The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
we've got tons of threads on eyeshadows, techniques, combos, etc., but what about threads for people who have no clue how to even sweep the eyeshadow with a brush? okay, that's pushing it, but you get my drift.

i thought this would be a good idea to put down the basics of eyeshadows. you can randomly post in here when you remember a simple, basic technique or any info at all.

hopefully everyone will benefit from this thread
wink3.gif

post away!

this is what i learned from my favorite makeup book, makeup makeovers by robert jones.

eyeshadow: applied either lightly as a gentle color wash or as a more dramatic layering of color and texture to enhance and add shape to the eyes.

frost: used to describe eyeshadows that have maximum sparkle and super-shine; referred to irridescent; don't use on mature skin because it'll draw attention to fine lines

highlighting: first step in three-color layering technique for the eyes; everything you hightlight comes "toward" you and helps draw attention to specific area

matte: used to describe eyeshadows that have no shine and appear flat

metallic: used to describe eyeshadows that have a shiney, metal finish

midtone: neutral, natural eye color that you sweep across eyelids to help define and shape eyes; should be natural extention of your complexion and is second step in three-color layering technique

Originally Posted by michal_cohen I Really Want To Know How To Apply A Bronzer on your eyes? lol

powder: pressed or loose; matte, shimmer, frosty, iridescent; blend well

creme: matte and shimmer; great for a wash of color; mix with powder for intensity

liquid: shiny, metallic finish; hardest to use; doesn't blend easily

matte is best for creating natural look; best finish for midtone; contains higher level of color pigment; works well for reshaping/defining eyes

shimmer offers great, sheer coverage; subtle sheen and give hint of sparkle; won't collect in fine lines; ideal for mature skin; works for highlighting recessed areas of eyelids; dark shimmer shadows are great for adding drama without being as harsh as deep-tone mattes

frost gives much more opaque coverage and feature a white or silver sparkle; easily sinks in wrinkles

satin is in between matte and shimmer; shinier than matte, but not as shiny as shimmer; works well on all skin types

Yay! An official thread! I'm looking forward to the numerous posts with great ideas! Who knows, maybe I'll be able to offer an idea or two myself
smile.gif

Thank you so much for starting this thread, Jennifer!! I need this BADLY. I've mastered the single color wash, but after seeing the girls on here in their FOTD's, I feel like such a loser. But also, inspired to take on multiple colors and experiment. I'm looking forward to reading the tips and how-to's from everybody.
smile.gif

I need so much help with eyeshadow techniques. Like Mehrunissa, I have been doing the single wash thing with my eyeshadow and would like to start doing more fun stuff but I don't know where to start.

Lol Jen.

Originally Posted by michal_cohen I Really Want To Know How To Apply A Bronzer Michal this thread is for eyeshadow thread not bronzer one. I suggest you to use the seach feature for how to apply bronzer. Here I've searched some for you
How to use bronzer?

Apply bronzer wet

There are probably more threads, I'm sure you can find it.

Hope this helps.

i have more tips, so i'll be adding them tomorrow after i'm completely rested!

anyone else, feel free to chime in, of course! i'm glad people liked the idea of this thread
smile.gif

Jen were you reading my mind or what..........I was just about to start a "help me" eyeshadow thread and I saw this!! Whoohoo, I don't have any tips to share, but I did buy some wet n wild shadows yesterday (I just cant' see myself paying $$ for the good stuff until I figure out what I am doing) and although I liked the two looks I did on my eyes (I followed on of Devin's tuts) how do I get a cheap shadow to 1. stay put and 2. give me more of an intense color?? Am I asking for too much from a 3.99 eyeshadow trio, lol!?!

Great thread! Im definitely a novice and I either have too much on or not enough to where the color shows evenly.

I think a big mistake women make when applying eyeshadow is not blending. My favorite way to make sure it's well-blended is to start with the lightest color and go to the darkest. Get the placement of the colors where you want them (typically, darker in the crease, but I'll talk about this later). Then, go back over your darker shadow with your ligher ones. So, light to dark and then back up to light, covering your whole lid with the lightest shadow. This will get rid of any harsh lines and also make sure your shadow isn't too dark. It's a great intensity controller.

As far as placement of shadows, you want to look at your eye shape. The ideal shape (or so they say) is almond. If you have that, you can do quite a few options - darker in the crease, darker on the outer corners, a light wash all over - almost anything goes for that eye shape. For other eye shapes, you're trying to manipulate the shadow to make your eyes more almond-shaped. Here are some examples (though by no means an exaustive list):

Deep-set: don't use a dark crease color - this emphasizes your deep-set eyes. Instead try a medium tone on your lid

Close-set: try putting high-lighter under your brow and in the inner corners of your eyes. Instead of a dark crease color, try using your dark color on the outer corners of your eyes.

Wide-set: this is one of the only eye-shapes where you want to use a darker color on the inside corners to draw your eyes together

Round: try using a darker color on your outer corners to elongate the eye. Don't line the bottom lid - this emphasizes the roundness

Small: don't use too much dark shadow as this closes in the eye. Try a medium shade on the outer corners.

Asian: don't try to make a crease with shadow, it's usually unnatural-looking. Instead, play up your beautiful eye shape by focusing on your lash line and mascara.

Again, this doesn't cover everybody and these are pretty much basics - there are NEVER rules in make-up, just starting points. If you're completely lost, this might help you out.

As far as eyeshadow colors go, a good place to start is to complement your eye color. Blue and green eyes look great with warm brown shadow, brown eyes look gorgeous with purples or blues. Play around with color and see how it affects your eye color. (For example, I have blue-green eyes. When I wear brown shadow, they look more blue and when I wear purple, they look more green.) For everyday, you want something that makes people say, "Wow, look at her eyes!" not, "Wow, look at her eyeshadow."

ive been told numerous times that i can afford to apply my eyeshadow higher. (now im on d safe side with eye shadow just below the crease) bt i sooo wanna try, i just dont know how high to go, and like how to apply it?

heeelp
scared.gif

i like this thread, this is what i've been looking for...i'm very new with e/s and any tips i'll get is a big help for me.

Latest posts

Back