Question: mineral finishing powders?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got Everyday Minerals samples a month ago, and I've really fallen in love with mmu now. My only peeve is that it smudges off so easily, on clothes and tissues, etc. I never got any finishing powders, so I'm wondering if that would help make the mmu more transfer resistant? What exactly do finishing powders do?

wish i could help, but im really interested too

waiting for the ladies

The finishing powder def helps it also cuts down the shimmer or shine & gives a more finished look. Unfortunaly even if you were wearing reg liquid foundation with powder it would rub off a little & so does MMU but I dont feel its as bad. I suggest getting a sample of the finishing powder & giving it a try. Im still loving Everyday Minerals & still dont see me going back to the liquid Ive been tempted to throw on some Revlon Colostay but am afraid my face will break out from it now.

Hmm... Interesting... Does it "melt" easily with the heat? And what blush colour did you choose? I'm in serious doubt on which one i should get with the sample kit

Your mineral makeup shouldn't wipe of that easily, mine only comes of if I get a cotton bud and some water or use a wipe. Other than that it seems to stay put. I have a translucent finishing powder which I use if I'm going somewhere special.. it adds a slight glow to the face and more staying power.

Originally Posted by lia_matos Hmm... Interesting... Does it "melt" easily with the heat? And what blush color did you choose? I'm in serious doubt on which one i should get with the sample kit I'm not sure about how it holds up in the summer yet I haven't used it long enough. For the blush I got Girls day or something like that its pretty but to much sparkle for me so I may use it for lip color instead. Maybe I need to experiment more with it I'm not sure how to apply loose blush yet it seems to go on to heavy for me.

Originally Posted by lia_matos Hmm... Interesting... Does it "melt" easily with the heat? And what blush colour did you choose? I'm in serious doubt on which one i should get with the sample kit i received my everyday mineral sample kit and I order Chit Chat for the blush...very pretty light pink..with shimmer..

Originally Posted by dinsamonte i received my everyday mineral sample kit and I order Chit Chat for the blush...very pretty light pink..with shimmer.. I just went to the site to see what Chit Chat looked like its very nice I may have to get that one too.

It's all about how you apply, and the technique you use. It's all about buffing in the mineral, it's all in the swrilling, and buffing it into the skin. It should "fall off". WHat brush are you using, a Kabuki brush is great, and look for cheap ones on ebay. It's worth investing on a good brush...

Originally Posted by Min I suggest getting a sample of the finishing powder & giving it a try. Im still loving Everyday Minerals & still dont see me going back to the liquid Ive been tempted to throw on some Revlon Colostay but am afraid my face will break out from it now. I'm hoping to make a permanent transition from liquid to mmu too, because I love the idea of healthy non-damaging makeup. I just might have to find a better match than the medium tan EDM offers since it's not yellow enough.
Originally Posted by xkatiex Your mineral makeup shouldn't wipe of that easily, mine only comes of if I get a cotton bud and some water or use a wipe. Other than that it seems to stay put. I have a translucent finishing powder which I use if I'm going somewhere special.. it adds a slight glow to the face and more staying power. I was changing out my interview clothes yesterday, and when I put on my t-shirt, the makeup rubbed off on the inside of the neckhole. It didn't come off completely, but it's still bothersome, you know? Maybe I need to try a different brand. I keep reading how it's "water-resistant" and "transfer-resistant" and that's always part of the appeal for me with mmu. What mmu brand do you use?
Originally Posted by pieced It's all about how you apply, and the technique you use. It's all about buffing in the mineral, it's all in the swrilling, and buffing it into the skin. It should "fall off". WHat brush are you using, a Kabuki brush is great, and look for cheap ones on ebay. It's worth investing on a good brush... I haven't laid down any money for a brush specifically for mmu, but I've been eyeing the Ultimate Buffer Brush sold on cosmeticville.com after reading the raves on MUA for the Pretty Pretty brush. I probably haven't applied it properly with the swirling and the buffing - I tend to pick some powder up out of the sample jar, tap the excess off into the lid, then spot apply where I need a little extra coverage, then use my big powder brush to kind of carefully swirl all over.
Ok girls, a big thanks to all of you! I think what I need first and foremost is a JOB, then I'll happily spend my money on thoroughly figuring mmu out.

Originally Posted by dinsamonte i received my everyday mineral sample kit and I order Chit Chat for the blush...very pretty light pink..with shimmer.. Could you do a swatch? I'd like to see if it's a warm or cold pink, and if the shimmer is really noticeable. I'm undecided between Apple, Chit Chat, Girls Day, Plum Dust and Siesta, so i'd like to have an idea of some of the colors

Originally Posted by mehrunissa I was changing out my interview clothes yesterday, and when I put on my t-shirt, the makeup rubbed off on the inside of the neckhole. It didn't come off completely, but it's still bothersome, you know? Maybe I need to try a different brand. I keep reading how it's "water-resistant" and "transfer-resistant" and that's always part of the appeal for me with mmu. What mmu brand do you use? If you werent wearing finishing powder thats prob why. The whole point to finishing powder is to set the makeup just like pressed powder would do with liquid.

