Attending Makeup School....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jia

Reaction score
Im just curious to know have any of you attended makeup school and if so, which one?

Did you find it beneficial? Did you consider yourself a novice or were you already pretty well versed in makeup before attending?

Im thinking of attending MUD (makeupdesignory.com), not necessarily for professional reasons but b/c the area in which I work requires that one wear makeup...good makeup. And it'd be beneficial to know. BUT if it happened to be something that I became good and folks wanted to pay, then that wouldnt be so bad either! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyway, whether you've been or not, post your thoughts. Thank you

Welcome to MUT Jia. I'm Raquel from NJ. There are quite a few ladies (and a gent!) here who have attended make up school. I'm sure someone will be in here soon to help you out!

Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Lets hope I get some responses then! And thanks for the welcome!!

Ive been here for a LONG time..just lurked.

hello jia and welcome to mut. i'm monnie from michigan. i took a course in which some time was devoted to makeup, but not necessarily a "makeup school".

Hi jia, and welcome to MUT, I recently went MUD, and that school looks great, i dont think i wll be attending that school as it is a bit expensive for me, but it does look like a great school, i went to the one in manhattan..i think i will ve attemding The MakeUp Shop, I can take the classes at my lesuire and it is less expensive for me, and i have heard great things about it as well..Toni Brittan from the makeup shop holds, pivate sessions for the same price as a normal class and she works with my schedule..

Hi,

Welcome to Makeup Talk. The group is great and you'll find some wonderful makeup tips here.

I had my m/u skills refined at the Makeup Shop in NYC. Tobi Britton is one of my good friends and mentors.

I went to school here in NY. I went to LIBS, it was kind of expensive but pretty worth it. The teachers were really good. I was a self-taught makeup artist until I attended school. I attended school to update my technique and get the certificate.

welcome to MuT, jia! glad you decided to post :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

jeffrey, i didn't know you went to LIBS. i looked into that, but i thought their stuff was like, 10% makeup application.

Hi Jia,

I recently attended Complections International Makeup School here in Toronto, and I loved it. The reason I went to that school was because I wanted to gain more confidence and pretty much improve my techniques. Before that, all I know about makeup I learned from books.

The instructors in the school are all working pros that are the top of their game.

If you are planning on attending a school, make sure you visit them first and ask all kinds of questions such as accreditation and all that.

Many people, even my instructor, said that in the fashion industry, a certificate means nothing. All they look at is your talent. But a school (a good one) will certainly help you in networking and techniques. And I'm one of those that think school is never a waste of time:)

Did you go for the cosmetology class or for the makeup artists program? I had to verify I wanted the makeup artists program.

oh, i never actually went, but i looked into it and most of the other ones here in NYC have a very short, basic makeup course, so that's why i figured LIBS did the same, but thanks for letting us know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

LIBS was about 4-6 weeks I think for the mu1 course. It went well for me. I did hate the nickel & dime tactics of the shool. We had the largest mu class in LIBS history (10 students.) Since all of us were pretty knowledgeable about mu, the course went quicker.

I want to attend makeup school so bad. Believe it or not, in Soth Florida there is really only one good makeup school called Cosmix and it is like $6K. So, my husband won't pay for me to go and I can't afford it (he sucks). It is so expensive though, don't know if it would be worth the money.

Does anyone know of a good online school maybe for alot less money or any other place in South Florida?

I am currently taking courses at Complections International too! GREAT school. I just finished their hairstyling component, and it was fantastic. We had a really great instructor who was a lot of fun to work with. I start the makeup component on Monday! :rockwoot:

I took two courses, six weeks each at a hair school iin 1998. You had to past the beginner level to take the next course. I did received two certificates, not a license, but where I live there isn't really a demand for makeup artists. Unfortunately they don't offer these courses now and most of the schools are geared towards esthetics and hair. The main jobs are in dept stores or unless you do bridal work, freelance etc. Some big movies have been filmed here in the past few years, so maybe the demand will go higher. I did a friends wedding makeup and through her, a few others, but other than that haven't branched out.

I thought the course was fun and a learning experience for myself, picked up different tricks etc.

Back