Woman fined for applying make-up while driving!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'Actions Beggar Belief'

A woman has been fined £200 for using both hands to put on make-up while driving along one of Britain's most dangerous roads. Donna Marie Maddock, 22, applied her eyeshadow as she attempted to navigate the A499 into Pwllheli in north Wales.

More than 40 people were killed or injured on the road between 2001 and 2003.Maddock, of Mold, north Wales, was caught by video cameras designed to film speeding motorists.She was snapped with an eye brush in one hand and a compact in the other while travelling at 32mph in a 40mph zone.

The motorist pleaded guilty to a charge of careless driving. After the case, a spokeswoman for North Wales Police said: "You need to be in control at all times and Miss Maddock's actions beggars belief."

Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, added: "She was putting her own life and the lives of other people at risk just for the sake of applying her make-up." As well as the fine, Maddock ordered to pay £55 costs and given six points on her licence. North Wales Police had put the cameras on the A499 as part of the nationwide "Arrive Alive" campaign. The scheme specifically targets "high-risk" roads, with more than 60 routes under surveillance.

1386465.jpg

Source

Opinoins? Did you ever apply make up while driving?

That's crazy! I can definitely understand the concern..but weren't they a little harsh? They could have just gave her a warning. I have applied lip stuff while driving, but never eyeshadow or anything like that! There's nooo way. I would wreck. Plus, I am a really safe driver, prolly too safe. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've seen those busy UK roads on the tv, they look brutal ... I agree w/ fining her! I've applied lipstick before but, BOTH hands off the wheel, and she was probably using the rear view mirror, I think that's a bit much.

LMAO OMG I can you see some MUT girls doing that, I've put lipstick on while at a red light ... haha

Yea eyeshadow is a bit much. I have seen people doing some crazy things while driving. But I can't even apply mascara or lipstick while my husband is driving!

I have done the whole lipstick thing but only while stuck in traffic and the car isn't moving. I cant believe she was driving over 30mph doing eyeshadow though!! How is that possible? I think she got what she deserved. What if she had crashed and killed someone because she was applying make up

I think she deserved it and got off lightly, i never apply make up or answer my phone or take my attention elsewhere whilst im driving, even though i consider myself as a safe driver you never know when you can have an accident or worse injure someone

How anyone can apply MU properly while driving 30MPH is a mystery to me - I have enough trouble doing a good enough job at 0 MPH in front of my 6ft mirror!! :icon_lol:

how good a MU job do you think she was actually doing ... applying full e/s in the car, it probably looks like crap :laughno:

I've only applied lipstick or quickly powdered my nose while sitting at a red light. NEVER while driving!

Before I moved out of my mom's house, I used to sit on Route 80 a major highway in traffic, but we were moving along at about 25-40 mph. I was amazed at the things I'd see. People reading books, shaving, eating, reading a newspaper, grading papers, putting on makeup, tweezing eyebrows. It was NUTS!

I don't get it...She was charged for driving at 32mph in a 40mph zone?? She was charged for driving too slow? I agree that applying makeup was not right, especially both hands off the wheel.

I have applied lipstick sometimes...but only when I am waiting at the traffic lights.

I was once fishing for something in my handbad with one hand while my other hand was on the wheel. Even then, I almost lost control as another car was moving into my lane! It was a really scary feeling becuz I could have been in an accident in a second!

Then I realised that whatever it was - makeup or cellphone or chocolate whatever...can wait. It isn't worth to risk my life....and put others' lives in danger. I have been more careful about driving since then.

I think we've all done the lipstick thing. But e/s?! I've once seen a girl putting a mascara on while driving, not at the read light but driving! Luckily she didn't put her eye out.

I think she got what she deserves. Not only is it dangerous it's also pretty stupid. I'd rather go out without mu that poke my eye out or kill someone.

I think they have did the right thing.bcos they dont only risk their lives but other lives too!!!

Totally agree.

One of my friend in the u.s. always picks up call during the drive without hands-free mic and puts makeup(mailny mascara & lipstick) as well:scared:

scarely.

But six points???? If their point system is anything like ours is in the US, she's in big trouble. I think here RECKLESS driving is 6 points.
Yes, I've applied makeup while driving. Full face. But then, I've done alot of stupid things while driving, even changed my clothes, mostly when I was younger. Now I might put on lip gloss or maybe whip out a compact to powder my nose at a light - though those days are over since I started using Bare Minerals-

(Touch ups are a bit more complicated!)

B

i feel bad for her, but you've got to keep your hands on that steering wheel. even more than that you've got to watch out for those other crazies that have both hands off the wheel as well!

She wasnt charged for the speed.. she was charged for having both hands off the wheel!

Back