March 2019 No Buy Low Buy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday was payday but I have not purchased anything for 24 hours. I did get my Suave Rose Shampoo ($3.00 at Dollar General) but that was something I really need and wanted for a long time. It smells great. I went to bed at 2 am and stayed in my bed until 6 am. (I've been wanting to stay up half the night shopping.) I am focusing on being excited to see what's in my Ipsy that is already paid for. I did get charged for Glossybox, which I was not planning on, because I cancelled after the cutoff, but that's ok. 

I think I was really lucky in 2018 and I was in a state of grace where I hardly felt tempted and No Buy was easy. But I guess I can't feel like that all the time. Sometimes I am going to have to fight. I've been fighting hard. I find that when I force myself to close credit cards and things like that, I feel very sad, but it passes quickly and I forget about it. I reread my journal from the month of my binge and I had written about things I wanted so badly, but later I had forgotten about them.

Good start to the month! ?

This psychologist has some good articles on compulsive spending.

https://www.verywellmind.com/shopping-addiction-overview-4581772

She writes about how people in our culture think shopping addiction is funny or a joke, like in the Confessions of a Shopaholic books or the term "retail therapy." I read the Shopaholic books, and they are fun, but the character always gets out of her troubles really easily. She never really has to suffer because she buys too much and habitually puts her bills in the bin without opening them. She always has a miraculous escape. Same with Save Karyn. I wish I had a family member who would take over all shopping for me, as the articles suggest. This is why I go for beauty sub boxes. I figure they'll do all my shopping for me, problem solved. But then I don't know which box to get, and then there are add ons, etc ... 

You know how My Subscription Addiction has all those wonderful quizzes and articles on "which beauty sub is right for you"? I want to research and find out which sub box is best for compulsive shopper who wants to get one box to replace shopping for cosmetics.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sub box to replace compulsive beauty shopping?

Birchbox

I don't think Birchbox would work well for me as a replacement for shopping. The trouble is the box upgrades and add ons, and limited edition boxes. These are quite expensive. I go to the Birchbox site to see my spoilers, and I get hit with all of this temptation. Those Vogue boxes! 

Ipsy

Ipsy is a bit better than Birchbox. Their add ons are less expensive, and they limit you to getting three per month. The add ons have a fixed price also - easy to budget. I'm not tempted by their cash back program. But those Ipsy Offers are really tempting. 

Glossybox 

The have expensive Limited Edition boxes also! 

Boxycharm 

They tempt you to upgrade to Boxyluxe, but don't tempt you to buy extra as much as Ipsy and Birchbox. 

Sephora Play!

I've yet to try Play! I did get one of the luxury bags. They don't have add ons and upgrades, and they let you use the points that come in the bag to get samples in the Rewards Bazaar now, so you could actually shop a bit without spending money. 

Beautyfix 

It's a great box, good value, but it does not appeal to me really. Too many random active skin care products mixed together. [One example: Dr. Erno Laszlo would not be happy to see his lotion mixed in with everyone else's products. He wanted his patients to use his preparations in a very strict way. See The Natural Way to Super Beauty by Mary Ann Crenhsaw (a great, great classic of the beauty book world and a wonderful read) for interesting stories about what it was like to be a patient of Dr. Laszlo. I was SHOCKED last time I got Laszlo soap from the Birchbox shop, and the leaflet did not mention the famous thirty rinses with hot water. What is this world coming to. When I first got Laszlo, you had to have a special card to buy anything. The card was given after you had your skin analyzed and were thoroughly trained in Dr. Laszlo's program, which was different from anything else on the market. He would not like his items thrown willy nilly in sub boxes.] 

Macy's Beauty Box

OMG I just saw the March box - Galactic Muse. It's good! I have to go check on it ... We can't have it. If we subscribe now we get the April box. I always want them more when I can't have them. Someone will have it for sale on ebay, marked up! 

I don't know if I can trust beauty sub boxes to shop for me. They all just want to make me shop more. So far, Sephora Play! seems to be the best one, or maybe Boxycharm.

[SIZE=1.4rem]I cleaned today, and I'm only going to let myself shop online for a half hour a day when my new job begins.[/SIZE]

Found a good new No Buy You Tube channel - Kristen Sorenson - doing 2019 No Buy year. I like her soft spoken and genuine personality. Maybe she can get me in the No Buy mood again. Right now I want to buy everything and it's making me nuts. After all, the year is still young. We still have time. 

I'm up too late. I was feeling better this week with my 30 minutes of shopping a day plan. Then I got paid, and I had a super stressful day, so now I've been online shopping too much again. I REALLY want to get on a low buy. I want to buy but in a controlled way. I can't trust myself to do it so I have to find someone to copy. I'm going to watch Low Buy videos on You Tube this weekend until I find one that clicks.

Maybe I'll find one from before 2018 - I just don't like how they are all about decluttering now. 

