How do you apply liner to top lid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey girls. im having trouble applying my eye pencil on the top lid. the only way i can get a straight line is if i pull my eyelid out to the side ..but i dont think this is good for your skin. does anyone have a better way of doing it or am i going to have to stick with the bottom lid only?

Maybe you could use a liquid eyliner that you can brush on to get the desired eye shape without pulling at your skin.

I apply my upper lid liner the same way you do... By pulling the lid taut to the side... I honestly don't know if there is a better way to apply it, but then again, I've only been using pencil liners... Maybe gel liners or liquids are different... I'm sure someone will be able to answer this question better!

Great question! I always afraid that the door bell will ring or the big dog that won't leave my side will bark and I'll jump and have a big black line across my face. So I'm eager to hear the tips.

I don't pull anywhere when I'm putting on eyeliner, just lean a bit back and stay close to the mirror. I always start in the inner corner and work my way outwards

Hello all-

While I don't do this,I know a lot of people that do. Whatever eye you are applying your eye liner to, take a finger or two and and place it on your eyebrow and gently pull up, so that when you close your eye, there is a tautness to your eyelid.Hope I explained ok...

Yep, I apply by pulling my eye taut at the outer corner to stretch it tight. I use pencil, too. I guess I never even thought about it being damaging to the skin! I wonder if that's where crow's feet really come from...

I'd love to hear some other tips...that pulling up from the eyebrow sounds like a neat trick I'd like to try.

I also was wondering...where do most people apply liner to the lower lid? I have always done it above the lower lashline, but when I look at other people's lower liner, it looks like it is below the lower lashline. Am I applying mine wrong? Or are there different effects achieved by the different applications?

Originally Posted by jane123 hey girls. im having trouble applying my eye pencil on the top lid. the only way i can get a straight line is if i pull my eyelid out to the side ..but i dont think this is good for your skin. does anyone have a better way of doing it or am i going to have to stick with the bottom lid only? I stick with just the bottom lid. I've tried and tried but I just can't master the art of lining the top lid. I figure it's better not to wear it if I can't get it right, since it always annoys me when I see women with poorly applied eyeliner.

I dont have any special techniques but I dotn use a pencil I use the Revlon Color Stay eyeliner its soft & glides on nice.

Originally Posted by Min I dont have any special techniques but I dotn use a pencil I use the Revlon Color Stay eyeliner its soft & glides on nice. Yeah I used to use this also and it didnt pull. I also have Prestige automatic pencil and also their waterproof pencils and they go on with no pulling or stretching. Maybe you could try a brand of automatic pencil or a different pencil liner. I used to throw pencils away if they wouldnt glide on. Right now I mainly use gel liners which go on smoother than pencils.

About the only one I use, is my BB gel...and I just get up close to mirror and glide it on...

my trick, when i'm using a pencil liner, is to go from the outside of the lid to the inside. you still have to extend the lid alittle, but not quite as much as you would if you went from the inside out.

I pull my eyes taut at the corner as well. My biggest problem with putting on make up seems to be eyeliner, and I also feel it is the one product I can't live without (next to foundation and powder of course.)

I tend to do a big no-no and actually line the part under my lashes because I have a hard time keeping a straight line above my lash lines. It seems that I have kind of weird ultra creased eyelids that prevent me from putting on eyeliner correctly.

Try a mineral powder. I used to make a mess of my eyes using the liquid liner. It was too wet and gooey. Then I tried a pencil. It was better, but seemed to drag across my lid and scratch me. I use LaurEss chocolate powder now with a special flat brush andit works great...lasts all day. If I go out at night, I wet it a little and it really stands out....but I like the subtle look best.

well you have to pull your eye taut to get a good straight line. using a well sharpened pencil that is of good quality and glides on smoothly will help a lot.

Originally Posted by Saints I don't pull anywhere when I'm putting on eyeliner, just lean a bit back and stay close to the mirror. I always start in the inner corner and work my way outwards I do the exact same
smile.gif

I don't think that pulling your eyelid taut is bad for your skin. That's what I do! But maybe I'm wrong! I dunno....

Yes, softer lead pencils work best, I have one pencil (some sort of L'Oreal automatic pencil) that has a softer lead than any of my others and it goes on much easier without having to pull on my lid! However, since the lead is so soft it smudges very easily, so I have to use a good eyeshadow base (like UDPP) to keep the top liner put, and a concealor and loose powder base to keep the lower lid liner in place!
smile.gif
(Of course my eyes are so deep-set that without a base, the upper lid liner always creases within in an hour!)

Another thing that works well is to apply the line in small "sections", if I try to line the upper lid on one long stroke, the skin gets all wrinkled up by the time I get to the end of the line! (Does that make sense?) I draw a little bit of a line, lift my pencil and let my lid go back to its normal position, then set it down and draw a bit more...

Back