Official Movie Review Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Official Movie Review Thread! :zorro:

Post all Cinema and Movie reviews in this thread. You can review ANYTHING from Movies to TV shows to Rentals DVDs etc.

NOTE: If your review containts SPOILERS then you should simply highlight the TEXT THAT CONTAINS THE SPOILER and click on the
spoiler.gif
image :)

EXAMPLE USAGE OF THE SPOILER TAGS:

(this is not my personal review)

Monster - movie review (January 25, 2004)

The first time I remember hearing about Aileen ("Lee") Wuornos was when the Florida serial killer was executed in October of 2002. The next time I heard about her was when news of this film was announced, with Charlize Theron in the title role. The physical transformation that she had to go through to play this role has been talked about quite a bit, but I was interested in seeing what the film itself was like. I was not, however, expecting to see a love story.

SPOILER SECTION:this is where someone could write up some text that would contain spoilers...spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here...spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here...
I found this film to be completely amazing, and the performances of Theron and Christina Ricci, who plays Selby, Lee's lesbian lover, to be completely believable and riveting. Since the story is based on actual events, I don't know how much of what the film depicts actually happened (one of the film's effects on me is to want to know what happened in the real story), but going just with the events as told in the story, it's amazing how they take you through Lee's journey. She's never really a completely sympathetic character, but you almost understand how she gets to where she goes, from her first killing, which is fairly understandable, to her later killings which are harder and harder to justify. But you see the progression that she makes - so unlike someone like Ted Bundy, they're not just cases of random murders. Almost all of what she does is motivated by love, and the development of the relationship between Lee and Selby is riveting to watch.

SPOILER SECTION:this is where someone could write up some text that would contain spoilers...spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here...

Changing physical appearances is something that tends to draw a lot of attention in and of itself, but such a trick doesn't always bear out in the performance. In this case, though, Theron's transformation isn't just in her physical appearance, but also in her speech and her mannerisms. For me, it was a little distracting because her voice hasn't changed, and I happen to recognize her voice, so it was a bit incongruous hearing a voice I know coming from a person I didn't, but having seen some of her other work and having seen and heard some of her personal interviews, it really is amazing to see the job she does in this film. After I saw the film, I heard that she had won a Golden Globe for her performance, and I was happy, even though I don't put much weight on the Globes. I do hope that she at least gets an Academy Award nomination for this role, if not the statuette itself.

SPOILER SECTION:this is where someone could write up some text that would contain spoilers...spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here......spoilers here...

Christina Ricci also does a terrific job in this film as the deceptively mousy Selby. Her short haircut and pretty face add to her innocent demeanor, but during the course of the film, you see how manipulative she actually is.

This film is definitely not for the faint-hearted as some of the scenes are fairly graphic, but it gets a strong recommend from me.

Thank you so much. I love it!

I like this new image tag! I just had to try it out. You rock, T! :rocknroll2:
cleverest.jpg

Fabulous! I love the new Spoiler tags! I can even use it in my Grey's Anatomy threads. I see that you have to go to Advanced Mode to utilize it (or remember the BB Code).

My Review for "The Hills have Eyes" 2006 version.

I saw this movie last week and have to say that it was pretty good. I enjoyed it, but it's not for everyones taste as it does show a lot of blood and gore. The deformed humans looked really great (as in special effects, make-up etc). I thought maybe they could have made them more deformed, but then they may have looked OTT and they needed to look real.

Also, the deformed humans took ages to die!!!

The blood, gore and deforme humans didn't scare me at all, the things that scared me was all the sudden noises. Like you're watching the movie and BANG... sudden noise and I nearly jumped outta my skin. It's a jumpy movie in my opinion.

At least when I went to see this film, there was heaps more people then Wolf Creek.

I didn't like the father in THHE! The actor who played the father played Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and in my opinion, it was like he stepped out from Stilence of the Lambs and into THHE. His voice has not changed one bit, and if you're watching the film and think to yourself "Where have I heard his voice before?!?", he did the voice of the Truck Driver in Road Kill.

Overall, I think movie is pretty good. I can't compare it to the original as I've not seen it, but I would be interested in seeing it. I saw this film by myself and will most likely get it on DVD once it comes out.

There is a rape scene in this movie so if you don't like watching things like that, you may not want to see this film.

Also, the bit where one of the deformed humans kills one of the pet birds is yuck. He bites off the head, and spits it out and then opens up his mouth and pours the blood down his throat. I cringed at that bit.

When the boy finds Beauty dead, it's like the scene where the homeless guy finds his dog dead in Cabin Fever. The way they both open up the dog and see it's been gutted. Both dead dogs looked really fake in each movie.

