"Pale is the New Tan"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I stole the thread title from Vanilla_Sky (sorry). But with summer here there seems to be an abundance of people talking about getting tans and what not.. what I want to know is when did people decide that it was "healthy" to fry yourself in the sun (or a bed)? Not trying to bash on people who do I just wanted to know. Personally, I prefer people to be paler so long as they slap a bit of blush and what not on. And there are incredible advancements in the self-tanning field. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Well, I've never personally heard anyone claim that tanning was 100% healthy. I've always been aware of skin cancer & using sun screen, etc. IMO, it's one of those things like alcohal and/or smoking on a lesser scale. People are made aware of the risks but, at the same time it's a personal choice. I love the look of tanned skin, and I do tan from time to time but, I have a natural tan to my skin tone. I just think laying out or going to a bed from time to time gives me a bit of a glow and I'll continue to do it in moderation. There are extremes in all situations and some people DEFINATELY over-do it. I see beauty in all skin tones, though.. so, in my opinion.. there's not a particular skin tone that is in or out of style.

Personally, I feel like it's a personal choice as long as people are responsible and are aware of the risks. I am not able to tan because my skin doesn't produce enough melanin.

hehe, it's ok you made the slogan the thread title
smile.gif
I am not the creator of it anyway
wink.gif
as I said i seen it on Tshirt and I think it is really witty one.

anyway, I believe that there is not enough knowledge about tanning being popularized. People talk so much about smoking or obesity being unhealthy. Tanning is known to be unhealthy but not to that extent. I think it should be talked about more how tanning affects you and every brun on your skin increases your cancer risk.

In USA tanning seems to be very popular... I know many young girls that go to beach all the time, just to lay there all day. Many of my friends regulary use tanning beds. I used to say something, but soon I realized it is not worth it - if somebody loves tanning my preaching won't convince them
wink.gif
now I only mention about the risk, but I do not try to convince. It is everybody's personal choice. I wish it was talked about more though, cause I don't think many people realize how unhealthy it REALLY is.

I love my pale skin and I am happy I am over wanting being like everybody else. Now I dont care that I stand out with my paleness. I think it is as beautiful as golden or brown skin and I don't have to be ashamed of it. before I used to worry when somebody told me I looked pale or sick, but now I don't care, cause I know that in my case pale equals healthy.

It's personal preference, both of my sisters ... going on 30 something have stay indoors all their life, they refuse to step outside the house because it will make their skin darker. What do they do for a living .. ? they r spoiled rotten... *sigh

my mom loves the pale look, she does a lot of outdoor things like tend to her garden and biking .. but she always tries to wear long sleeves and a hat

me ... i hate the pale look, i think pale makes me look fatter and tanner makes me feel slimmer and i just realli like the tan look on every1.

In my personal opinion I find overly tan girls (or guys!) unattractive. Not to mention unhealthy. They can lay out all day everyday I'll be laughing my ass off when theyre wrinkled at 25.

i have to say that everyone has an idea of what looks good on them and to them. my motto is "if you like it, i love it!" no need to explain why what i like is bad for me, or why what you like is bad for you. do what works for you and be happy!

I just want to clarify that I am not trying to bash on people who prefer to tan. It's just not something that I personally understand, especially with more intense levels of radiation than ever before, and the numerous self-tanning products on the market now.

i personally like pale skin i would never tan or even do that spray on one, i just like my pale skin, guys on the other hand i think look hot dark!!! naturally dark guys, not tanned! like my hubby whos naturally darker.

