Sign in to follow this  
MACGoddess

The Official Fitness Challenge Thread!

Ok, I'm not going to win this but I'll join to up the pot.

Group 1

5'5" (barely)

125 lbs

25.5 %BF (I have a scale that measures)

Hip - 36"

Waist @ Belly Button - 29.5" (my problem area)

Thigh - 21"

Bust - 36"

Arm - 10"

I'd love to be 14% BF like I was when I was in my 20's but that's a real long term goal. So my short term goal will be to get my waist to 27" and BF at 21%.

I will only be posting my changes monthly, since I don't believe in weekly weighing for people trying to lose 20 pounds or less. I hope that is within the rules.

Awwwwwww! Thanks! I am not sure about what I plan to do, I have never worked out a day in my life really. Well I take that back my mom and I got a membership is a fitness club and went one day lol then we never went back. So I have no clue what I am doing or what to do. I have The Firm DVD at work and a belly dancing DVD I may just do that and cut down on the eating, cause I eat ALOT like 6-7 times a day (but it isn't junk food, it is real food, I am far from a person with a sweet tooth, I need real hot food, lol)

If you ladies have any suggestions on what I need to do, I would love to hear your feedback on it. I really want to learn how to get up early say around 5 or 6 in the morning to exercise but I have no motivation to do so, I just love to sleep, lol.

I guess I need a routine or something to get me started, I just have so much on my plate, I know I can do the exercise thing at work but as far as waking up in the morning early enough I don't know...

Motivation is needed here girls.....

SOB. I was posting my measurements, sans pics (until I can take them) and I hit the wrong button. So......one more day for me. Blech!

Tiffany, I've never found a love for rolling out of bed early. :icon_redf What I used to do was eat a healthy snack on the way home from work in order to curb any hunger and give me some energy. Then I'd work out when I got home. That way I got exercise done and out of the way before I got into my evening routine. Now that I'm a stay-at-home and my husband works half his days at home, too, we tend to exercise whenever the mood hits us. Seriously, it could be the middle of the day and we're working out together! Then he'll shower and go to the office for a few hours. So surreal.

I like VG's suggestion of writing down everything we eat. That way it can help us make elimination choices if we find our list is too full of calories, or if our diet is lopsided and there's not enough variety in what we're eating. Healthy food is great but too much of it will bring the excess of calories we don't need.

I'm also a member of the water challenge and I've noticed extra water takes the edge off of food cravings. Not a huge difference, but it does make me a bit less hungry throughout the day. :)

I just wanted to add that you should be paying more attention to fat and protein grams. You need higher amounts of protein if you want to tone up (or lose weight). Muscle growth (however minute) takes protein to accomplish. Basically, if you eat foods that have 1/2 the grams of fat than proteins, then you should be ok. The problem is that MOST "fast" foods have something like 5 grams of fat to 8 grams of protein.

There is one more thing. Don't go all "hard core" and start buying "diet" foods. Yes, they say that they are "fat-free" or "low fat", but all that they are talking about is that the product was made using "artificial fat". They used hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Using those types of oil in cooking creates trans fat. If you do not know what trans fats are, then do an internet search. Just make sure you are sitting down when you read about it. If you cook with soybean, corn, sunflower, or vegetable oils...you are essentially cooking with trans fatty oil. Ditch all of that oil and buy Extra Virigin Olive Oil. Olive oil is one of the only oils that does not convert to trans fat when heated to high temps (if the oil is cooked at high temps and then you let it cool to room temp...if it turns that white color...that's trans fat conversion).

Read you labels, re-read your labels and re-read them again. You may not think that stuff like trans fat is that big of a deal, however, when you learn that your body cannot process trans fat easily and stores it directly as fat...you'll thank your lucky stars that you cut trans fat completely from your diet...and you'll find that just by tightening up your diet you'll lose weight. Oh, and don't buy anything that says "0% trans fat" assuming that it's ok. The FDA had approved that companies who use less than .045% trans fats in their products could claim, "no trans fat". And while that amount won't hurt you much...if you eat enough of that product or products like it per day...it adds up...and the bulk will just settle into the nice pouch you want to get rid of on your belly...or in the thighs/butt/wherever you gain weight. If you read the ingredients and it was made with hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated anything...it's got trans fat.

Read those labels. And, I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

Good morning everyone! Well, I wasn't too stellar yesterday exercising...:icon_redf My period came and I started cramping pretty hard, so I only ended up doing 20 minutes of cardio and no weights. But fortunately I kept my diet healthy and pretty junk-free so I still felt alright by the evening.

