Beauty Budget Plan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was a little over a year ago, when Hannah Louise Poston (a YouTube No Buy content creator) completed her No Buy Year and followed it with a new plan called the Beauty Budget. When that happened, I hated it and stopped following Hannah. The concept seemed out of control to me. It's just a simple plan of having a set limit of money to buy clothes and beauty products each month. I thought it was wild and could not imagine doing anything other than a No Buy. But watching Hannah's new video this morning, it is starting to appeal to me. I find I have more extra money now, because I have paid off so many credit card debts with my No Buys. I realized I'm getting to the point where I could afford a beauty budget. In her new video, How I Spent My Budget in January, Hannah has a long reply to one of her subscribers detailing how she plans her budget, and makes sure if spends $200 on shopping, she has to put the same amount in savings too. She also said this plan motivates her to work really hard, so she will have shopping money. She paid off her credit card debt during her No Buy Year, and does not use it for her shopping. Seeing that she stuck to this controlled plan for a year is reassuring. Question is: should I go off my No Buy and try out a Beauty Budget? Am I ready for it? It took me over a year to even be ready to think about it. FOR SURE, (SORRY FOR CAPS) IF I FALL OFF MY NO BUY AGAIN, I AM GOING TO TRY THE BEAUTY BUDGET SYSTEM!!!!!!!! I will have a structure. But it's more difficult to follow a budget than a No Buy, as Hannah is always saying, and I agree. 

I'm still not ready to accept the decluttering concept, though. 

Many hours later - I have thought about this more and watched more videos on the topic. I like the idea of the beauty budget, because once the limit of spending is reached, one goes on a mini No Buy until the next month. But I've decided to stick to my usual system. If and when I get burned out and crack, I will try this to keep the cheating under control. I want to still stick with my black and white No Buy as long as I can because: 

1. I would feel guilty about spending too much, especially when I would look at the yearly total.

2. I know it would make me obsessive in an annoying way. If I gave myself $200 to spend for the month, I would be looking for things to buy compulsively until the money was all gone, and that would be an annoying feeling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the YouTube algorithm from the viewer perspective. It can really help or really hurt me. It's like an externalization of my neural pathways. If watch No Buy videos, it will help me by showing more of the same. If I watch haul videos, it will give me more temptation by showing more of the same. It can reinforce either good or bad habits. I'm trying to reinforce the good neural pathways.

After I began watching Hannah Louise Poston's Beauty Budget videos (I admire Hannah, think she's an amazing Renaissance woman, and think she would make a great beauty editor of Vogue), YouTube gave me another video on the topic. The channel is MissBudgetBeauty from the UK, and the video is titled, "Debt Free Journey, New Beauty Budget + Project Pan?" This was just posted, and the creator is going to have a beauty budget of 50 UK pounds per month. Sounds like an interesting series to follow. 

I'm filing this information away for future reference. I think it's good to have a backup plan or alternate plan, though I still like my black and white No Buy for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
More ideas on the beauty budget topic. 

I no longer think about "failing my no buy and going on a shopping spree." I now think, "it's possible I may, at some point, take a break from my No Buy in the future, and follow a beauty budget for a time," which is a more empowering way to think. Anyway, there is no such thing as failing a No Buy! Even one day on a No Buy is an achievement and does good, and is something to be proud of! 

I had another idea for beauty budget. I recall when I owed money to the IRS (I did not get in trouble - I was on a payment plan and paid it off early in my 2018 No Buy), I was watching YouTube videos about people who owed tax debt (I love to research things). I thought it was interesting to learn that if you have your wages garnished, even the government does not make you follow a No Buy, but gives you some cosmetics shopping money. They publish a budget each year that lays out the money they allow you to have after the garnishment, and I think this is also used in bankruptcy cases. This is based on economic research and statistics. It's called "National Standards." Their beauty budget is $43 per month for 2019. This is for hygiene and cosmetics. They also allow $88 per month for clothes. I believe the 2020 budget will be out at the end of March. 

I think it would suit me personality, if I were going to follow a beauty budget, to follow this scheme. Then I would not feel my budgeted amount was too much. The idea appeals to me. 

My original ideal was just to be on No Buy until I have one of each beauty item, and then only buy one new item when the old one runs out. Right now I am at that point only with shampoo and deodorant! I'm sticking with my original plan as long as I can. 

Latest posts

Back