Dare to Be: A Gender Bender (April 5th - April 18th)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This challenge was chosen by Joyeuux, the winner of the D2B Frida Khalo contest. And the topic for the next two weeks is .... A Gender Bender.

So go on and post your 'manly' entries here :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If any of you have any inspirations pics for this theme feel free to post them here.

I can only find these pics for good inspirations pics.

How about these?

homosexual_wideweb__430x238.jpg

_41199085_trans_ap_220.jpg

OMG, Dee!! I was totally going to use Dame Edna for my inspiration in making over my husband!! I'm serious! LMAO!

img_zoom.jpg

He makes th^at same exact expression all the time! LOL

sweet ......... can wait to see your man in drag!!!!!!

would he realy let u do that?? My hubby won't even let me put l/g on him........homophobic:laughno:

LOL Yeah, I dunno. Maybe I can do it while he's asleep. I just need to find a purple wig and some wild glasses.

LMAO Lisa!!!! get him real drunk then paint him up when he passes out

“Tell the boys I am wearing the same.”

— Marlene Dietrich

drag_king.jpg

Although the drag king movement is part of the recent renaissance of drag, it must be seen in the context of the history of cross-dressing and male impersonation. In the simplest terms, cross-dressing occurs when one sex wears the clothes of the other for any reason. The term "drag" is thought to be a colloquialism from the Elizabethan and Jacobean period of English history, when male actors performed female parts in a transvestite theater.

Although this practice ceased after the Restoration of Charles II in 1660, when female actresses were introduced to the English stage, the inversion of roles continued but with a twist. Instead of boys or men playing female roles, women often impersonated men on stage in the "roaring girl" roles that featured the actress in breeches.
Male drag is a staple of theatrical and cinematic tradition. Examples range from the famous stage performances of Sarah Bernhardt as Hamlet and (more recently) Pat Carroll as Falstaff, to the operatic convention of travesti or "trouser roles" in which mezzosopranos sing male roles, to the memorable presences in male attire of movie actresses as varied as Clara Bow, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, Katharine Hepburn, and Julie Andrews.

Some entertainers, such as blues singer Gladys Bentley, who sang about "bulldaggers," while dressed in tails and tuxedo, sexualize the cross-dressing. Although cross-dressing always has a potential to destabilize assumptions about gender and sexuality, the impersonation of men, even by black lesbians, has usually not been seen as threatening when presented as entertainment. Consequently, drag kings are usually greeted with enthusiasm even by predominantly heterosexual audiences.

P488080.JPG

tipping052203_big.jpg

victor.jpg

Gweynth Paltrow as James Dean (makeup by Kevyn Aucoin)
gw-3-26-james.JPG

Mr. Gay USA FMI (for Male Impersonation)
waiting1.jpg

The Atlanta Drag Kings
adk_group.jpg

el_pachuco_cu.jpg

Shane1.jpg.w180h278.jpg

casa1tn.jpg

Ladies, these are all women!

Latest posts

Back