Caked up issue

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting to have an issue with the way my makeup looks once it's applied on. I hate the way it looks on my face. I mean, it comes out the way I want it to be and everything, but it looks caked on. As if I have 5 layers of makeup on. I just hate the fake look. I've seen this on ton of women before I started getting into the makeup world and always said, "Ewww." Now it's happening to me!

Is there any way to make makeup look more natural? I've heard of that Evian water Spray. Can that work?

I've found water sprays do help eliminate cakiness and give the appearance of make-up melting into your own skin. If you let us know what products you are using though, we may be able to suggest other alternatives and things that would work well together.

what kind of foundations do you use (specific brand, names) and how do you apply them? do you use moisturizer underneath? what kind?

I've had this problem before as well. It really all depends on many factors. Anything can make your make up look cakey. First off, make sure your face is very well moisturized before you put foundation on your face. Any dry patches can make your make up look terrible. Also do you use a foundation primer ( for example MAC Prep + Prime/Smashbox Photo Finish ) ?? That can make a big difference. Also, what do you apply your foundation with? I used to apply mine with a sponge but, i've found that a brush can make your foundation look 100x better.

Have you tried more sheer makeup? I used to wear medium coverage foundation and looking back, it did give me kind of a caked-on look. (Using a foundation brush helped a little but not a lot.) I also think I used to use too much powder. And if your mu is not the perfect color for your skin, that will also emphasize the caked-on look -- if you don't blend your foundation well, do you have a noticeable line at your jaw of where you can tell the foundation is a different color than your skin? Because when I try mu that is not the right color it looks really fake!

Right now I am using sheer foundation and translucent powder (Prescriptives Traceless foundation and All Skins Powder) and it looks so much better! It evens out my skintone a little but looks super natural, it doesn't even look like I'm wearing mu! So as long as I keep a good concealor around for blemishes and undereye circles, I love how my mu looks now!

It could be that you are not moisturizing you skin properly nor exfoliating after cleansing before applying your foundation. This is causing your foundation to look cakey.

Or your foundation could be expired.:icon_scratch:

You can try using a damp sponge with a "stipple-ing" motion. You may need some practice doing this so that you don't actually wipe or move any of your mu, but whenever i want alot of coverage i use this technique. It actually makes my skin look insanely perfect and helps to make is last even longer.

Oh, when i do this i always have powder over foundation/blush. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sure! First I start off with a moisturizer, of course. Than let it sit on my face for about a min. Than comes the liquid foundation. I apply the foundation with a sponge. It's L'oreal's True Match. After that, I use MAC Studio Fix pressed powder. And lastly, I apply the blush.

It might be bc you are basically applying TWO foundations... Studio Fix is a Foundation as well as True Match. Have you tried using MAC Sheer Pressed Powder instead of Studio Fix? Or maybe just a translucent or medium Blot Powder (loose or pressed)?

Nope, haven't tried MAC Sheer Pressed Powder. Might have to look into that, thanx.

I remember even before I would add 2 foundations (silly me) and just L'oreal's True Match alone, I still got that SAME cakey effect. Could it be the foundation I'm using?

Honestly, it COULD be the True Match itself... I tried it, and while it was ok, I didn't like it all that much.

You can either try a different foundation (Revlon Age Defying is pretty good) or try a different powder on top, it is all up to you hun!

Haha okay thanx! Yeah, I might have to throw that bottle out and start my search again for the GREATEST foundation out there.. :eusa_wall:

LMAO! Good luck hun... Honestly that is an ongoing quest for everyone! Much like the quest for finding the perfect mascara that gives you complete false lashes and utter gorgeousness... :eusa_wall::eusa_wall::eusa_wall:

Try out a couple of different foundations. I tried Revlon Age Defying after some good recs on MuT and bc they have small "trial" sizes that you can buy for a buck or two to try before you buy.

try out using studio fix by itself.

make sure your skin is moisturized before foundation. then pick up some fix + spray and use that after you do your foundation. it helps set down the makeup.

if you want to use liquid for more coverage or because of your skintype you prefer liquid, then apply it with a brush. before you put it on though, spray your brush a couple of times with the fix+. it will give the brush more slip and a little extra time to smooth out your foundation.

if you want a bit more coverage, then do the select sheer pressed powder. it will also help set the liquid foundation. then spray with fix+.

Thanx Liz!! I am def. considering getting a brush to apply foundation with. I've always used the sponge, never did I think about getting a brush. Does Essence of Beauty have any good brushes to apply foundation with or no? Or am I going to have to look into the MAC brushes?

EOB does have a great foundation brush. It is a big one so it won't take you more than a second to put on your foundation! It is about $10 and can be bought at CVS.

Latest posts

Back