Perm or Color?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have fine straight layered hair. I usually use volumizing mousse everyday and blowdry it upside down. I use a 3/4 inch barrel to curl it. I have attached a picture of what my hair looks like every day after I go through this ritual. I have no color, perm, etc. in my hair. It is natural.

When I do not do this to my hair it is just plain flat! Fine and flat! I have tried to wear it straight like that but it just doesn't look that great in my opinion.

I have had perms before. I do like the fullness and volume they give my hair. In fact, the picture that I use for my postings is when my hair was permed and colored. It was all one length at the time. There is NO WAY my hair would look like that now with no perm or color.

I use a dime size amount of volumizing conditioner in just the ends of my hair now but when it was permed or colored I was using Infusium 23 throughout...big difference. It would get very tangly if I didn't.

I was thinking of trying color or a perm again to give it some life. My hairdresser told me about a semi-permanent color that I could use. I do like the color of my hair now and she said you can use a shade your own color just to give it shine and volume or you can even use a clear coat with no color to achieve just the shine and volume. I know when I have gotten perms in the past it is pretty curly and I do not leave my hair that curly. I will use what I call a hot air brush to pull the curls to make large waves. The perm still stays in my hair for a very long time. Even with a perm there is no way I can shampoo and air dry because it would be so out-of-control curly. That is the part I hate. No matter what I do to it I have to wash and style everyday. There is no air-dry for me...ever!

I am trying to decide what might be the best to try. This semi-permanent color (because I am afraid of commitment) or a perm. Will the color do the trick of volumizing or am I going to need a perm?

I'm not so sure that just doing a color will give you any real volume... unless you're going darker and adding some pigment to make the strands appear bulkier - it's really not much help. Have you tried BigSexyHair products?? I loveem' :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I ould say a body wave or the perm... it's more of a lasting fix. You can still do the semi perm color as well - Adding more than one shade can give the illusion of depth - so maybe some highlights/lowlights are something you might want to look into? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would do both color and perm if you want. If you get a perm there are certain rods and techniques you can do to make the hair less wild looking when left to air dry. Just a texture perm would work great on you and you could let it air dry without it looking crazy. If you do decide to do a color or highlite be sure to do them atleast 1-2 weeks after the perm, your perm will strip your color if it is done after your color.

i really like your haircolour and i dont think you should colour it. it looks very healthy too and shiny. i can also imagine you looking good with straight hair, would you consider posting a picture of it straight?

Ditto!! I think straight would really suit your face... do you have any pics?

I was going to post a straight with the curly when I created this thread but I got lazy since I never do my hair that way. I will post a straight style. Maybe later today or this weekend. I am sick today - sore throat, headache, runny nose. I can't even talk! Thank gawd I can type!!! :) But, hang on, I'll post one. Thanks all.

I really like the color of my hair too. Right now it has NOTHING on it and I really like that aspect of it. That is also part of the reason I hate to do anything to it. I remember with perms my hair tends to lighten and I just hate to damage it but I still want to investigate the options.

P.S. What is a texturizing perm? I know that you can use different sized rods and leave the chemicals in for different periods of time but that exhausts my knowledge on perms.

With texture perms, they wrap the hair differently & usually use really large perm rods so you don't get too 'poodle' looking ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope you feel better btw!!! :icon_chee

Well, after seeing the straight style pic I think you will agree with me that there is no comparison between that and my curly hair style. IMO the straight style just looks 'ick'. I even notice in the pics it looks more shiny and healthy when it is curly than it does straight. Also, I have a fat face and the with the way that my hair is cut with layers the straight style frames the face too much and shows just how fat it is. I even included another curly pic from this week - so much better!

What I think would look nice is a little more volume and 'umph' to my curly style. I figured a perm would do this but I hate to lose the fact that my hair has nothing on it. I also am afraid the perm would lighten the color and I do like my color as is.

So, I finally ordered some BigSexyHair products - hairspray and the root mousse - to see if I can kick it up a notch with these products. This way I could skip the perm and leave my hair natural.

We shall see...

I like your hair straight too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I agree that it's not as voluminous as it is curly, but then again... you can always dry it upside down (which is a good way to add volume w/ both curly & straight styles) Also, what if you dry the layers out - instead of toward your face? You have very short layers, so it's hard to get too creative - but maybe sideswept bangs & then flipped out ends? the back looks good --- I would use a round brush and do each layer at a time... brushing the hair upwards first, then styling around the brush to finish it off?:icon_wink

Latest posts

Back