Hi,

After applying your foundation, shadow and blush, spritz your face with a fine mist of water before applying a setting powder. This should set the minerals. There is also a heavy water named D2O which can be used. I find that plain ole water is sufficient. Be sure that when you apply you do so sparingly and buff throughly.
11a.gif

Originally Posted by mehrunissa I haven't laid down any money for a brush specifically for mmu, but I've been eyeing the Ultimate Buffer Brush sold on cosmeticville.com after reading the raves on MUA for the Pretty Pretty brush. I probably haven't applied it properly with the swirling and the buffing - I tend to pick some powder up out of the sample jar, tap the excess off into the lid, then spot apply where I need a little extra coverage, then use my big powder brush to kind of carefully swirl all over.
Ok girls, a big thanks to all of you! I think what I need first and foremost is a JOB, then I'll happily spend my money on thoroughly figuring mmu out.

You can get cheaper Kabuki brushes on ebay, but I don't really like the kabuki brush, since it's really harsh on my face. But it's the tools in this case, and the buffing, as soon as you get the hang of it, it takes a few mintues and you are done...

I wear white oxfords for work and my rub off is minimal,I just use a good moisturizer beforehand and let it absorb first then buff in light layers, there is very little transfer. The layering, buffing and swirling techniques really come into play here because your skin will soak in the minerals. This is the one makeup that you really want a light hand with application I don't personally use the spritz because after an hour of application your natural oils meld into the makeup and it actually looks better an hour after application. The finishing powder just cuts down on shine and minimizes pores, I can live with it or without it. If you need a heavier application try using a damp flocked sponge to pat the powder on, then buff with a kabuki.

Originally Posted by Min If you werent wearing finishing powder thats prob why. The whole point to finishing powder is to set the makeup just like pressed powder would do with liquid. See, that's where I was a bit confused - I thought it was just for oil-control, since the foundation itself is a powder. Thanks.

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 Hi,After applying your foundation, shadow and blush, spritz your face with a fine mist of water before applying a setting powder. This should set the minerals. There is also a heavy water named D2O which can be used. I find that plain ole water is sufficient. Be sure that when you apply you do so sparingly and buff throughly.
11a.gif

I'm going to try this once I get my finishing powder, etc. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by pieced You can get cheaper Kabuki brushes on ebay, but I don't really like the kabuki brush, since it's really harsh on my face. But it's the tools in this case, and the buffing, as soon as you get the hang of it, it takes a few mintues and you are done... I've looked them up on ebay, but I'm always wary of buying anything off of there. Don't ask me why, because if I think about it too much, the reason becomes unreasonable...

Originally Posted by realmccoy I wear white oxfords for work and my rub off is minimal,I just use a good moisturizer beforehand and let it absorb first then buff in light layers, there is very little transfer. The layering, buffing and swirling techniques really come into play here because your skin will soak in the minerals. This is the one makeup that you really want a light hand with application I don't personally use the spritz because after an hour of application your natural oils meld into the makeup and it actually looks better an hour after application. The finishing powder just cuts down on shine and minimizes pores, I can live with it or without it. If you need a heavier application try using a damp flocked sponge to pat the powder on, then buff with a kabuki. Ok, so moisturize well and buff in light layers - I'll remember that. Another thing I'm liking about mmu, that it does look better after it's sat on your skin awhile. Good stuff, good stuff.

I've never tried EM, I have only used BE, premium minerals and Aromaleigh, I absolutely adore Aromaleigh, I am an Aromaleigh addict, that may also be a reason why I don't have the rub off. The eyeshadows are amazing.

Originally Posted by mehrunissa See, that's where I was a bit confused - I thought it was just for oil-control, since the foundation itself is a powder. Thanks I can see why, I was confused about MMU when I first started using it. The foundation kinda melts onto your skin so I dont think of it as really a powder its like cream to powder but reversed & then like I said the finishing powder sets it. I use EDM & dont have rub off its all how you apply it as said previously.

Originally Posted by realmccoy I've never tried EM, I have only used BE, premium minerals and Aromaleigh, I absolutely adore Aromaleigh, I am an Aromaleigh addict, that may also be a reason why I don't have the rub off. The eyeshadows are amazing. Aromaleigh is my favorite too. I found that it matches my natural skin color the closest. I don't have much rub off, certainly not as much as I always did with liquid foundation w/ powder.
I do the same as mentioned above, moisturize well. I usually wait about 10 minutes after moisturizing to start my makeup routine. That way the moisturizer soaks in well and I don't get any uneven spots where the powder sticks to the moisturizer rather than my skin.

I don't use a finishing powder with it. Now and then I do a light spritz of water to set it, but usually I just put it on and go. I find that Aromaleigh doesn't leave me with much shine or anything, so I've never worried about a finishing powder.

Good luck with your mmu, I hope it works well for you!

HQ

Originally Posted by mehrunissa I've looked them up on ebay, but I'm always wary of buying anything off of there. Don't ask me why, because if I think about it too much, the reason becomes unreasonable... You shouldn't be, I live in Sweden, and all the products came here with no problem, and read the reviews...

Latest posts

Back