Bare Mineral Mess

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do love my bare minerals makeup but there is such a mess!!! If I understand correctly, I am supposed to transfer a small amount from the jar to the lid and then use my brush in the lid to "swirl, tap, and buff". Powder everywhere! Does anyone have any tips to make this a less messy process?

Originally Posted by Suz57 I do love my bare minerals makeup but there is such a mess!!! If I understand correctly, I am supposed to transfer a small amount from the jar to the lid and then use my brush in the lid to "swirl, tap, and buff". Powder everywhere! Does anyone have any tips to make this a less messy process? Well, what I do is put a piece of paper towel on the table in front of me and that catches the flying powder. LOL

great advice Thais!

are u putting too much product into the lid. U only need a lil ... if u put too much in, the extra will just end up flying all over the place ....

The most product u should have on the lid is a pinch of product @ a time

Originally Posted by LVA great advice Thais!are u putting too much product into the lid. U only need a lil ... if u put too much in, the extra will just end up flying all over the place ....

I agree. I used to make a big mess initially but now I learned the amount I need so the powder just gets into the bristles.
Something else that you can do is, instead of tapping the side of the brush handle on the lid to make the excess powder "fly away", you could tap the very bottom of the brush handle on the table to make the powder get tucked into the bristles instead of flying... Hope you can understand the description.
smile.gif

I found it really helpful to put my minerals in a small bowl(I used a salsa bowl)instead of the lid. I got this idea from Cory Cosmetics. I think they even have a little bowl. I only ever used their idea, not minerals so I can't comment on them. The tutorial kept me from throwing my BE away.

i dont reallt have that problem, i just put a small amount of product on my brush then swirl it in the lid and apply.

just what they say just put a small amount to the lid so the brush can pick up all the minerals so it will be less mess.

Originally Posted by LVA great advice Thais!are u putting too much product into the lid. U only need a lil ... if u put too much in, the extra will just end up flying all over the place ....

Great advice.
I take the large jar and gently tap it upside down onto the lid. It takes so very little, so if too much goes in the lid, I just put it back in the jar. It takes a little practice and if I'm in a hurry, I can still make a mess.

When you first get the jar, don't tear off the entire white seal, just get a pin or even an earing and poke holes, about four or five works well for me. this will cut down on the amount that can escape. works like a dream for me!

I am pretty good about it most of the time. However I have my share of powdery hands. I'm always like "damn! I wasted some"..you know? Like the minerals are gold! lol!

Originally Posted by Thais Well, what I do is put a piece of paper towel on the table in front of me and that catches the flying powder. LOL That's what I do also. I would like to try some glass/plastic bowl, because sometimes I find the original lid too small for the brush that I use.

I use masqurade shimmer eyeshadows and use them with a activator, which I mix the two together and it works really well. I find that I use small quality brushes and that helps.

Originally Posted by Suz57 I do love my bare minerals makeup but there is such a mess!!! If I understand correctly, I am supposed to transfer a small amount from the jar to the lid and then use my brush in the lid to "swirl, tap, and buff". Powder everywhere! Does anyone have any tips to make this a less messy process? I wear MMU & I dont not use the lid its way to small. I have a little glass bowl about 2 1/2 inch wide that I sprinkle the MU into then I swirl in the bowl. i also have a smaller version just for blush its much cleaner & you have more control of the amount of MU. Check out your local $ store. Scroll down (link below)theres an example of a bowl that can be used. You could prob find one cheaper somewhere else. http://www.pureluxecosmetics.com/wst_page15.html

Originally Posted by michko970 When you first get the jar, don't tear off the entire white seal, just get a pin or even an earing and poke holes, about four or five works well for me. this will cut down on the amount that can escape. works like a dream for me! great tip...

These are good thanks. It'd probably also help me be less of a mess if I wasn't always rushing.

Originally Posted by michko970 When you first get the jar, don't tear off the entire white seal, just get a pin or even an earing and poke holes, about four or five works well for me. this will cut down on the amount that can escape. works like a dream for me! Wow, that's a great tip! I'm about to place an order for a EDM kit and I think I"ll try this.

Originally Posted by Min I wear MMU & I dont not use the lid its way to small. I have a little glass bowl about 2 1/2 inch wide that I sprinkle the MU into then I swirl in the bowl. i also have a smaller version just for blush its much cleaner & you have more control of the amount of MU. Check out your local $ store. Scroll down (link below)theres an example of a bowl that can be used. You could prob find one cheaper somewhere else. http://www.pureluxecosmetics.com/wst_page15.html

Thanks for the link, The bowl is too cute but I love those sifter jars that you can get in three different sizes. I think I'll get a couple of the 30g jars to custom mix my EDM.

The methhod I use: Instead of using the tiny lid to the jar, I use a smallish glass bowl to tap my minerals out into - and I have much less spillage that way. Bowl is maybe 5" across? Big enough to swirl and tap a Kabuki in, but not big enough to have to "chase" the minerals around in.

I never really had a problem personally, but it sounds like you got some great advice! I wish you the best with a mess-free application from here on!

Back