I thought there were also a few similar bits that looked like they were from other horror movies. The dead dog scene is one. Also, in Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake) where Leatherface takes his mask off and you see his deformed face, one of the deformed humans in THHE looks similar to that in my opinion.

I also think that Ruby was actually nice as she gave the baby back to its dad.

>>> Thanks Tony!!! :thumbsup2: <<<

thx Tony! I've always wanted a movie review thread ... yea!!

wow ... this is sooo awesome.

Well,

I went to see THE LAKE HOUSE, starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.

4 out of 5 stars:

I thought this was a really beautiful movie. It does not contain overt sex, violence or harshness of any kind. It is a lyrically poetic film, and although it is supposed to be a fantasy, if you have a romantic bone in your body, you can't help but be reeled in by the performances of both it's stars, which I found to be fairly realistic. It might be a bit slow if you perfer action films and/or comedies. Since I'm a sloppy sentimentalist, I was not bored. It was not a real slick film, but I loved it.

SPOILER ALERT:

If you find concepts such as time travel (well, not really, hard to explain) and romantic predestiny silly, you might want to give this one a miss.

The basic premise is that Sandra Bullock is a doctor and Keanu Reeves is in construction/archetecture, and they are linked through a house, but seperated by two years. I don't want to give anything else away. Oh, and they have a dog. A really cute dog. Go see it.

Went to see: MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND

with Uma Thurman, Luke Wilson, and Some blonde chick I never heard of.

2 out of 5 stars.

I would wait until this movie comes out on DVD. I didn't care for it. I've never liked Uma Thruman, I don't know why...but I still went and saw this....:kopfkratz:. Why? I read no reviews prior, and maybe that was a mistake.

I just thought it was too full of sterotypes and bad images all around. It wasn't funny, and I actually thought it was kind of degrading to women. While I'm not a blazing feminist, I just didn't like the way it portrayed either women or men. Like the sterotypical Horny Best Friend who hits on all the chicks.. friend of Luke Wilson?

Boring and stupid, done thirty years prior better and with more panache by John Belushi in Animal House. And the arch villian? All high school type sterotypes. WTF was Uma's agent thinking when he sent her this script?

The message seems to be: You see, when a Women gets...gasp..Supernatural Powers from Heaven..she Just Can't Handle Them..turns into a total Basketcase, a Stalker Female from Fatal Attraction, etc. She abuses them because, well women can't handle their emotions. Unlike Superman, however, who can not only Handle Himself and all his Powers, but heck, he gets the chick (Lois Lane), nabs the villian, and is gorgeous to look at in the bargain..WTF?

I'm very sorry I went to see this movie. It sucked so bad.

My favorite line.."oohh, Johnny (or whatever his name was)...no more crazy women for awhile..ok..teehee?"..Barf and Double Barf.

The Movie: The Departed

directed by Martin Scorsese

Starring: More stars than you can shake a stick at: Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Sheen, Mark Walbergh, Jack Nicholson, Alec Baldwin... You get the idea.

:smiley10: :smiley10: :smiley10: :smiley10: :smiley10:

I kept hearing that this movie was great, fabulous, amazing, etc, so I was worried going in. Usually when I hear that much about it ahead of time, I expect more than I should. I did my best to not just sit back and wait to be wowed, but I'm not sure it would've mattered. I loved this movie! There were a lot of scenes that made me cringe and would've made me cry, but the movie was fast-paced and injected just the right amount of humor. The ending is where this movie loses a lot of people, but just remember that this *is* a Martin Scorsese picture. About the only star I had trouble seeing as someone other than himself was Alec Baldwin. He reminded me of the characters he's done on SNL. Actually, Matt Damon was a little hard to see as his character too, but once I stopped thinking about it too much, I could see it more.

I highly recommend this movie. Leonardo DiCaprio finally lives up to the hotness hype! That aside, I still give the movie 5 stars.

Thank you!! I have been thinking about seeing this movie!!!

PLEASE, PLease don't EVEN THINK about seeing JACKASS 2 the movie.

What the hell was I thinking going to see this piece of junk????:banghead: . Johnny Knoxville is very funny, I think, in a crazy way...but this film is so gross..just gross..that I walked out after Steve-O had everyone give him a beer enema in a motel room in Japan or something. I thought it would be funny..I was very sad and a little ashamed of myself afterwards. I should have asked for my money back...

However.....EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH, which was actually pretty inane, too..was not at all bad, and I would say at least three stars. I loved the romantic interaction between Dane Cook and Jessica, especially the part where she shows him her ears. I guess I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to movies like this. And it really captures the feel of a big box store like Costco or whatever. Really funny. Oh, and Andy **** is in it, if you like him..his part is not really a standout, though.

