O'Donnell to Replace Vieira on 'The View'

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rosie O'Donnell is expected to make a surprise return to daytime television by taking over exiting Meredith Vieira's slot on the talk show "The View."

O'Donnell's appointment was reported Thursday by the newsmagazine "Extra." It was confirmed by a person close to the show who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because "The View" wanted to make the announcement on Friday's show.

ABC officials declined comment on the report on Thursday.

Dubbed "The Queen of Nice" when her syndicated talk show went on the air in 1996 and became an instant hit, O'Donnell won six Daytime Emmy Awards in six years as best talk-show host. She left the show to help raise four children with her partner, Kelli Carpenter O'Donnell.

It's an important appointment for "The View," which was created by Barbara Walters. Vieira's news background helped make her the solid center of the program on the days Walters didn't appear on air.

But Vieira joined the game of musical anchor chairs that began when Katie Couric chose to move to the "CBS Evening News." NBC quickly named Vieira as her replacement on the "Today" show, where she will begin work in September.

Joy Behar and Star Jones Reynolds, who have been bickering at each other lately, are also members of "The View" round-table, along with Elisabeth Hasselbeck. They're nominated together in the best talk-show host category at Friday's Daytime Emmy Awards.

"I think every agent in America is calling," Walters told The Associated Press shortly after Vieira's departure was announced on April 6.

O'Donnell has acted in a variety of movie, TV and stage shows, including the films "A League of Their Own" and "Sleepless in Seattle," and "Grease" on Broadway.

She should have no problem holding her own with the other ladies on "The View." Since leaving daytime television, O'Donnell has become a strong advocate of gay and lesbian marriage and adoption. With her partner, she operates a cruise line for gay and lesbian families that was recently featured in an HBO movie.

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060427/114619494000p.html

Source

If this really happens the person she is going to be fighting with will be Elisabeth Haselback because she is a hardcore Republic and Rosie is very liberal.

This could be interesting.

I totally forgot about that. I wonder is she will still be the Queen of Nice or if she will go crazy on this show.

i like rosie.. the only people i like on the view is vieira and joy.. if they get rif of joy then im done with that show!

Rosie definitely has point of view!! I like her outspokenness. This could be interesting...

This is what Rosie recently said about Star and her weight loss. Star is such a diva I can't imagine her wanting to work with Rosie after this but it would be interesting:

O'DONNELL BLASTS 'DELUSIONAL' JONES REYNOLDS

LATEST: Comedienne/actress ROSIE O'DONNELL has blasted US talk show host STAR JONES REYNOLDS for telling the American public about her recent breast lift operation - despite her refusal to admit how she lost so much weight. Jones Reynolds, one of the presenters of daytime show THE VIEW, has lost 150 pounds (68 kilograms) over the past two years, but refuses to give away the secret of her success, only revealing the weight loss started following a "medical intervention". Jones Reynolds was absent from The View last week (31MAR06) as she recovered from a breast lift operation, but phoned up her show to tell her co-hosts, "Friday was my 44th birthday, but my boobs think I'm still 20." Her decision to make her recent operation public has baffled O'Donnell, who believes Jones Reynolds has undergone stomach bypass surgery. O'Donnell says, "I don't understand with Star Jones why she's alright talking about a breast augmentation but not gastric bypass. "If you have to have a gastric bypass because you feel it's a medical emergency and you have no alternative, then you have that, and there are repercussions to having that. "But to pretend that you lost it doing Pilates, it's kind of delusional."

04/04/2006 09:23

For sure. I don't know why Star wants to BS around about how she lost all that weight. Maybe she could help other people by talking about it.

That show could use some new life...it's become a total bore IMO.

i can't STAND rosie! why? i don't know. she just seems like a ***** with a stick up her ass!!

I feel the same way about Star Jones...something about her just grates me...:icon_roll

i was afraid to reply until i saw Jennifer's reply .. .hope no one takes it the wrong way ... but i can't remember if it's something Rosie said in the past or wut .. but .. .i used to like her and for some reason ... i dont anymore ???

i agree jen i do think star looks better be4 then now, plus she had a better attuide be4 and now she thinks she looks so good.... personally i think her head is WAY to big for her body! and shes a b*tch

LMAO! I think so too! Her head is huge! She looks like a bobble head! I can't stand her! Why is everything about race with her? That just gets on my nerves!:scream3:

i always thought she looked like bubble head since the surgery, also. and look at her neck, it's saging like hell!!! she was much better b4.

rosie hasn't been the queen of nice since she blasted tom selleck on her show. now she just tells it like it is! i'm not sure that this thing with the view will work, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Should be interesting! I really dislike Star since she's lost all the weight. Her attitude has gotten super bad.

Back