Do you like wearing solid black?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you girls thought about wearing solid black ... I hear so many girls say they love it because it's sophisticated or slimming or whatever, but then all the makeover TV shows I watch say you should avoid solid black (at least on most days) and wear more color!

I've always thought wearing solid black was boring and depressing, made me think I was going to a funeral or that I was trying to be a wallflower
frown.gif
But the other day, I wore a black shirt and black pants for the first time in my life to work, mainly because I have a limited number of short-sleeve shirts appropriate for the office and it was hot outside! Even then it wasn't solid black -- the pants had white pinstripes, and I wore sandals to show off my red toenails, and colored jewelry and colored eye mu to add some color to my outfit.... Yet I never really felt comfortable in the outfit, and when I walked into the office one of my (male) coworkers exclaimed, "Woah there, Johnny Cash!" and thought it was weird I was wearing all black. But then that night my husband says he likes me in solid black...

But I just never liked it, and I think with my pale skin I look better with some color, since my skin certainly doesn't have any color of its own
wink.gif
I think I will stick to my normal work outfits of a bright (or sometimes pastel) colored top and neutral pants...

But what are your thoughts on solid black? I think it looks good on some people, but I just can't feel confident wearing it! Even if I was going to a fancy party or something, I'd rather wear a sexy little turquoise dress or something instead of a sexy little black dress!

I love wearing black. If I could, I would wear that and jeans on most days.

I don't like black because I feel vampirish in it. I am soo fair and black is ugly on me.

Not a single problem all black here! Especially since it's such a slimming color! Love it! One of my fave outfits was actually a pair of black silky feeling pants from Lerner New York along w/ a black form-fitting button-down that had barely visible silver pinstripes... John always said I looked like I worked for Al Capone when I wore it *lol*

I never wear black; the stores I usually shop at don't even sell it
whistling.gif
It's not that I'm not open to anything new, but I already have black hair, and color just makes it and my skin stand out a lot more. I've tried black, and I don't feel like myself in it. That alone is enough to have me not wear it; I need me to feel like myself and comfortable in what I'm wearing.

I voted, I love all black but unles it's a dress I try to stay away from all black but I usually wear black on top or bottom daily with another color

my whole wordrobe is black, i never liked black but then i gained alot of weight and started to wear it alot, but now i wear alot of colors because its starting to get nice out but most of the time its black!

thats ALL i wore when my husband met me cuz i was into goth and the whole rocker chick, my everyday outfit consisted of ****ies, black shirts (preferably rock band logos) and my doc martens!!! i still wear black but not solid black, try not to anyway!

I don't think I've worn a whole outfit in black before, but at one point of time, I used to wear a lot of black tops- to the point that nearly half my clothes cupboard was filled with black tops.

I don't mind wearing all black, because I'll always add some color to avoid looking funeral-ish. Like color to makeup, or a cute pair of colored shoes, jewelry, layer another item of clothing not black, etc.

I think black on black looks great IF and only if the shade of black matches. if not it just looks tacky.

I like black, but I only wear black tops, dresses or skirts, never pants. I just don't feel comfortable in black pants. Don't ask why, because I don't know, I just feel bad when I'm wearing black pants. I never wear black on black either and I pair black with some bright colour or accessories.

Back