Just went to see MAN OF THE YEAR with Robin Williams.

Five Stars. Don't expect an action film. But I love Robin Williams and he does not disappoint...a tinsy bit slow in the middle, but as an overall it is a must-see film which gives a sardonic look into the inner workings of American Politics.

I recommend it...

Went to see : The Prestige

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Cain, David Bowie

Directed by: Christopher Nolan (also directed Memento)

:top: :top: (that's two thumbs up...hahaha)

I thought it was great. Suspenseful....you weren't quite sure what the characters were doing until they did it. Scarlett Johansson is gorgeous, of course. It's all set in England and it's all about these two magicians trying to out-do one another. They do the coolest tricks...and you find out some stuff about tricks you don't want to know. It ends up with some CRAZY stuff happening at the end. Drama Drama Drama.

Went to see: The Holiday

with Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jack Black...

4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

I got a 2 for 1 deal to see this movie and took my friend to see it. We both really enjoyed it, it's a very cute movie. Jude Law is almost overly handsome though, so if you don't wanna let your bf see you drooling over him, don't take him :laughing: I really recommend this one

Went to see :

The Navity Story

1165272.jpg

Tagline: One Couple.One Journey.One Child...who would change the world...forever

Plot Outline: A drama that focuses on the period in Mary and Joseph's life where they journeyed to Bethlehem for the birth of Jesus

MY Review: This worth seeing more than once. The producers paid close attention to details, and beautifully re-created the time and place for the historical event. I hope this is released on the big screen every Christmas, and I also hope that more movies of this type and quality will be made from now on. Mary was extremely convincing. A quiet girl who had tremendous poise, and never doubted...just like the real person. The character of Joseph stands out in this production - - what a noble and kind man he must have been! It was a joy to watch Mary and Joseph grow to know and care about each other as the story progressed. The three Magi are humorous and fascinating - their scientific equipment is impressive for the time! Go see it - - your perspective on Christmas will be much improved, and you will forget the stress and rush of the season for at least 2 hours. Excellent production, the Israeli actors added a sense of realism - connecting ancient Judaica with the present. This movie is great as a thought provoker for anyone of any faith. Near the end of the movie, the "beam of light" that came down from the star of David shining on Jesus, Mary and Joseph was very overwhelming for me and really great. This movie is a double thumbs up in my book and is a wonderful Christmas movie! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Went to see : Rocky Balboa

Rocky6.jpg

DF-01755.jpg

DF-01791.jpg

The HIT! Camera work, dialogue, acting, the fighting/boxing and training sequences...all of it was first rate and top-notch! This is quite possibly the best of the "Rocky" series, and I know I'm saying alot with that! You could feel the energy in the theater. People started chanting Rocky, Rocky, Rocky. You found yourself believing that this was all real. Must see, especially if you are a Rocky fan! Rocky left as he started. The movie is a fantastic work of cinematic history. The film is reminiscent of the first in so many ways, but stands on its own independently. It ran a lot like Rocky I, huge under-dog story. Stallone and his screenplay may very well be nominated; Stallone himself may be nominated. It was that good...

this is a cool thread, don't let it die !

so a few days before, i went to see Eragon.

with : Edward Speelers, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Guillory, Robert Carlyle, John Malkovich, Gary Lewis...

Director : Stefen Fangmeier

main plot : it's a fantasy world, with men, elves and dwarves. a dragonrider named Galbatorix killed his fellow riders and rules over the world. until a young boy becomes a rider and challenges him.

Eragon is the first book of a Trilogy called The Inheritance, by a young author Christopher Paolini. it's great, though it's just a basic fantasy book, without the magnificent talent of Anne McCaffrey for dragon stories(in my opinion).

Review : making a movie of a book always means you'll have to cut some parts of it. the problem is, you can do it right, as in the Lord of the Rings, or bad, as in Dungeons and Dragons. my brother went to see it without knowing the book or being a scifi fan, and found it well made.

i agree on that. if you didn't read the book, you'll probably enjoy the movie. but if you read it, you paid for nearly 2 hours of sleep.

on the bright side, the actors (famous or unexperienced) did a great job. the special effects are really well made, especially for the dragon Saphira.

now here's what's wrong. the scenario. the characters are roughly introduced. Most of them are just completely forgotten, while they become in the second book major characters (some are even cast already while they don't appear in the movie!). considering that, making a second movie will be tricky, and frankly i'll save my money for another movie.

the general feeling is it was made in a rush. i would recommend it only if you didn't read the book, or you'll have the tendancy of criticising everything that's different.

Back