Olive oil to tan?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was speakin to a friend yesterday who suggested i used olive oil to help get a quicker, deeper tan. I would of course put my sunscreen on under it but is this really bad for the skin as i dont burn easy?

never heard of olive oil but a friend of mine uses baby oil to help her tan. she alrady has a darker complexion though so I don´t know if it makes her tan any faster

i've heard thats not good for your skin, i use a special oil for in the sun its called huile tiare tradition and its buy yves rocher.. and the smell is a big plus!

I don't use olive oil and I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I also never heard of anyone using Afrosheen until about a month ago. They literally spray it on their skin.

When I was a young impressionable teen, I used spray Pam (cooking spray).

Overall, I don't think it's good for you!

i used to use baby oil and sit out in the sun, but i've never heard of olive oil. sorry.

wow, i am so surprised i'm not dead by now.

You bad, bad girls! You NEVER, EVER, NEVER use any oil to tan! Not something that's not meant for tanning at least (I know Hawaiian Tropic lotion is almost an oil). For shame, for shame *lol* I'm telling the Skin Care Police on you all!
policeman.gif

My best bet for a tanning lotion was always Hawaiian Tropic. However, since I'm naturally dark, I was able to use the SPF 4. I've always loved Hawaiian Tropic though. My only other alternative was No-AD, which has awesome tanning power and a lovely smell. Not to mention, it's a BIG bottle for about as much as those standard sized HT bottles
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Aquilah You bad, bad girls! You NEVER, EVER, NEVER use any oil to tan! Not something that's not meant for tanning at least (I know Hawaiian Tropic lotion is almost an oil). For shame, for shame *lol* I'm telling the Skin Care Police on you all!
policeman.gif
iagree.gif

I live on the clubhouse of the apartment complex and on my way out sometimes I see girls by the pool who literally sizzling under the sun for hours (why would they do that, they are already tan) with a super oily body, lol. I don't know what the heck they use. I guess it's not good to put any kind of oil as Aquilah said.

Goodness when I was much younger I used to use baby oil and crisco butter to tan with. But never heard of olive oil though.

I've never heard of olive oil but I've definately heard of using baby oil and occasionally coconut oil, I don't think it's good for you but if you have a darker skin and tan easily it would work better.

I use a Suntan Oil for sensitive skin with an SPF8 in it but only towards the end of my holiday when I started out with SPF25 and built up a base tan then went on to oil. I don't use Olive oil or anything like that just proper designated sun tan oils with SPF's in them.

I have noticed that if I don't use a sensitive version then I get quite bad prickly head as the oil gets trapped under the skin with the heat, not pleasant!

I would never ever use ANY oil out in the sun. You are literally cooking yourself!! I do think SOME sun is good for you but I have honestly never understood the whole concept of baking in the sun. I really suggest using a spray on tan - I have heard that these don't get you orange and work as well as tanning out in the sun. If you must - please tan with sunblock on - and NO more than 15-20 minutes at a time. and NO OIL!

And using sunscreen and limiting your sun use will help prevent wrinkles in the future.

End of lecture.
wink.gif

Save the olive oil for the kitchen.

It's amazing the things people have used to tan with. My own Mother used baby oil and a splash of motor oil back in the sixties.
scared.gif

Thanks for replying, i dont think i will use the olive oil now, but aquliah and vanessa i will look into those products. Thanks.

Any kind of oil is basically gonna allow for deeper penetration thus giving a deeper, darker tan. It also keeps the skin hydrated preventing dryness. I've never used olive oil but I have used other oils and they always give me a better tan is a shorter amount of time since they act as intensifiers. LOL at using Afrosheen!

yeaah, u brought back memories.. : p

when i was around 14 i guess, we used to know this nice moroccan lady who told us about it, so we used it the next time we went to the beach, and talk about deep frying
biggrin.gif

but to tell u the truth, the tan color itself was really nice and deep as if we spent the whole summer under the beach (mind u it was just a weekend!) maybe thats what some ppl liked

but it flaked after about 10 days, and left my skin lookin burnt and feeling senstive for about two month after it..

so im sticking with my Lancaster, thanq very much!

Im Moroccan so I know about that olive oil tan! and believe me you really have to be careful with that! I have sensitive skin (sounds strange for a north african I know) and I burn easily.

My aunt who is my age, used to put olive oil to tan. And it worked wonderfully, my brothers do that also.

It gives you that lovely tan color.

I heard that some tan accelerators had olive oil

Actually olive oil is quite good for your skin in many ways. It even protects against UVA rays. As long as you don't over do it on sun exposure, you should tan quite beautifully.

Source: Google.com and first hand experience ; )

Originally Posted by charlie7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually olive oil is quite good for your skin in many ways. It even protects against UVA rays. As long as you don't over do it on sun exposure, you should tan quite beautifully.

Source: Google.com and first hand experience ; )

well I sure hope nobody else believes that!

Olive oil contains antioxidants, which help repair damage and can support your sunscreen´s protection ability. But, they don´t offer any actual protection against UVA rays!!!

Latest posts

Back