wipe Out, and sometimes MUSST as my go to brush cleaners. On a TV series a 500ml bottle lasts me about 2-3 weeks. The spray bottle version lasts me about 2 months. This is based on cleaning about 80 or so brushes a day at 5 days a week. For the lay person, a 500ml bottle will last you about 2 months or so and the spray bottle version at least 5 months or so. Just to be clear, it's the same brush cleaner formula in the refill size (500ml) and in the spray bottle option.

Any more questions or clarifications please don't hesitate to ask! 😉

Edited by vogueboy
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for your help! Glad to know this brush is not as complex to clean as a normal brush, i like this brush because it is a full body brush. 😃

On 12/17/2018 at 3:15 AM, Meomix said:

Thanks a lot for your help! Glad to know this brush is not as complex to clean as a normal brush, i like this brush because it is a full body brush. 😃

Ya good quality full body brushes such as this are rare, a good investment to be sure, as it's value will increase in years time, kinda like action figures.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:41 AM, amberjamil99 said:

Using a proper brush cleaner is best to clean any type of brush. MAC's brush cleaner would be best for this.

Only if used as a weekly cleaner for this type of brush, as the drying time will more than 24 hours, due to the amount of bristles. Remember, the MAC brush cleaner is not an instant drying brush cleaner like Wipe Out or Parian Spirit is. Remember, using a damp brush on dry or wet make-ups will alter the characteristics and look of said products. Unless of course you want to use a wet or damp brush for liner purposes, face painting etc. But that is a whole other topic outside of brush cleaners.

9 hours ago, vogueboy said:

Only if used as a weekly cleaner for this type of brush, as the drying time will more than 24 hours, due to the amount of bristles. Remember, the MAC brush cleaner is not an instant drying brush cleaner like Wipe Out or Parian Spirit is. Remember, using a damp brush on dry or wet make-ups will alter the characteristics and look of said products. Unless of course you want to use a wet or damp brush for liner purposes, face painting etc. But that is a whole other topic outside of brush cleaners.

Thank you pointing this out because it is important to let the brushes completely dry before usage.