Here are my household tips, lets hear yours!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few household tips I think are good but I'd really like to know of more, lets share 'em !! Here are mine:

Know when you burn something or have food caked on a pan and you just don't feel like scrubbing it? Soak the pot overnight with water and a bounce sheet in it. Works like a charm, the food just comes right off. Make sure the dish is washed well after with hot soapy water to get any film off. This one's thanks to Martha Stewart!

Another tip is how to clean those yucky brown stains off your coffee pot and coffee maker. Toss a few ice cubes in the coffee pot (when its cold), add some vinegar, and swish it around for a few moments. It creates a chemical reaction and the stains disappear, the glass is like new. Dip the rag into the ice/vinegar mix and wipe the outside of the pot and the coffee pot too. When I waitressed I worked for such a jerk, I left the coffee pot on (industrial restaurant machine) and it burned the pot so bad almost looked like the glass was affected. He freaked out at me and I did the ice vinegar thing in front of him and made the pot like new. It felt SO good doing that and giving him the “lookâ€!

Then there's the red wine on the carpet one: I've shared this already on another post – pour a massive pile of table salt right on top of the spill. Leave it for 10 min or more until you see the salt isn’t getting any redder. (The red wine gets sucked up out of the carpet and goes into the salt). Then scoop off the salt carefully w/ a spoon, and you’re usually left with just a faint pink spot, just finish cleaning/dabbing the carpet with soap, cleaner or however you normally do it. People tend to look at you like your nuts at a party when you do this but they get it later “ )

great tips, becka! thanks for sharing!

i have no tips, but i can't wait to read everyone else's!

Those are great tips! Was wondering what would work for the coffee pot! :clap

Mr Clean Magic Eraser!@ They REALLY ARE MAGIC! I LOVE these things! scuff marks, soap scum, wall marks...I don't know how they work but I won't be without them again! Also...I tried the versions of this....nothing is the same as the real Mr Clean ones.

Have a S/O that gets oil/grease all over his clothes? I worked at a refinery for a while and a wife of a co-worker told me to add a cup of ammonia to my laundry to get the oil/smell out... it works

hmmm, will put on the thinkin cap, surely I have more :icon_wink

Oh yea....if you like OxyClean (and I DO) and you run out but need some for a load of whites....adding casade will do much the same

Great Tips!

Mine are:

• Febreeze is nothing but fabric softener and water. I like to buy my own fabric softener (Snuggle) and mix it in my own bottle (1 part snuggle, 2 parts water). I also add a few tsps of vinegar or vodka if I have it. I prefer to add vodka.
  • Carpet shampoo is nothing but deoderiser(sometimes) and laundry detergent! I use my own detergent (Tide April Fresh, one part detergent, 2 parts hot water)
  • Have a 'home' for everything in your house!
  • Furniture/appiances: If no one sits on/at it, or uses it GET RID OF IT!
  • It's hard, esp when you really like whatever it is, but just do it! I had a beautiful circular coffee table that I just loved but it was way to big for my apartement. So I promised myself that if I got rid of it I would buy myself a new coffee table when I moved into a bigger place. It feels so much better in my home now! A cluttered place can really make you feel like crap.
  • I have to tell myself "If you like it that much, why don't you use it?" and "It's better to toss something and buy another one when you're sure you'll use it than have it clutter your home!"
  • CLOSETS! (this is a big one) If you haven't worn it in 2-3 months, chances are you don't like it that much anymore. Donate it to someone who will appreciate it. If this is hard to do, promise yourself you'll buy yourself something really pretty that you WILL wear if you toss out the stuff you're bored with.

Vinegar can be used as a substitute for liquid fabric softener-especially for babies and toddlers

Softscrub or vim on walls with a kleenex for those wonderful little hand prints and doodles-non-abrasive to walls

rubbing alcohol works well for mirrors and shining up faucets, cleaning phones and windowsills

I also love the Mr Clean Magic Eraser for scuffs

For a bleach alternative I buy natural bleach which essentially is hydrogen peroxide and works well without the smell and doesn't bleach fabrics

I always keep an eye on my lint trap on my dryer-periodically clean it with a little brush and water until water runs through the mesh-also saves longevity of dryer and efficiency

Keep a little bag in the car for garbage-that way your car will be cleaner and you can just pitch it.

Every season do a cleaning of things you don't use(pitch, donate or repair) and organize the things you do use.

Keep the sheet set in a pillow case in linen closet-keeps it organized and full set together

I use fabric softener sheets in the car, couch and closet for freshness

Great tips gals!

Fire69 - I can't believe those magic erasers really work! I've heard that from other people too, but, to look at them I just think WT? how can that little thing do anything??

Kee I like your comment, if you don't use it, get rid of it. I totally do this too, clothes tho - what?? 2-3 mos if not worn, turf, yikes!!

Yep, chances are that if I haven't worn it in 2-3 months I'm prolly not planning on wearing it anytime soon. If I let it go longer than that I'm almost 100% sure that 3 months will just turn into 12 or longer until I get rid of it. This applies mostly to shirts though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I saw another one on TV yesterday....if you have a water ring on a piece of furniture put a dollop of mayonnaise on it and wipe off. Does it work???? beats me but it was on Discovery Home Channel.

The whole world doesn't know that one Lina, I've never heard of the HP trick! I wish I'd learnt this tip years ago, TY

We have a few scuff marks on our white cabinets which I've never been able to get off, maybe I should give the erasers a try, I'm still so pessimistic about them, I mean, they look like tiny little pencil erasers, its hard to imagine that they can do anything unless you've used them I guess.

how bizarre !! It guess it wouldn't hurt to try it, I mean what would you have to lose if you already have a water ring. Mayo seems to be a useful household item, washing hair with it, water rings :icon_bigg

great tips, this is not a household tip, but fabric softener sheets can also be used in a pinch to smooth flyaway hair or when you are wearing pantyhose and your skirt starts to "stick" you can rub the hose with the sheet. (helpful in the winter)

Those are all great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Here are mine, mostly learnt from my mom:

1. Put a small piece of coal in a corner of yur fridge. It removes smell of fish, or any other unpleasant odor.

2. Rub a fabric softner paper on your pillow - it gives that fresh, just washed smell.

3. Turn your pillow over to the other side - so you end up using both sides before you throw it in your washing machine.

If you put hydrogen peroxide on a colored piece of clothing won't that bleach out your item of clothing? I'd be leery of that one. I do know that spray & wash and cold water takes out blood stains very well, do not use hot water to get out blood stains. My mom taught me that one.

And THOSE MR CLEAN ERASERS WORK WONDERS...they clean everything!!!!!:clap

haaa, lavendar, I'm always flipping my pillow to get a cool side, so that one doesn't work for me, but good tips!!!:clap

Peekaboo, I love this tip, I'm going to start doing this I think!!!:icon_chee

Fantastic tips!I'm going to start doing some of these...(my house holds its breath...)

Latest posts

Back