Since it's a beautiful day today, I think today I'm going to go outside for a walk and put my cardio tape off for this evening!

20 min cardio at monthly curse time is awesome, Kerry !!! :clap

Thanks for all the tips here gals, some really helpful posts going on. I'm sort of cringing at the idea of keeping a food journal but i DO know that this is one thing that could really help me out. ok, or scare me half to death when I read it LOL. anyway that may really be a reality check for me.

Last night I checked out a new facility by our house that's just opened up. very tiny but they do have drop in yoga and badmington which i just looooove! I really like to have 3 or 4 facilities to go to for different things, it keeps my interest up to have different places to go to, as I get bored really easily. I brought my gym clothes to work, yep, I'll be going on the way home tonight and will try not to argue myself out of it all day LOL Its going to be a couple weeks yet before I consider getting on the weights at home, going to stick w/ cardio for the immediate. aaaah, baby steps " )

Way to go!! Yep, just take baby steps and don't feel you need to take on everything all at once. As long as you do something everyday to recognize your health, the transition towards a fitter body and better health will be easier to accomplish. :clap

I still haven't done my measurements or taken pictures! I promise to have it done before Saturday. Since that is the official start day now, it's okay, right?

I also have not joined a fitness center yet. I'm kinda torn between 2 at the moment. :icon_conf

I use this to track my exercise and food, there are versions for pocket PC, PC and Palm. The food database is awesome (even has BK and frozen entrees). You enter your stats, what your goal is and the finish date and it will caculate your max daily calories.

http://www.keyoe.com/

The only problem is that it gets tedious entering everything after awhile but it's that way with a paper journal. If you're serious enough to spend $20, I recommend it.

Edit: I'm going to the gym after I finish the dishes, I'll post how I did.

Oh ya! There's 2 days a month I don't ever go to the gym :icon_lol: So I think 20min + weights is darn good. Great job!

Tonya, that looks like a cool system! I should check it out. Wonder if it tracks nutrition and fiber along w/ calories?

Edited: yes! It does track calories, carbs, protein, fiber, fat and saturated fat. Cool!

My husband showed up just after I posted that I was going to the gym and announced he wanted to go shopping. Luckily I convinced him he needed a nap and I made it to the gym LOL

60 min of Cardio (treadmill)

Weights: Chest press, Lunges (I hate hate hate these)

Abs: Lower body crunches

Stretching

Now I've got to shower and wake up sleepy head so he can take me out for a big fat steak or burger LOL Working out makes me hungry :icon_razz

That was a close call w/ the hubby Tonya!!

Great workout! I totally now what you mean re needing a big meal, I always go thru that too when I work out, way I figure it ..... it is well deserved !!!

LOL! Great deflection job Agent Tonya! :clap:clap:clap And I HATE lunges too...with a murderous passion! I will rather do ab work literally all day long rather than lunges for 15 minutes... :icon_conf

Ditto me for tomorrow! It will make the first few days of this difficult - but I am determined! Will have my measurements up by Sat too, and have my first workout in a long time.....

I am using today as the last day for treats so sitting having a hot chocolate and a bagel for breaksfast! :icon_chee

I'm on a roll!! I've hit the gym everyday this week and did interval training for 30 minutes on the treadmill and the elliptcal (though not on the same days) 2 of the days. 2 days of weight lifting. Today is another weight lifting day...and although I am still kinda sore from the other days, I'm working my legs today and I know that I'm gonna be extra sore. Tomorrow will be my last cardio day and then Sunday will be my day of rest.

*happy dance* I'm so happy that I went the whole week!! Yeah!!!

Oh...I'll post pics on Saturday. I mean, I've already been working out for a week, but it won't off-set the measurements and such that much... *cringe* LOL

VG - you're having a great week! :clap

Tonya - Excellent motivation! I know I would've ducked out and gone shopping instead. Well, unless it's the grocery store 'cause I hate going there...rrrr...about as much as doing lunges. he he

Last night was so much better! I had all my energy back and did my 3-mile tape full force, plus did about 15 minutes of Tae-bo, focusing on arms and back. Then stretches, some were with my cats who were figure-eighting around my legs saying "mommy's done! mommy's done! let's plaaaay!" :icon_lol: Seriously, they know when I'm done exercising and come running when the floor pounding is over!

I'm putting it off today :icon_roll My arse hurts (stupid lunges) but I need to go because I can't go tomorrow. My indigo jeans were starting to feel a little tight last night, I really need to get to work on this.

UPDATE: My Fitness Centre is closed, looks like they had a bit of a flood! No workout for me today.