Mineral Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love my La Bella Donna Mineral compressed mineral foundation. It has 15 SPF and makes my skin look flawfless. La Bella Donna makes excellent mineral makeup. Mineral makeup is all natural makeup with no chemicals. It's been used by many celebrities, Jane Fonday and Cortney Cox to name a few.

But I use the Jane Iredale MM- but do you find that even thought it does a great job of mattifying, that it for some reason creates a shine? There's absolutely no glitter, just a weird oily looking shine. Maybe its a mineral thang?

I've noticed that once I apply the mineral makeup over my liquid foundation if holds better and doesn't create the shine. About couple of hours later my skin will get shiny from the oil and then I have to reapply. If I use the mineral makeup just over the moisturizer it does get shiny quicker than layered over a foundation.

Originally Posted by bluepisces

But I use the Jane Iredale MM- but do you find that even thought it does a great job of mattifying, that it for some reason creates a shine? There's absolutely no glitter, just a weird oily looking shine. Maybe its a mineral thang?

Hello! Just found this message board!

I'm a convert to mineral makeup, the foundations in particular. I have rosacea
redface.gif
ops: , and I will NEVER EVER go back to non-mineral foundations!

For the sheen you're noticing, you can add some rice powder in with your foundation, or there is a product from bareEscentuals/bareMinerals called Mineral Veil, which also knocks out that sheen. Youngblood has a similar product, but I can't remember the name of it.

Do any of you use the crushed mineral eyeshadows? If so, do you have an application tips? When I put it on, it just seems to get pushed around with the brush, it doesn't seem to stay put! HELP!

Welcome to the board!

Have you tried applying the mineral eyeshadow with a sponge-tipped applicator? I know Aromaleigh sells them for a package of 10 for $2.00. I haven't tried the eyeshadows yet but have checked them out and would like to try them sometime in the future.

Originally Posted by WearThePinkRibbon

Hello! Just found this message board!
redface.gif

For the sheen you're noticing, you can add some rice powder in with your foundation, or there is a product from bareEscentuals/bareMinerals called Mineral Veil, which also knocks out that sheen. Youngblood has a similar product, but I can't remember the name of it.

Do any of you use the crushed mineral eyeshadows? If so, do you have an application tips? When I put it on, it just seems to get pushed around with the brush, it doesn't seem to stay put! HELP!

I'll have to pick some sponge tip applicators up next time I'm at the drugstore and give that a try! I'll let you know how it works!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board and please tell us more about holistic makeup and what ingredients are good for your skin. Holistic/organic and pure skin care and makeup is really interesting. I believe that a lot of the huge cosmetic manufactures use all these chemicals and additives in their products because it's cheaper to make them that way and means more profit to them. A lot of it has to do with marketing also. The cosmetic manufactures like to make you think that you need a cleanser and a toner to clean your face and that you need a serum under your moisturizer not even including the primer before you put your foundating on and the finnish product also. Before you know you are using about 10 products daily on your face and that can't be good for your skin.

Originally Posted by Beauty by Jenique

Hello everyone, I am new to this board and I am excited to see how many people love mineral makeup as much as I do. I am a holistic makeup and hair artist based in New York City. My company, Soulistic NYC, is a beauty and wellness company that specializes in custom blend mineral makeup. It is free of talc, which is linked to lung cancer, ovarian cancer, and testicular cancer, mica, which causes that unattractive shine on the face, chemicals, and fragrance. I add allantoin which comes from comfrey root (herb) for its soothing properties and a natural SPF for sun protection. My mineral makeup is 100% organic, vegan, and pure. I use my "Custom Earth Powders" for print, music videos, and runway shows with beautiful results. If you are interested, you can visit my website at: www.soulistic-nyc.com Cosmetics can kill, Soulistic NYC saves lives... Be blessed, Jenique

I was "this close" to getting the Bare Escentuals kit they advertise on TV for my first adventure into mineral foundation...but I was too nervous about getting a good color match for my skin. Do you go to a Bare Escentuals store to buy the products or order them? When my currant jar runs out, I might make a trip to the nears BE store (which unfortunately is about 45 minutes away...) to know I'm getting the right color, and then I can order from then on... What I'm using currently I got from a local (mineral) makeup boutique that has pre mixed shades or will do custom blending. They put their own label on it, but I know they don't make it... I also LOVE the kabuki brush. I just recently purchased a kabuki brush with an actual handle, but honestly I didn't feel like it covered as well as the 'original' kabuki brush. So now I want to get another one of the original brushes to keep at work. Bobbi Brown sells one that comes with a nice little travel case...

I'm not going to jump into the debate on what is or isn't spamming... BUT, what I think is tacky on message boards such as this is to come in and start pitching your line.... Tony has just recently started this board, and being that it's in it's infancy, I'm sure it's a struggle to keep it going with limited adverstiser support. So if you want to advertise, maybe Tony can cut you a deal. If you want to post without preaching about your line, then I have no problem with it.

Missy, cool your jets!!

