Suggest a good book to read

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good book. I love reality books.. but It doesn't need to be like that.

What's your all time favorite book?

I just finished reading The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

I loved the book and it was a eye opener.

I suggest that book to any couple!

BUT PLEASE SUGGEST ME A BOOK!
smile.gif

I only read suspense/thrillers... But if you're interested in that, then ANYTHING written by James Patterson will suit you! He does have two "love" stories that are good...

When you say reality, you mean non-fiction, right? I need to read more non-fiction...I have suggestions for tons of great books if you're interested in reading fiction. Not fiction as in science fiction and fantasy, they're all very realistic novels, except for a few that are sort of contemporary fairy tales without the damsel-in-distress and prince charming.
smile.gif
My list of favorites are:

• The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - it almost reads like a fantasy, but it has an amazing message and so much wisdom. It's also a small book, so it should be a quick read.
  • Tender is the Nigh by F. Scott Fitzgerald - his style of writing is very engrossing and personal, and you feel like you're not just reading but watching these people's lives play out. It's a bit of a sad story, but very real.
  • Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - there's a movie based on this that's good, but the book is better. It has very fantastical elements, but it doesn't feel odd. Great summer read.
  • Anything written by Tracy Chevalier, though Girl With a Pearl Earring and The Lady & The Unicorn are the best. You've probably seen the Scarlett Johanson movie of GWaPE, which was awesome. I read the book before I saw the movie, but a friend of mine did it the other way around and she said that reading the book only added to the richness of the movie. Not many book-based movies can say that!
  • Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - soooo much better than the movie!
There are more on my list, but...looks like I've written enough for ONE post!
smile.gif
Hope that helps you out.

Hmmm, The Kite Runner was pretty good. In terms of reality books, I just started reading The Year of Yes.

Originally Posted by blueangel1023 Hmmm, The Kite Runner was pretty good. In terms of reality books, I just started reading The Year of Yes. Both sound great but my library is out of them!

Most recently, I loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. The "Kite Runner" was excellent, too. If you like comedy, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and Jon Stewart's "America" are great.

One of my all time favorite books was "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving.

I really love Jemima J by jane Green...ever woman needs to read this book - It is SO good - I would be reading it again, had I not given it to my b***h ex-boss!!!

Originally Posted by PerfectMistake I really love Jemima J by jane Green...ever woman needs to read this book - It is SO good - I would be reading it again, had I not given it to my b***h ex-boss!!! That is a great book! Have you read anymore Jane Green books?

i just finished "p.s. i love you" and i recommend it to EVERYONE. it's the saddest, but in a good way kinda, book. everyone i know who's read it have loved it and cried their ass off! i was on the subway reading it and i had to put it away because i was about to bawl lol

How about "Lolita" by Nabokov it is pretty cool or how "Helter Skelter" its about Charles Manson.

I love 'What we talk about when we talk about love' amazing short stories by Raymond Carver...brilliant author. I also like any book by Larry McMurtry & Amy Tan...Nick Hornby is quite good for a light read, as well.

Originally Posted by Aquilah I only read suspense/thrillers... But if you're interested in that, then ANYTHING written by James Patterson will suit you! He does have two "love" stories that are good... Yay another Patterson fan! I adore him. Especially the Alex Cross series and When the Wind Blows (didn't like the sequel).
Unfortunately I don't read many non-fiction books. But I have to say that Summer Sisters is one of my most favorite books ever. And if you've ever had a friend that was really flaky but you loved her anyway, then this book is for you. It's from Judy Blume and is fabulous. I read it each year.

-- Lissi

I've read a few good ones lately.

One of the best ones is called Post Secret by Frank Warren. Originally a project for his art class, he handed out postcards to strangers and asked them to mail them back to him, with a secret they wanted to share, anonymously, of course. The result was/is funny, tragic, heartbreaking, insightful, all at the same time.

Another goodie: The Phoenix Lights by Dr. Lynne Kitei.

I would like to read Al Gore's new book.

Sebastian Junger, author of The Perfect Storm, has one out called The Belmont Murders... it was a little slow, full of detail (typical Junger).. you have to like Sebastian Junger.

I would go for Post Secret, jamielynne.

One of my favorite books is "Jemima J" by Jane Green, but also, read anything by Janet Evanovich! I LOVE her books!! Especially the Stephanie Plum series "One for the Money, Two for the Dough, etc through 11 right now).

Originally Posted by Jennifer i just finished "p.s. i love you" and i recommend it to EVERYONE. it's the saddest, but in a good way kinda, book. everyone i know who's read it have loved it and cried their ass off! i was on the subway reading it and i had to put it away because i was about to bawl lol THANKS!I got it today from the Library!

Originally Posted by Elisabeth I've read a few good ones lately.
One of the best ones is called Post Secret by Frank Warren. Originally a project for his art class, he handed out postcards to strangers and asked them to mail them back to him, with a secret they wanted to share, anonymously, of course. The result was/is funny, tragic, heartbreaking, insightful, all at the same time.

Another goodie: The Phoenix Lights by Dr. Lynne Kitei.

I would like to read Al Gore's new book.

Sebastian Junger, author of The Perfect Storm, has one out called The Belmont Murders... it was a little slow, full of detail (typical Junger).. you have to like Sebastian Junger.

I would go for Post Secret, jamielynne.

i love the postsecret book. do you check http://postsecret.blogspot.com/they are both fiction, but i couldn't put down 'i know this much is true' and 'she's come undone' both by wally lamb

Latest posts

Back