My dog has lost his mind

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I had been feeding my dog home cooked meals. It's fun, easy, and I love him to death so I figured why not?

Well, hubby and I are low on cash atm, and it's prolly not going to get any better for awile, so it's back to kibble for Mr. Odin.

For those of you that don't have pets, let me tell you that when a dog is used to 'good' food and has to revert back to plain ol' kibble, it will 'hold out' thinking we'll give in and give them good stuff again.

When this happens you're supposed to put his bowl of food down for 15-20 minutes, and if he doesn't touch it, you take it back up and don't put it back until next feeding time. Eventually he'll get the picture and stop being so fussy.

Well, Odin has been snubbing his food since SUNDAY!! Just incase there's something wrong other than him 'holding out' for the good stuff, we're taking him to the vet tomorrow.

BUT, here's the crazy thing...

I have 4 plastic grocery bags filled with old books lined up against the wall in my living room. I'm waiting until the weeked to come so I can drop them off at a bookstore. Today, my husband and I went to his mom's house to wish her happy birthday . . . when we get back, we walk in and see a pile of books in the middle of the livingroom floor . . .

and no bag. :icon_eek:

Upon further inspection, we find little puddles of chewed, REGURGITATED plastic bag scattered throughout the house. :icon_eek:

Then!!! I go out to the kitchen and see him GNAWING on the plastic table cloth protector hanging from the table. :icon_eek:

Our dog has lost his FREAKIN mind.

Obviously this concerns us, so tomorrow can't come quick enough. :icon_wink

doggie's trying to teach you a lesson, she wants her home cooked meals again LOL.

I'm so sorry. Do you think he would eat his kibble if you put some warm water on it and made it gravy like?

I tried :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm too scared to even go to sleep now incase he starts to choke or something :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> He keeps finding stuff to eat that's NOT food. I just found him gnawing on a twist-tie! I don't even know where he got it from :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

He's testing you, trying to see if you'll give in and give him what he wants. He's smart. I'd still take him to the vet just to be safe but i'm sure he'll be fine so don't worry. I know how ya feel, though. Big *HUGS* to you and Odin!

He is way too smart, and can be VERY manipulative. Damn genious Border Collies >:|

You think he's eating stuff he's not supposed to in order to get me to take pity and give him goodies?

That is terrible! I hope Odin will be ok! Is it wrong though if I laughed a bit when reading of him eating the plastic tablecloth? :icon_wink

Not wrong at all!!! LOL!

I laughed my ass off when i saw it, you should have seen him just standing there, gnawing away! and i laughed even harder when I saw the books strewn about and realised where the bag was!

Aww, I agree with Lisa.

My dogs do that all the time when they get mad at me, but mostly when I leave them at home alone. But, they just chewing the plastics stuff but they don't really eat it, they just making a mess like some kind of revenge or something.Lol.

I hope Odin will be OK, he just trying to be smart and gets what he wanted.

Awwww poor baby. I do make treats for mine, and believe me they want the made treats vs bought. LOL.. Maybe you could make some beef or chicken broth and pour onto the kibbles.

I'm sorry to hear he is not eating good. I'm not sure I'm clear on what you mean by home cooked meals. I give my dog occassional table scraps, but that's it. Sometimes we mix a bit of wet food or pour chicken broth over her dry food when she gets fussy.

When I had a dog, we mistakenly started feeding him table food too. Weaning him off of it was a chore in itself, but we did it !

This is what I remember, we would start off one day by giving him table food with dog food mixed into it. The smart dog would then separate the two foods in his bowl.

Ok, score: Dog=1 / Owner=0

Then next day we did it again only this time put in a little warm water and mashed the two together ( the table food and dog food. ) We did this every day but each day putting in less and less table food. Eventually we won!

It worked for us, so you may want to try it after you find out that he's ok from the vet. It still means giving him table food, but not as much as before. Gradually you just taper it off.

Good luck

Oh and as for the plastic....my dog has eaten way worse and she's okay, so hang in there...it'll be ok.

Amethyst....too funny!!

a doggie with an attitude! lmao - i'm with becka on this one. i think mr. odin is teaching you a lesson. don't be too hard on him, i'm sure he doesn't know he's a dog and can't understand why you keep trying to feed him dog food!!!

Latest posts

Back