Studying Abroad ADVICE! (Kinda long LoL)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so, here's the thing. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to go overseas. I want to go to England/Scotland. Well actually, just Europe in general.

Anyway, my university offers a study abroad program that actually counts towards your degree with Texas Tech. I would actually be doing an internship. Possibly with E!Entertainment over in England. I REALLY want to do it. But obviously, there is a "but."

I don't know if I should. For these reasons.

First of all, it's EXPENSIVE. I'm already like, $20,000 in debt because of school loans. It's crazy. And this whole package is about $12,000.00. For one semester!

2. It's a WHOLE semester in a completly different country THOUSANDS of miles away.

3. (this is a BIG one) If I study abroad, it will put me a semester behind in graduating. I could graduate next fall, but if I do this, I can't graduate until May 2008. That will mean I would be graduating as a 5th year senior. I just feel like that might look BAD. But I dunno.

But there is an UP side.

1. I'll get to see other countries. Even countries outside of England. The train seems to go everywhere in Europe LoL. Maybe I can visit some of ya'll overseas girls. Makeup shopping, anyone?

2. It will look REALLY good on the resume. And on top of that, E! might like me enough to keep me on board with them. Maybe in England, maybe in the US. Potentially lots of money for me.

3. AWESOME exposure. That's all that needs to be said.
smile.gif
Even if I'm doing footwork. Making copies of 8000 sheets of paper for someone. Alot of actors/actresses got their starts just being in the business, somehow.

So my question:

Has anyone studied abroad before? (Either to America or from America) Did you regret doing it? Did anyone want to but then thought against it? Did you regret not doing it?

I appreciate any advice you have, ladies!!

Well. If I would have taken the time to read this post. I wouldn't have had to ask you my other question, huh?

What is your gut telling you to do? I know it's a really big decision, but honestly, my instincts rarely let me down. What a fantastic opportunity it could be for you. It is expensive, but the life experience you would get is something that most people never have the chance for. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience, but my best advice is to listen to yourself. My guess is you already know what you want. Now you are trying to justify it to yourself. Use that women's intuition that we are blessed to have. Whatever answer you give yourself will be the right one. I wish you complete success, no matter what you decide.
hug.gif
hug.gif

Sounds awesome! I also got a chance to study abroad ( France or Spain) but I didn't do it, I'd miss my bf too much
smile.gif
And classes in Spanish would be too difficult for me.

However, the language isn't a problem for you so that's great
smile.gif

If you can afford it and want to do it, I say go for it!

The graduating later, would that be a big deal? I mean, over here companies like students who studied abroad, bc they're independent, they've had that experience, they take initiative,...( that's what they expect
smile.gif
) I think that's more important than the fact you'd graduate a few months later.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, no matter what you decide to do!

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT!!!!

I know you might think it looks bad that you graduated one semester earlier but work experience in another country is priceless. what´s one stupid semester? Having had that experience sets you apart from the other students who graduated earlier. that´s one more good point on your resumee.

well I haven´t studied abroad (our curriculum doesn´t really allow it and I´d possibly loose a whole year if I do it!) but I went to the US as an exchange student, hehe. I guess that doesn´t count as STUDYING because school over there was a piece of pie for me. but the personal experience is something you will never wanna miss. of course my parents payed a shitload of money for this (mainly my spending money, ooops LOL) but neither I or my parents ever regretted this.

good luck with your decision, whathever it may be
brsh.gif

I agree with Arielle. Do it!! As I said in your other post, I was selected to go on a stage in Paris for 3 months in my first med year. It was fantastic, and I got to travel all around Europe. It was hard though, being on your own in a new country. But the benefits and experience I got from going there is unbelievable. I won't graduate back. Of course, it was expensive(and living in Paris is not what you can call cheap), but it was so so so worth it. So take your time to think about it, for sure, and good luck with any decision you think is the best.

What does it mean to go on a stage in med school? Or do you mean acting on stage? I'm confused LoL

Originally Posted by foreverxsummer I agree with Arielle. Do it!! As I said in your other post, I was selected to go on a stage in Paris for 3 months in my first med year. It was fantastic, and I got to travel all around Europe. It was hard though, being on your own in a new country. But the benefits and experience I got from going there is unbelievable. I won't graduate back. Of course, it was expensive(and living in Paris is not what you can call cheap), but it was so so so worth it. So take your time to think about it, for sure, and good luck with any decision you think is the best.

Originally Posted by PinkRibbons What does it mean to go on a stage in med school? Or do you mean acting on stage? I'm confused LoL Ohh geez I'm sorry. That's the French word... Yes, yes I mean internship.
smile.gif

I understood because in portuguese the word is quite similar too (estágio)

most of my family have got their bachlor degrees from the u.s (we dont live in the us so..) and i got the chance too, but i was a spoiled bi*ch and ruin the whole thing
frown.gif

so, i'v talked with daddy and bros a lot about it, u see the studying itself will be the same, it's all about the experience, a life time experince that u might not get another chance to.

i say Go for it with no doubt..

cause as u said it will look good in ur resume not forgetting the personal experiences and lessons u'll learn from being on ur own for the first time

HTH

i think you should do it, but not if money is seriously an issue.

my sis studied abroad (she went to NYU and went to prague for 6 weeks) and LOVED it. nothing bad about it at all.

Honestly, the money isn't really a serious issue. I mean, I can get the loan, no problem. The way I see it, I'm doing this to get a good job and pay back the loans anyway! LOL

Originally Posted by Jennifer i think you should do it, but not if money is seriously an issue.
my sis studied abroad (she went to NYU and went to prague for 6 weeks) and LOVED it. nothing bad about it at all.

I'm from Scotland. I think you should go for it! On the money side of things the cost of living in the UK is pretty expensive and I'm sure you would notice the difference. On the other hand there are loads of upsides like it will be a great experience and you would get to meet loads of new people and have the time of your life! If you have any questions about Scotland/UK PM me and I'd be happy to answer them
smile.gif

I say do it! It's basically a once in a lifetime opportunity, and that's not something you can pass up! Who cares if you graduate a year later?! You're going to have something on your resume that can validate why you took the extra year, not to mention, it's an extra step towards landing yourself a major career in an industry you're set to be in! If money isn't an issue, then do it! I had the opportunity to go to Australia for as a Student Governor, and I had to pass because my parents didn't want to get a loan for $3000 for me to go... Biggest mistake of their lives on my behalf... I also passed up a chance to attend a culinary arts college and study abroad in a 5 star restaurant... You can't pass a once in a lifetime chance IMHO! DO IT!

Back