Hey guys so ... I’ve been doing makeup and hair for a very long time on and off... within the last year I moved down south and moved back north to my hometown kinda starting back from square one to build a clientele.... I feel I’m constantly struggling with charging clients and not charging because I want more content on my feed of makeup on new different faces. I’m not desperate for money because I am working full time, BUT I feel how do people take me serious if if I’m not charging.. but also I really just want more faces on my feed... I’m so torn.. I have a full makeup kit, tons of brushes, makeup light... sorry if I’m rambling.. please help give me honest advice !!! 😫

I think charging a fee for your services gives you more credibility. If you do it for a really low fee then it might not show that you are serious or have the skill set. You could give an initial discount for new customers or something. For example $20 off the first service but next time they pay the regular fee.  

• Like 1

I know you’re totally right... so this girl asked if I could do her hair and makeup Saturday .. I did about 2 years ago for free cause I was bored hit her up if she’d wanna come over and let me get her dolled up and we did... but that was awhile ago.. I told her I would have to charge her Saturday but I was discounting her because I’ve known her for a long time and then no response.. so idk..

• Like 1

Just have faith that you are worth it and she will pay if she needs it. If you feel bad about money, others around you will feel uncomfortable too. It's unexplained "energy". I've had to learn this as a small business owner myself the hard way. I've always had trouble charging people because I'd much rather just give everything away but you can't sustain or grow a business that way. My main goal with having my business is to give back to various women and children's charities and I won't be able to do that if I give everything away and don't make any money. There is no money to give. I've had to really work on the money mindset in a healthy way so that when I charge from my clients, I can give to so many organizations and everyone wins because the money is put to good use.

When you charge for your services, you are now able to purchase something with that money helping the company you are purchasing from to pay their workers etc. The money you charge from your clients actually benefits others because when you go to spend it at a store, others benefit.

Did you let her know how much? Telling her you were discounting because you've known her for so long is perfect. You can also follow-up later and say something like "hey I was just following up to see if you are ready to book your time on Saturday. I want to make sure I'm available and have had a few other inquiries so I want to make sure you are scheduled in if you'd like to get your makeup done." or something like that

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with Reija on this.

I ran into this exact situation at the beginning of the year that Amcglam had, it was with a photographer and a professional client for a corporate headshot. The photographer quoted my rate from 5 years ago to the client, I explained to the client that that was my old rate and that inflation happens, and that nominal price increases are a normal part of business, and that my new rate was "X" amount. It wasn't a huge amount (as not to shock the client), in the end they accepted my new rate. 

So perhaps using the inflation example would be another idea in getting previous clients back into your chair? Just putting it out there... (I know each situation is different etc).