Originally Posted by Arualav I just want to clarify that I am not trying to bash on people who prefer to tan. It's just not something that I personally understand, especially with more intense levels of radiation than ever before, and the numerous self-tanning products on the market now. I dont think anone could get an impression youre bashing, cause it's clear you were only asking why. I heard many people saying they hate self tanners, their smell and the streaks. maybe that is why they continue to go for a real tan, even though they know it is unhealthy. also, tanning can be addictive. for example many people go once, and they like how tan covers their dark circles and temporary makes the pimples dissapear (the trick is that skin gets worse LATER) - so they go for more and they get so used to tanned look, they cannot stand their look witout the tan.

finally, the more you go, the more you need to go. My friend used tanning beds for ages, and she developped many sun spots on her chest area. she is insecure about them, they are quite promominent.. so she goes to tan to cover them up. she doesn't want to acknowledge she only makes it worse, what counts for her is that she looks good for now.

of course these are extreme cases, but I think it explains why some people tan so much, even though they are aware of the risks.

Originally Posted by mac-whore Well, I've never personally heard anyone claim that tanning was 100% healthy. I've always been aware of skin cancer & using sun screen, etc. IMO, it's one of those things like alcohal and/or smoking on a lesser scale. People are made aware of the risks but, at the same time it's a personal choice. I love the look of tanned skin, and I do tan from time to time but, I have a natural tan to my skin tone. I just think laying out or going to a bed from time to time gives me a bit of a glow and I'll continue to do it in moderation. There are extremes in all situations and some people DEFINATELY over-do it. I see beauty in all skin tones, though.. so, in my opinion.. there's not a particular skin tone that is in or out of style. I agree... I'm the same way. I have a slight 'tan' all year long naturally... if I were pale, I'd probably look sick
frown.gif

I guess pale skin is associated with being run down etc and having a 'glow' is healthy...even though it's not the case.Laying in the sun on a nice beach is relaxing...I'm quite pale, so I always smother myself in suncreen & wear a hat, but I'm guess most people who still tan by the sun probably wouldn't like the unatural orange glow some fake tans give off...or think brown skin is worth the risk of sun cancer...or maybe they just don't think about it? Who knows?

i just naturally tan, not on purpose
tongue.gif

i used to have a problem with it because i lived in china and lots of girls were tryin to be paler/were paler so yea, but canada, it's different so i changed my mind

i like the tan look too =

Great thread! I'll share my pocket change on why I am sporting a tan.

I have always been a lover of all things outdoors. There's just something about the gentle breeze and the warmth of the sun that just makes me happy. While I know that sun exposure isn't the healthiest thing I am also well aware of using the proper sunblock and watching my exposure as well as the exposure of my children.

My skin type is darker than most and I am educated about the sun and take the proper precautions. Not everyone who wants a tan has a death wish and not everyone with a tan will end up with skin cancer. The key with sun exposure whether it be indoors or outside is moderation.

I never really understood how people like the tan look. Ive always hated my color since Im naturally tan (not too much though) and cant really get rid of it. But contrary to what I say, Ive been told that people evny me for my color. By all means take it!
biggrin.gif
Id rather be paler.

I have naturally fair pale skin and on top of that I am anemic...so I am pretty pale. My skin will not tan and even if it did, I wouldn't want to. I like my fair skin and I am so tired of being told that I need to tan.

Tanning looks ok on some people granted, but all too often I see these bleach blondes who obviously spend way too much time at the tanning booth and I think it looks silly, especially in the Minnesotan winters.

So i will say it; I'm pale and I'm proud!!!

Just love the skin you're born with!

Fair or tan, you all beautiful! The most important is the beauty from the inside and confidence.

Originally Posted by xkatiex I never tan just burn lol so I'm pale :| x Me too! Us Brits eh? Must the winters hehe. When I visited Ibiza and Canada I was so excited to get a tan and it didn't happen. Just got freckles
frown.gif
I just burn then I'm pure white again after a couple of days. Arualav I agree about the blusher! One of the greatest inventions! I use a light fake tan every now and again if I can be bothered with the upkeep/smell etc.

Originally Posted by Leony Just love the skin you're born with!Fair or tan, you all beautiful! The most important is the beauty from the inside and confidence.

thumbsup2.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif

Latest posts

Back