I just finished watching all of the No Buy content of Kristen Sorenson on You Tube so far. I really like her because she is real and I can relate to her. She does not have a HUGE amount of stuff and she is not doing these HUGE declutters that everyone is into now (those upset me). I can relate to her talking about needing clothes badly because you spend all your spare money on makeup, and neglect everything else. I WANT this simplicity that she is modeling. On the other hand, I also want to shop and get all of the beauty boxes. 

Added later: Thinking about how I feel bad after watching Kristen Sorenson, because I am not on No Buy as she is right now, reminded me of something I have been learning from another You Tube vlogger, Lucia Tepper. (Lucia is a smart young lady!) When I first heard Lucia talk about this, I said no way. But I am beginning to understand. Trying to be on a No Buy is the other side of the coin of shopping too much. We use both to try to fix something in our lives. I can watch a haul video and feel like I don't have enough and get down, or I can watch a No Buy video and feel like I'm getting too much and feel down. Perfectionism, which is a driving factor in compulsive shopping, can also hurt in the No Buy field of endeavor. 

If you are going to fall off the No Buy Wagon, fall at the right place! 

This is my new motto. I'm doing a lot better. I began working on my second job, and it helped a lot. It kept me busy, took my mind off shopping, and made me feel I was doing something good for my life. The extra money is amazing. I want to binge shop less when I am doing better financially. I want to make the most of it. When I feel broke, I get the attitude of there's no hope, why try. Then I will recklessly spend and open charge plates. Ironic, no?

I was on No Buy for a year and was not keeping up with beauty sub spoilers. When I fell off, I saw all these exciting new developments in the beauty box world, like Ipsy add ons, Boxyluxe, etc. and had to look into them all. I think I got that out of my system. 

I checked out the Sisley Beauty Subscription, and I had the extra money to sign up for it again. It looks better than ever. I had it for nine months before, and I used every drop of every item they sent me. How often does that happen with beauty subs? I signed up! Hopefully I will get this month's box, which has the mascara with the comb. I always wanted one. 

I like the simplicity of the Sisley sub. Pay $60.00 one time, and I'm all set for six months. No upgrades, nothing else to buy. That is why my new motto is, If you are going to fall off the No Buy Wagon, fall at the right place! I'm going to try to have just this Sisley bag, because it's quality and works for me, and stay away from other stuff as much as I can.

I have another new motto: I am what I am! 

I was thinking about how I am excited that I have the Sisley Beauty Subscription back, and how I like their makeup style, which is very natural, simple, maybe a little concealer and a creamy crayon in a soft color. I realized that it's my type. What's sad is that I found my style as a teen. I tried lots of things, and found I loved skin care, and a little makeup with a soft pink lipstick. But I doubted myself, and was always searching.  Doubting oneself leads to more and more buying. I still like the same stuff I did as a teen. If I hadn't doubted myself and my likes, I could have saved so much time and money. Let me go on Pinterest. What was my own style? My favorite thing was Maybelline Brush / Blush II in Sea Shell Pink. It was really good, as I recall. No wonder I liked it - the ad with Kim Alexis all in white lace and pearls is very romantic! But it's what I found myself, on my own. 

Is there a flu shot for the beauty shopaholic bug? ?

I am feeling better from my beauty shopaholic bug. Mine comes and goes. I feel my immunity is a little higher now. For example, I saw the spoiler for the Boxycharm Limited Edition Skin Care Box, and I did not want it at all. I have to figure out what makes my immunity higher and lower. I want to find the cure for the bug! 

Low Immunity

• Feeling frustrated. When I was on my No Buy 2018, I was in the beginning phases of a debt payoff snowball. I was paying things off left and right, and it was very fulfilling. Then, I hit a plateau. A few days before I fell off the No Buy wagon, I had a bad dental visit that made me feel anxious, pressured, unsafe. I felt overwhelmed with my dental problems. Several days later, feeling tired, hungry and sad during a rainy Sunday afternoon, I began my big uncontrolled binge of spending. I cancelled my dental appointment and decided to ignore my broken teeth. I bought all kinds of beauty stuff instead. 
High Immunity 

• Keeping busy doing things to improve my life. My binge slowed down when I started working on my second job. Also I had my bad tooth out yesterday. I found a new dentist, a really lovely lady from India. She is very loving, and holistic. She took my bad tooth out and the bill was $125 only. She did not pressure me that I need $100000000000 of work. It was great, actually. It only took a second to take the tooth out, she said "It's all done," and I didn't even know it. It's a great feeling. I can't wait to go back now, and get my other broken tooth out! The beautiful dentist said she will help me "Not to get to this point again." I just love her. She even wants me to have blood work to know about my health. It felt good to be taken care of. I had a great weekend having a dental extraction! 
  • Recalling what I really like. I'm excited I'm getting my Sisley beauty bag back. I really like it. I'm trying to remember I'm not a beauty guru! I don't have to get all the palettes and things. 
Working on it. 

Latest posts

Back