Mothers Day/Beauty Memories of Our Moms

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms! 

Sadly my mother passed away May 2013. We were best friends and shared everything including a love of cosmetics. 

When I was growing up, I recall my Mom was particular about beauty, especially about her hair being perfectly done. She had few cosmetics. She used Maybelline "Watermelon" lipstick {this was the 70's}. She always hit pan and finished all her makeup, long before panning was a thing. When I would point this out, she would simply explain, "I'm from New England". One time in the 70's she had a Mary Kay party at our house. I was fascinated. Mom treated herself to the whole set, including this amazing watercolor eye shadow palette. When the order arrived, Dad told me that was for Mom, and I was not to play with it. What does that tell you? Mom used to love to tell the story about how she came to pick me up at school and one of the other mothers, who had been at the Mary Kay party, told her that her new Mary Kay makeup looked great. Mom used to love to tell that she had actually used her old stuff that day! 

Mom bought me all the cosmetics for young girls from Avon. She got me the plastic orange with the sunscreen inside, the Oreo cookie with the lip glosses in it, the Sunny star necklace and other jewelry, the skin care set for oily skin with the blue seagulls on it, and the figurines filled with perfumes like Sweet Honesty. 

When I got older and began buying and collecting a lot of cosmetics, I would share with Mom and she loved it. One of her favorite things was the Jerome Alexander set I got her. It was from HSN, and was a jewelry case with different powder compacts. 

When Mom had a stroke and was in hospital those last few weeks, it was the first time I ever saw her with undone hair. When she was transferred to hospice, the nurses brushed it and it looked beautiful again. Mom must have liked that.

Feel free to share your beauty memories about your Mom here! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this! Thank you for posting @EdithS2. Sorry about your mom passing. My mom passed away last year. She was the one who got me into makeup and skin care when I was young. She bought the nicest makeup always even though she didn't earn that much money from her job. I remember always watching her apply fancy makeup brands and having Lancome skin care. Her skin always looked so nice. I got to borrow a Guerlain meteorites powder when I was in my teens and it made me feel amazing. Ever since then I've been into high end makeup. I never forgot the feeling I had when applying the fancy powder. From my first paycheck I bought my own fancy makeup. Before that I only used drugstore makeup products with my allowance.

I'm so grateful for my mom teaching me the importance of skin care and also makeup. It was something her and I shared and it's stayed with me my whole life. My mom passed away from complications from Parkinson's disease. I was sad when she passed away but I'm happy she is no longer suffering. The last couple of years were difficult for her.

I have a daughter who I get to share my love for makeup and skin care now with and I'm really grateful for that. I'm passing on what my mom taught me. My daughter and I share our love for makeup. I've told her stories about my mom and what it was like when I was a teen. It's nice to share memories about my mom with her. She didn't get to see her that much because she lived in another country.

I love this! Thank you for posting @EdithS2. Sorry about your mom passing. My mom passed away last year. She was the one who got me into makeup and skin care when I was young. She bought the nicest makeup always even though she didn't earn that much money from her job. I remember always watching her apply fancy makeup brands and having Lancome skin care. Her skin always looked so nice. I got to borrow a Guerlain meteorites powder when I was in my teens and it made me feel amazing. Ever since then I've been into high end makeup. I never forgot the feeling I had when applying the fancy powder. From my first paycheck I bought my own fancy makeup. Before that I only used drugstore makeup products with my allowance.

I'm so grateful for my mom teaching me the importance of skin care and also makeup. It was something her and I shared and it's stayed with me my whole life. My mom passed away from complications from Parkinson's disease. I was sad when she passed away but I'm happy she is no longer suffering. The last couple of years were difficult for her.

I have a daughter who I get to share my love for makeup and skin care now with and I'm really grateful for that. I'm passing on what my mom taught me. My daughter and I share our love for makeup. I've told her stories about my mom and what it was like when I was a teen. It's nice to share memories about my mom with her. She didn't get to see her that much because she lived in another country.
Thank you for the touching story. It's really fun when you first encounter makeup as a young girl, isn't it? And then it becomes a special memory of one's mom. I hope you have a wonderful mother's day.  :flowers:

Latest posts

Back