Sore, red, swollen cuticles after a manicure

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a manicure yesterday and she waaay over manipulated my cuticles!! I hardly had any to begin with! She was just cutting fresh meat and they started to bleed right off. When she finished mutilating me, she told me to go wash all the blood off in the bathroom. By the time I came back they were bleeding again so she took some hand sanitizer on a wipe and rubbed at them. I can tolerate alot of pain but this was burning so bad and I kept telling her but she just continued anyways. I guess she was trying to protect herself from my blood not knowing me and in case I had something which I can understand but it still burned like heck. She should have been more careful to begin with! She told me to go home and put some Neosporin on them but I didn't have any so I applied my tea tree/vit. E and put some emu oil on top of that. I did that a few times last night and once this morning. They look ALOT better but are still sore to the touch. This girl always gives me awesome pedicures but I don't think i'll be letting her touch my hands again sense they are so sensitive. Most people i've had manicures from will knick me here or there but never this bad. Ugh!

Anyone else ever had this happen to them?

wow!! i was gonna ask if this is the first time she did your nails . omg , that 's awful Lisa, i have always had great nail experiences, i always try to cut my cuticles off @ home first b4 i go though. then i apply Vit E oil to it so the skin doesn't flake and look red and after a couple of days the cuticle area looks realli clean. I don't trust other ppl cutting my cuticles ... i'm a chicken

i hope your nails do better soon
hug.gif
but ... i'm realli curious to see how your manicure turned out ...
biggrin.gif
wanna share a pic?
biggrin.gif

yikesss. that same thing happened to me the FIRST time i got a manicure. i'm scared to get another one after going through that.
frown.gif

oh, my god! was she drunk?! LOL

that's never happened to me and i don't know what to do, but i hope they feel better soon!

This is awful! I'm so sorry to hear that!

Keep applying the oils and get some hydrocortisone cream. The hydro

really helps with irritated tissues, both on top and under the skin.

Also, although this doesn't help you now
frown.gif
, I always get a "man's" manicure.

Pretty much, it isn't as damaging as a females could be and I use an otc cuticle

cream when I need too.

Originally Posted by LVA wow!! i was gonna ask if this is the first time she did your nails . omg , that 's awful Lisa, i have always had great nail experiences, i always try to cut my cuticles off @ home first b4 i go though. then i apply Vit E oil to it so the skin doesn't flake and look red and after a couple of days the cuticle area looks realli clean. I don't trust other ppl cutting my cuticles ... i'm a chicken
i hope your nails do better soon
hug.gif
but ... i'm realli curious to see how your manicure turned out ...
biggrin.gif
wanna share a pic?
biggrin.gif

I like how it looks otherwise. I normally don't paint my nails and just leave them natural but I had her do a french manicure this time. I will try to take some pics later.
LOL Jen! Umm, maybe she was. Yesterday I called to say I was running about 5-10 minutes behind but was on my way. I asked for her and was told she wasn't coming in for another hour. I was like, "What!? I had an appointment!" I was already on my way and this place is in a little cow pokey town with nothing around so I just went ahead and waited for her. Atleast they had some good magazines to read while I waited. lol The whole time she did my nails she told me about her new man and how they'd been partying it up. He called her while I was there and on the phone she was like, "Are we going to da club tonight?" She's 33 and told me that he's 23 and when I asked where they met, she said at a stripclub. Oh, lord! *rolls eyes* Wonder how long that'll last?

Thanks for all the replies! MBenita, i've never heard of a man's manicure. I'll have to inquire about that next time, thanks.

Yikes! Sorry you had such a bad manicure, Lisa. They are supposed to be relaxing and it bites when you get sliced and diced instead. I remember I went in one time for acrylics and came out looking like I'd been in a knife fight.

Oh, HELL NO!!! lol.. Honestly, you should have totally gotten your money back. That is one of the ( if not THE ) worst things a manicurist could do to your hands and it's totally unacceptable. It's a health hazzard as well because, the same tool they cut you up with.. most likely, they cut the person before you up with as well. I've heard of alot of people getting really nasty infections from this but, unfortunately it happens all too often. I HATE when this happens to me and I've actually gotten up and left after being cut for the 2nd time. Usually this happens when they're rushing or just not paying enough attention to what they're doing.. so, it can definately be prevented.

I hope you went back and complained! coz that's not right!

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all or anything but don't ever nip or let anyone nip at your cuticles! Unless it's "flapping about in the wind"

And your nail technician should have known this! She should only push back your cuticles and only nip away hangnails or loose floppy skin..

A lady once came to me with very thick cuticles.. she said they never used to be like that untill about a year ago and she takes care of her nails all the time! When I asked her what her manicure steps were, whe told me, She razered away her whole cuticle, So it's no wonder they are so thick now..

What we did instead was a series of mani's where i did lots of exfoliation, cuticle softening products, and i gave her a bottle of cuticle oil which she had to promise to use every day.. it was a huge improvement!

It's just that when you cut away your skin, it will build up even more to protect itself!

Like a callous, dont ever let anyone razer them off your feet! unless they are a doctor and have to do it for surgerie or something! it's better to file them off gradually..

haha sorry for the longwinded answer.. but i just couldn't it believe when i read it.. hope you go complain
smile.gif

Quote:
...but don't ever nip or let anyone nip at your cuticles! Unless it's "flapping about in the wind" And your nail technician should have known this! She should only push back your cuticles and only nip away hangnails or loose floppy skin..

That's EXACTLY what a "Man's" manicure is...
Thanks, Denise...you're not a "know it all", just very informed...
icon_study.gif

To those asking, I payed her but didn't tip.

My cuticles healed quickly with the tea tree oil/ emu oil combo i've been using regularly. I was so paranoid I was going to have a terrible infection so thank goodness I didn't.

That's really a bad experince! However, it's good to know that your cuticles are getting better now. I have never ever gone to a manicurist and it really scared me a lot after knowing this.

I'm glad your feeling better. I've definately have had my share of nightmare manicures. That's why I never never NEVER let them cut my cuticles. That's how infections occur, not just from their tools but also if your cuticles are cut, your skin can be exposed to any germs on basically anything you touch. Plus, they always grow back funny, uneven and ragged.

That sucks! I've never had a bad experience like that personally. I'm glad your cuticles are better though! Wow! Glad you didn't tip her, but I'd have still complained. I don't think you should've had to pay at all... Maybe it's time to find someone new?

man she sounds like a butcher!!! I hope this does not affect what your nails will be like as they grow out.............one time my sister got butchered like this and her nail was deformed b/c of the cuticle and it stayed messed up until the nail grew all the way from under the cuticle to the tip of her nailbed.....to months!! I hope it doesn't happen to you

Originally Posted by dentaldee man she sounds like a butcher!!! I hope this does not affect what your nails will be like as they grow out.............one time my sister got butchered like this and her nail was deformed b/c of the cuticle and it stayed messed up until the nail grew all the way from under the cuticle to the tip of her nailbed.....to months!! I hope it doesn't happen to you Ewww, I hope not either! My nails are very long and healthy looking. I hope they stay that way! They grow very quickly so if they are messed up atleast it won't be too long of a wait, hopefully.
For those of you that don't ever trim your cuticles, what do you do to eliminate them? I never have much to begin with so can I just put something on them myself w/o having to cut them?

Latest posts

Back