to get or not to get bangs...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
since i have a captive audience, i have to ramble on about whether i should get bangs. ive had baby bangs in the past, so i know they look good on me. im thinking about getting long, brow skimming bangs. i know theyre "out" right now, and that long, sideswept bangs are the thing, but that doesnt concern me.

i currently have a matrix cut (down to my bras strap in the back, slight layers, and face framing layers in the front, with the shortest being lip-length.) and i almost always wear it with a deep part on the left, swept to the side and tucked behind my ear. its time for a change.

so: would i look ok with long, blunt bangs, eye brow length? i figure that if i dont like them, i can either sweep them to the side, or cut them into baby bangs. my concern is that i have a very round face with a pointy chin, and i dont want to cut my face in half and make it look squat and be all chin.

if i decide to take the plunge, ill scale them out and cut them myself. last time i gave myself bangs from all one length hair, it turned out great, and i dont trust anyone to cut my bangs- theyre never right.

so should i do it?

without bangs

melookingup.jpg

with bangs. the pic is really dark.
frown.gif

melookingangry.jpg

something like this:

mena.jpg

Oh ya, i think it would cool on you girlie.. But would you really trust yourself more than a hairdresser?? I couldn NEVER take a scissors to my hair (yikes!)

I think bangs make women look younger. I've had that thought go through my mind lately as well. Last time I had bangs (8 years ago) they drove me crazy. I couldn't stand my hair in my face.

i dont cut my own hair except for my bangs. even with just a trim, its always crooked, hairs are missed, or it ends up not right somehow. the last time i had bangs cut from one length hair by a professional, she gave me harriet from small wonder bangs. think gwen stefani in 1995. i vehemently specified that they needed to be box bangs, not triangular in any way. i got severe, triangular bangs that started waaay too far back.

i have pro scissors, and i trust myself to do bangs.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by haloinrverse i dont cut my own hair except for my bangs. even with just a trim, its always crooked, hairs are missed, or it ends up not right somehow. the last time i had bangs cut from one length hair by a professional, she gave me harriet from small wonder bangs. think gwen stefani in 1995. i vehemently specified that they needed to be box bangs, not triangular in any way. i got severe, triangular bangs that started waaay too far back.
i have pro scissors, and i trust myself to do bangs.
smile.gif

Fair play to you Halo! I just wouldn't have the guts but you look like you know what you want. As you said, if you do it and it does turn out not like youi expected you can always cut them shorter like you had them before!

I cut my own once--NEver Again! Totally crooked-Totally had to end up paying someone to fix them! Plus, I hated waking up with my hair looking all crazy-Had to tame my hair every morning. With my bangs past my chin. I thow them in with my ponytail.

im scared! not that ill mess them up, but that theyll look bad with my face shape. every pro ive been to says that my face is the wrong shape for bangs, but ive had them for most of my life, off and on. im just scared to take the plunge!

hi skila - youre skila over at mua, right? welcome to mut.
smile.gif

I don't think you would look bad with bangs. Seems like you would look great with wispy hair. Thanks, haloinrvrse for the recommendation to this site. I'm off to shower and meet the kids' teachers.

Halo you could so do bangs but I woldn't make them to thick at first that way if you don't like them they will be easier to grow back out. But hell it's just hair, not like you will have them forever if you don't like them. I cut myself bangs a while back and hated them now I just have the side sweep thing and love it. Bangs are not really about your face shape, it's about your forehead, how big is it how wide or how small, yours seems to be normal size (lol) so I would go for it. People with big foreheads should always wear some type of bang be it long or short, but those people with small foreheads should so stay away from the shears.

lol! im glad that my forehead is of a normal size. ha haaa! you missed my IRL rant about christina riccis five-head the other day. girl needs to always wear bangs. ok........i think im gonna do it........ahhhhh!

ive been thinking about it for a few weeks....and im definitely gonna do it once it gets cooler. i hate having my hair stuck to my forehead. if it looks silly, ill know who to blame.

thanks everyone.
smile.gif

Well I'm a little late and I am going to be the odd one out who says don't do it, but I might be biased and only going by my experience with bangs. I HATE the way I look with bangs; I hadn't had bangs since I was in grade school (started letting them grow out in second grade) and then last November my dog died after 13 and a half years of being in our family. One of my ways to deal with depression is to get a new hair cut; so I cut my bangs. OK; I already look a few years younger than I am (I am 20 and everyone always thinks I'm only about 16) and they made me look like a 12 year old! They are FINALLY chin length now and I can pull them back so they're out of the way. I hated having to actually style them every day (which was the only way I could look a little closer to my actual age) and then when they reached that "too long to style but still too short to pull back" stage I was going completely crazy. They were constantly in my face and no amout of gel or hairspray or hair pins would keep them back and in place. I bought a LOT of headbands then! (um.... about 20 or 30.... lmao I needed one for every possible occasion)

And that said; I just want to add: am I the only one here who cuts their own hair? (All of it not just bangs) It's actually really easy if you know the right technique, I just cut my hair a couple weeks ago. Love it. Saves me money so I have more to spend on my true love. Makeup.
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Back