Becoming a Makeup Artist

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From time to time, members ask questions about careers in makeup artistry. The following links might be useful if you are interested in the trade.

tn_28428_p_A8EA1538-2B3D-897A-2F95600C041F6FC3.jpg
192.jpg
tn_10045_p_4181FEAE-02D7-4C1E-757AAE8380A28F2D.jpg

Makeup Artist Career Info

-- Beaute' Made Simple by Robert Jones.Beauty Book touted as being along the ranks of Kevin Aucoin's books.

-- MakeUp Artist Magazine

-- www.makeupartistnetwork.com

-- Makeup Artist Bootcamp for the attention span challenged. Click here.

--To learn about breaking into the makeup, hair or fashion styling industry,

check out the The Hair, Makeup & Styling Career Guide.

-- Great Article: 10 Questions to Ask before Signing up for a Makeup School.

-- Beauty School directory

-- List of Canadian and USA cosmetology schools.

-- Some of the best schools around:

Empire Makeup Academy - www.MakeupEmpire.com

Makeup Designory – www.MakeupDesignory.com

Studio Makeup Academy - www.StudioMakeupAcademy.com

Westmore Academy - www.WestmoreAcademy.com

Hope this comes in handy.

biggrin.gif
Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I see they have done a great job in copying our graphics LOL

Originally Posted by Californian

From time to time, members ask questions about how to become a makeup artist. The following site that might be useful to someone interested in the tricks of the trade:
www.makeupartistnetwork.com

Hope it comes in handy.

biggrin.gif
Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I see they have done a great job in copying our graphics LOL What??!! I suppose they do resemble MuT graphics, but they are not the same, eh? Do tell...
0012image3.jpg

Just seems coincidental that they look this way to me...

What??!! I suppose they do resemble MuT graphics, but they are not the same, eh? Do tell...
0012image3.jpg

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Just seems coincidental that they look this way to me... Do you want me to beat them up? Either that or I can send them a fresh pot of my grandmother's "enchilada surprise" which will send them to the bathroom for weeks.
felixcat.gif

Naw, I'll leave the beating up to people who spam us with "I LOVE ES" info

LOL

Do you want me to beat them up? Either that or I can send them a fresh pot of my grandmother's "enchilada surprise" which will send them to the bathroom for weeks.
felixcat.gif

Originally Posted by Californian Do you want me to beat them up? Either that or I can send them a fresh pot of my grandmother's "enchilada surprise" which will send them to the bathroom for weeks.
felixcat.gif

LOL Donde Esta El Bano Abuela
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Californian From time to time, members ask questions about careers in makeup artistry. The following links might be useful if you are interested in the trade.

tn_28428_p_A8EA1538-2B3D-897A-2F95600C041F6FC3.jpg
192.jpg
tn_10045_p_4181FEAE-02D7-4C1E-757AAE8380A28F2D.jpg

Makeup Artist Career Info

-- Beaute' Made Simple by Robert Jones.Beauty Book touted as being along the ranks of Kevin Aucoin's books.

-- MakeUp Artist Magazine

-- www.makeupartistnetwork.com

-- Makeup Artist Bootcamp for the attention span challenged. Click here.

--To learn about breaking into the makeup, hair or fashion styling industry,

check out the The Hair, Makeup & Styling Career Guide.

-- Great Article: 10 Questions to Ask before Signing up for a Makeup School.

-- Beauty School directory

-- List of Canadian and USA cosmetology schools.

-- Some of the best schools around:

Empire Makeup Academy - www.MakeupEmpire.com

Makeup Designory – www.MakeupDesignory.com

Studio Makeup Academy - www.StudioMakeupAcademy.com

Westmore Academy - www.WestmoreAcademy.com

Hope this comes in handy.

biggrin.gif
Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Can't believe they didn't add Joe Blasco's school to that list..He trained Ronnie Spector and Alexis Vogel( of Playboy fame)His school is also the best in the way of Special FX makeup..Right there in Hollywood..He's been around since the good old days..I think he was friends with Max Factor

OK...

