I have very dry, flakey sensitive skin so should I stay away...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
from mineral makeup because it is a powder? I wrote a post about advice on what to do about my very dry flakey skin on the skin board and I got a lot of good advice!! So, until I am able to straighten my skin out, should I give up the mineral makeup? I read that dry skin should stay away from powder and powder based foundations. I hate to go without a foundation but maybe that would be a better idea for a while? But I have a lot of red in my face that I want to cover. I can't seem to find a foundation that is ideal for me so any advice, even if it's a recommendation of a foundation, I would love to hear it.

thoughts?

thanks in advance!

I would say yes. My mineral makeup (b.e.) makes my skin kind of dry, and it is natrually super oily, so going on that it would probably me overkill on your already hyper dry skin.

I also have very dry/sensitive skin..I tried the mineral foundations(the dry ones)..and it made face look awful..no matter how much moisturizer I used or what they had to go with it..It showed every dry area and line on my face..and I never could get a good coverage with it without looking like desert..*sigh* My PX foundation was great at covering up my red areas when I was color matched and didn't upset my skin at all.

i would try a liquid foundation. wherever you decide to buy, ask for a recommendation

You can mix the mineral foundation with a facial mosturizer, making a liquid foundation
smile.gif

I have dry skin and mineral makeup works for me. I do use ponds moisturizer before and it seems to help. My skin is really sensitive so i try to stay away from liquid.

I wear minerals & Nivea Q10 lotion & it works great. I have normal/dry sensitive skin & thought I would have major issues with it but its been 2 months since ive been using it. When you wear them you def have to keep up with exfoliation I use the Olay Regenerist micro peel 2 times a week & in between if I need it I use the Got2be scrub.

The amount you use & the buffing make all the difference in the world. If you don't want to commit just yet there are tons of MMU brands that you can get samples from ex. Pureluxe & Everyday Minerals these are the only 2 I have tried so far there are tons more websites out there.

i couldn't say because i've never used mineral makeup, but liquid mineral foundation would be more hydrating than powder. make sure you use a good moisturizer to keep your skin supple n all..have you tried philosophy's hope in a jar? it's supposed to be great for dry skin.

I have normal/dry skin and I found that liquid foundation exacerbated my dry spots moreso than mineral foundation. I used Prescriptives Traceless liquid foundation for years and avoided putting any foundation on certain dry patches (i.e. between my eyebrows) but now with B.E., I don't have that problem except for around blemishes.

I don't know if this applies to you but i also have dry, flaky and sensitive skin, and finally after much trial and error discovered I have an allergic reaction/sensitivity to anything with SPF in it. Since I work for MAC and only wear MAC foundation which mostly all has SPF I was at a loss for what to do. I had stayed away from Studio Fix because I was afraid it would be too dry....come to find out it is the BEST thing I have tried! My skin has cleared up and now looks flawless. I use Neutrogena Light Night Cream as my moisturizer (even during the day) and keep my Fix + spray handy. And I ahev not had any issues with dryness ever since!

You could also start with the basics, your skincare. Heal and treat your skin first and foremost. Try a good moisturizer for sensitive skin, also maybe look for one with aloe in it, to help heal and soothe your skin.

Here's a good article/thread about how to care for and/or treat your dry and/or flakey sensitive skin: https://forum.makeuptalk.com/sho...582#post463582

Remember nothing will look good on your skin, until you work on the canvas (your skin) first. Then once that is under control, of course it makes everything else apply much nicer.

Originally Posted by kwitter You could also start with the basics, your skincare. Heal and treat your skin first and foremost. Try a good moisturizer for sensitive skin, also maybe look for one with aloe in it, to help heal and soothe your skin.
Here's a good article/thread about how to care for and/or treat your dry and/or flakey sensitive skin: https://forum.makeuptalk.com/sho...582#post463582

Remember nothing will look good on your skin, until you work on the canvas (your skin) first. Then once that is under control, of course it makes everything else apply much nicer.

Thanks for your reply!
smile.gif
I have started on the basics of skin care years ago. I actually wrote a thread on what to do for my skin a few weeks ago on the skin care board. (and many other sites as well, lol)
I have been looking for a solution for years now for my skin. YEARS! LOL! I even been taking supplements such as Omega 3's...ect... I am afraid to know how much I spent in skin care, lol!

I went to a dermatologist that just determined I had sensitive skin. (uh, okay, I already knew that, lol)

I don't know about aloe, because I have used pure aloe on my face a while back and it burns. I think I tried everything! That's how sensitive my skin is.
smile.gif

I have some dry areas and I find just a simple tinted moisturizer does the trick for me. I personally like Benefits "You Rebel." It has good coverage and keeps my face from getting dry
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Summer from mineral makeup because it is a powder? I wrote a post about advice on what to do about my very dry flakey skin on the skin board and I got a lot of good advice!! So, until I am able to straighten my skin out, should I give up the mineral makeup? I read that dry skin should stay away from powder and powder based foundations. I hate to go without a foundation but maybe that would be a better idea for a while? But I have a lot of red in my face that I want to cover. I can't seem to find a foundation that is ideal for me so any advice, even if it's a recommendation of a foundation, I would love to hear it.
thoughts?

thanks in advance!

This winter I tried Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv Cream Makeup SPF 15 and I love it. I also have tons of red and it covers amazingly but looks natural and is a great consistency for dry skin. Also, if you have a few blemishes it layers easily and is virtually undetectable. It is a bit pricey but I think it's worth it.

I agree with Pink Ribbon! Benefit's "You Rebel" rocks. I have super duper Dry Skin and have tried so many different products, I was so fustrated not to mention layering moist products over and over again as to not get cakey. This is one step moisterizer and coverage. It also totally calmed my skin down because i was using less products so, I wasn't confusing my skin as much.

Another thing i try to do is keep a can of Evian atomitizer (?) by my desk, whenever i feel like my skin is getting cakey, i give it a light spray of water to try to keep my skin moist.

My skin is dry (cheeks and aroud my nose) and sensitive and Lancome color ID is great, does not dry out the skin.

i have very sensitive skin, i had a bad reaction to copper peptides and my skin just hurt something terrible, like you even aloe vera.

i used a calming face cream from orgins , it has some type of mushroom in it, and it did not hurt one bit, that got my skin back to where it needed to be, now i can use aloe vera desert lilly , it is in a tube,. i mix 3 drops of my copper peptides in the gel , and everything is perfect, i still use the calming cream at night.

ts

Back