This is how we look at it:

Look......we all understand pulling visitors from one site to the next is great for the site where GO. But we are cool with it this way:
biggrin.gif

For now though, it is fine to have your site url in your signature. You can edit this inside your profile. This way your URL comes up in all posts that you make. In essence, the more messages you posts, the more your site gets listed. We think that this way is better than pointing to documentation on another site. Really no big deal, no one died or lost limbs and stuff
biggrin.gif
. But what I would have done is taken that text (since it is your site anyhow and it is YOUR info) and copied and pasted into the afformentioned forum that you wanted to answer about explaining toxic ingredients in cosmetics.

I do agree, we have NOT posted any "rules and regs" for the board. Yes..so you did not know our rules either. The reason why we dont have any yet is that we are just 4 weeks old as a board. Anyone want to write some for us?

Did this help?

Uhm...Missy, I found this site from another message board...would you call that spamming too? I may have mentioned my website twice but I'm not sure. Once for my "newbie" introduction (Do you know what is in your cosmetics?) and another time for refering to a page on my website where I explain toxic ingredients in cosmetics. If I am wrong, please correct me. If not, then don't make assumptions. Hey, this is a mineral makeup post, why not mention my line too?
rolleyes.gif

Elequently stated! I must say. Thank you for your support on this as everyone can learn from it. Oh and by the way, you are right.....yes we are completely banner add supported, so please support us by clicking on them. Thanks again

I'm not going to jump into the debate on what is or isn't spamming... BUT, what I think is tacky on message boards such as this is to come in and start pitching your line.... Tony has just recently started this board, and being that it's in it's infancy, I'm sure it's a struggle to keep it going with limited adverstiser support. So if you want to advertise, maybe Tony can cut you a deal. If you want to post without preaching about your line, then I have no problem with it.

I'm not going to jump into the debate on what is or isn't spamming... BUT, what I think is tacky on message boards such as this is to come in and start pitching your line....
Tony has just recently started this board, and being that it's in it's infancy, I'm sure it's a struggle to keep it going with limited adverstiser support. So if you want to advertise, maybe Tony can cut you a deal. If you want to post without preaching about your line, then I have no problem with it.

Is it as tacky as saying "Ok girls. Come visit this community. We have a lot of cool people here: www.makeuptalk.com"? I found that post on makeuphairandstyling.com which is very similair to this site. And since when did you become Tony's spokesperson :?: I am very passionate about my line and I am also a big fan of other natural lines such as Aubrey Organics and Carol's Daughter which I have no problem mentioning. On that note, I hope all is well and have a blessed day! No hard feelings, ok?P.S. Tony, I am not calling you tacky by any means, I am proving a point.
wink.gif

Who posted that? strange...a user here I presume

Quote:
Is it as tacky as saying "Ok girls. Come visit this community. We have a lot of cool people here: www.makeuptalk.com"? I found that post on makeuphairandstyling.com which is very similair to this site. And since when did you become Tony's spokesperson :?: I am very passionate about my line and I am also a big fan of other natural lines such as Aubrey Organics and Carol's Daughter which I have no problem mentioning. On that note, I hope all is well and have a blessed day! No hard feelings, ok?P.S. Tony, I am not calling you tacky by any means, I am proving a point.
wink.gif

No, it's tackier. Inviting people to check out a message board is quite different...nobody is trying to sell anything in doing that.But, like I said, I'm not going to debate the spam issue.

I'll debate the advertising issue.

Quote:

wink.gif

No, it's tackier. Inviting people to check out a message board is quite different...nobody is trying to sell anything in doing that.But, like I said, I'm not going to debate the spam issue.

I'll debate the advertising issue.

Agreed! MakeupTalk is only a message board. No sales of products etc. for a profit. This board is complely banner ad supported (so click PINK ads please)
rolleyes.gif
We dont have any intentions to sell products at this time.
We are considering another message board tho. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by WearThePinkRibbon Hello! Just found this message board!
redface.gif

EVERY FOUNDATION EVER MADE BROKE OUT MY SKIN TIL I STARTED USING BARE MINERALS...FOR THE EYES, DIP THE TIP OF YOUR FINGER INTO YOUR EYECREAM, THEN LIGHTLY DIP INTO THE POWDER, SMUSH TOGETHER TO CREATE YOUR OWN CREAM SHADOW & PAT INTO AREAS YOU'RE HIGHLIGHTING OR SHADING, THEN USE THE MINERAL VEIL TO SET. TRY USING A CONCEALER BRUSH TO APPLY THIS MIXTURE & PAT IT INTO YOUR SKIN WITH YOUR FINGERTIP, THEN SET IT.

Originally Posted by WearThePinkRibbon I was "this close" to getting the Bare Escentuals kit they advertise on TV for my first adventure into mineral foundation...but I was too nervous about getting a good color match for my skin. Do you go to a Bare Escentuals store to buy the products or order them? The BE foundation colors are extreamly forgiving, I'm light complected and I've used #1, 2 & 3. My perfect match is 2 though. Check out QVC they sell great starter set and don't forget to get the brush unless you have a great kabuki brush.

Latest posts

Back