Here ya makeup artist peoples:

http://www.joeblasco.com/blascoschools/index.htm

There's Joe's School. Check it out, chickies!

34.jpg
CA

34.jpg
FL

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=374><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
t.gif
he name Joe Blasco is rapidly becoming as well-known to the general public as it already is in the make-upindustry. Mr. Blasco is highly respected and world-famous for his work in the development of new and unique techniques for special make-upeffects. He is an innovator of the, “Bladder technique†utilized in films depicting horror/monster transformations showing bulging and bubbling skin effects. He is also recognized as an expert in the realm of cosmetics compounding, high-fashion beauty make-up, and make-upartistry education.

blank.gif
Born in a small suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Joe Blasco began his study of the art of make-upat the early age of seven.

blank.gif
“I was fascinated from the start,†he says, “The minute I saw pictures of Jack Pierce applying the finishing touches to Boris Karloff’s Frankenstein’s Monster’s make-up, I knew that was what I wanted to do.â€

blank.gif
He was awarded a scholarship to cosmetology school, and after graduating in 1964 at the age of 18 he arrived in Hollywood to work for the Max Factor Cosmetics Company as a traveling make-upartist representative. After receiving their training he discovered he was to be sent to Pittsburgh to represent the company in various department stores. Unhappy with the situation, he left the Factor Company with $50 in his pocket to pursue a career in Hollywood as a make-upartist.

blank.gif
He worked six months as a telephone salesperson for the Time-Life Magazine Company, then went to work as a copy dispatcher and advertising trainee for the Los Angeles Times.

blank.gif
During his employment at the Times, he began apprenticing with several make-upartists to perfect .

blank.gif
Served as head make-upartist on numerous television shows and motion pictures all of which dealt with creative make-upranging from beautiful high-fashion to special horror and science fiction creations including: His existing and growing knowledge of the art of make-up. In 1967 he left the Los Angeles Times to take a job as an instructor with a small, obscure society make-upschool in Westwood, California. The school's owner was very impressed with Blasco's talent and permitted him to make major adjustments in the school's curriculum and plans for the future.

blank.gif
Recognizing the need for a course that taught motion picture and television make-upartistry, Blasco created a new curriculum for the school. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=20 height=487>http://www.joeblasco.com/blascoschools/cosmeticsnew/pics/achievements/blank.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width=374><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.joeblasco.com/blascoschools/cosmeticsnew/pics/achievements/joeblasco.jpg

http://www.joeblasco.com/blascoschools/cosmeticsnew/pics/achievements/blank.gifThe school, under Blasco’s direction, became the first to teach full-time courses in professional make-upartistry. Blasco, however, found himself unhappy with restrictions placed on him at the school and soon left to continue pursuing his career in the motion picture and television industries. For three years, while working for various production companies, Blasco also apprenticed with major professional cosmetics manufacturing firms as a Cosmetics Chemist and compounder. As a make-upartist working in film and television, he experienced first hand what made a cosmetic product ideal for use in these mediums.

http://www.joeblasco.com/blascoschools/cosmeticsnew/pics/achievements/blank.gifHis career progressed rapidly and he became well-known for his ability to create and apply any type of Make-up in any situation. Producers came to realize when they called upon Joe Blasco, they could rely on the fact that he could handle any make-upproblem no matter how demanding. Blasco worked at all the major television networks in Hollywood as his reputation for perfection grew. He became personal make-upartist to scores of personalities including Bette Midler, Olivia Newton-John, Lauren Bacall, Carol Burnett, and the late Orson Welles. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks for the article. That was very informative and interesting. I was not fimallar with Joe Blasco before.

i found this website ElitePro Beauty Courses, i don't if it legit or not. has anyone ever heard of it? if u have have let me know.

holla @ cha girl,

mzmocha

Latest posts

Back