Japanese hair straightening

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In may, I am planning on getting Japanese hair straightening. Two of my cousins actually have it already. Recently they have been noticing that their hair has been falling off a little more than usual. Does anyone else have this problem who has Japanese hair straightening?

I have it done and I do it for a living. It has been the greatest thing I have ever done for my hair. It is a chemical process and done incorrectly it can cause damage, so can bleach and color. With that being said, I do notice that I lose alot of hair, my clients tell me that they do as well...but I have alot of hair and after five years of straightening it I still have a TON of hair...so I know that really doesn't answer your question except that it isn't that uncommon to notice the shedding of hair. We are supossed to lose between 100 to 150 hairs per day, maybe something about the hair chemistry being changed maybe makes it more noticable or because we know we have done a chemical process to our hair we are more aware of it??? Hope this helps

How is your hair normally without this procedure? And how does it leave your hair afterwards? I have done the CHI relaxer but had wanted to try the Japanese straightning.

one of my cousins has really frizzy hair....sometimes it just looks like a big frizz ball...when she got japanese hair straightening it was complete 360...it was stick straight, silky, shiny and alot calmer !

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it unless your hair is super curly, near impossible to straighten, and EXTREMLY healthy. Even after a chemical straightening, you won't be able to just get out of the shower, let it dry on its own and expect pin straight hair. You're still going to have to blowdry it and straighten out the kinks and waves. It's meant to relax curl... which is why many African American women use this method --- because their hair is very coarse and curly. They really can't straighten it that well without it, because the root and follicles are predestined to always hold that kink-curl pattern. Girls with wavy hair or straight hair that are looking for a quick fix are usually disappointed. It's very damaging and drying, and the results may not be what you're looking for. It took over a year & a half to get my hair back to normal after chemical straightening... I was looking for a time-saving fix, but I was left with kinky straw. Biggest mistake I've ever made with my hair. If I knew then what I know now, my hair would've maintained its health, length, and vitality. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but unless you are African American or have that same type of hair texture - I would stick with your blowdryer or flat iron. (With a heat protectant spray, of course! lol) It might seem like a pain to do it all the time, but if you have thin, fine, 'basically' straight hair or a slight wave... it's worth it to keep your hair :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's a basic chemical straightener... they market it as 'EasyStraight"... most horrible product I've ever seen. But its the same chemicals as used in almost every other straightener... regardless which brand or name it goes by... like perms --- you can get Nexxus, you can get Quantum, same stuff - different box.

actually a chemical straightener is completley different from the Japanese

method, they are two different chemicals altogether, and you are righ NY angel, the straightener you did is very damaging, it is intended for african american hair but had been used for caucasian hair because it was all we had at the time. The Japanese straighteners are Thyogloclate based, same main ingredient in Perm solutions. Chemical relaxers are sodium hydroxite, basically Lye!! Very harsh on the hair!!! The Japanese method is Thyo and proteins and collagens. How it works is the solution breaks down the protein bonds in your hair, whether they are curly, wavy or frizzy, or all of the above. When it has processed sufficiently it is rinsed out then conditioned. Then you blow dry about 80 to 90%. then the flat ironing process begins, that is what really makes the hair straight!! After that is done you neutralize, rinse and condition again and then dry. I have been having it done for 5 years and my hair is long and I color...but like any chemical process it does depend on your hair to begin with. If you have fragile hair and are prone to breakage, then maybe it is not for you. It is not recommended for those with heavy highlights either.

Its best to go for a consultation and ttry and chose someone with a fair amount of experience. Ask alot of questions, alot of my clients do alot of research on the net before they even come to me!!

hope this helps

i've never heard of japanese hair straightening .. .although i did go in to have my hair chemically straightened .....

.. wut's japanese hair straightening ?

That's weird, I had that once, but it didn't do any damage to my hair though.

It made my hair sooooo smooth and straight but only for 9 months.

I dunno - I'm scarred for life against these things!! lol I'm not a flat iron fan either... so I don't think I'd be able to deal with the chemicals and the iron in one sitting... lol

ETA: this article HERE... this is what I've heard -- so it's another reason I'm hesitant with any kind of chemical straightening... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

yes its definitley something to be done with great consideration, and yes there are some horror stories out there, but like the last paragraph in the article says, make sure you go to an experienced stylist. Like I mentioned before, I have had it done for over 5 years now, every 6 months, and I love my hair. I have clients that I have been doing for 5 years now and they stil love it, BUT it is not for everyone, especially highlighted hair....anyhow I should take a pic of mine I just had a touch up on Monday and it is so nice when freshly done!!!

They work very well, but like Leony, it only stays for about 9 months. A lot of my friends got it(get it) done, and it looks great but it is expensive! Not just the process, but also the maintance. Like you have to buy special shampoo, always get trims because the ends of your hair are super dead. And if you have really curly/coarse hair, when the roots start growing out, it looks terrible. I also find that it makes a lot of their hair look flat.

Isn't this kind of like the CHI, this sounds like what they did to me, however I don't know exactly about what the CHI products contain.

Latest posts

Back