Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer

The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

thanks so much for the tip on the MAC training ebook on ebay. i'm gonna try and get one. i don't care if it's burned either! they offer to either just send you a link or a burned cd. i think i would opt for the cd!  wish me luck with this HG Makeup Bible! lol

Originally Posted by thekifchicksami View Post

Some people say concerler first then foundation and others sat the other way round.. haha

Who do i listen to?

apply foundation first, then concealer. you have a better view of what needs more coverage. plus if you put your concealer on first and then apply foundation, you will mess up or take off your concealer. so foundation, concealer, powder. that's how i was taught and when you think about it, it makes total sense. hope this helps! God bless. <3

Originally Posted by mashak13 View Post

sexisteph - let us know how Crown Brush works out! I really need new brushes but they're so expensive!

Thanks everyone for all the tips! What are some of the best eyeshadow brands to use? I love MAC (of course - they have the best shadows! MACcosmetics.com), but it does get expensive. Any other good ones you all are using?

i have to agree, NYX is my second pick after MAC. and i really like clinique. urban decay is really good too. sometimes i use my NYX over my MAC, i like NYX so much. try some elf products, they are very affordable and fun to play with. just use a primer before your shadows.

What I've found helps when putting on eyeshadow is drawing my crease with a light pencil, perhaps one that will compliment the shadow that will be placed over it like brown under brown/black.  Maybe taking the edge a bit down toward my eye and kinda coloring that in. Its like contouring for the eye. I think it helps one place shadow when they're a beginner. 

I've noticed in videos & blogs that a lot of people put "Primer" on before applying their eyeshadow. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good low costing primer? I've never used or worn primer before. Thanks :)!

I have read that loreal decrease ($9.00) and  e.l.f. Essentials Eyelid Primer ($1.00) work well. If you search primer in the makeup talk search bar you will get some great answers icon_biggrin.gif

• Like 1

You should always put makeup on first before you apply eyeshadow. You can also apply a large quantity of powder underneath your eyes in case the eyeshadow falls. You can remove the extra powder with a brush at the end. The easiest way to apply eye shadow is with your fingertips. Start with a light colour on your whole eyelid and continue with a darker one only on the outer eyelid.

Because I wear liquid makeup (tinted moisturizers, liquid foundation, etc) I actually find that putting my eye makeup on first works better. If I get horrible glitter or shadow fallout, it sticks to the liquid makeup and I end up having to wipe it off. but I'll try using the powder technique--do you mean finishing powders?

Originally Posted by BeautyMist View Post

You should always put makeup on first before you apply eyeshadow.

Originally Posted by orteagone View Post

I've noticed in videos & blogs that a lot of people put "Primer" on before applying their eyeshadow. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good low costing primer? I've never used or worn primer before. Thanks :)!

I have an ELF primer that isn't bad at all. I obviously prefer urban decay primer potion, but for the price point ELF works just fine. NYX also has a decently priced one that works quite well.

I too have the ELF primer and they are good IMHO. I have used mine for awhile now and they never let me down. If you don't have very oily lids, this is a good one to try because it's inexpensive. I use Elite Mineral eye primer most of the time if I want my shadow to last a lot longer and need a sticky base as well. It's a nude stick base so it helps to make my eyeshadow stick and adhere more and prevents it from creasing :)

Originally Posted by americanclassic View Post

Because I wear liquid makeup (tinted moisturizers, liquid foundation, etc) I actually find that putting my eye makeup on first works better. If I get horrible glitter or shadow fallout, it sticks to the liquid makeup and I end up having to wipe it off. but I'll try using the powder technique--do you mean finishing powders?

I mean that with a pon pon I put dust powder on. if you want to see exactly what I mean you can watch this video on the 25th second http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4_qyqmiAY&feature=g-upl&context=G2fb8f5cAUAAAAAAAIAA

Originally Posted by noir View Post

I found this delightfully simple smoky eyeshadow tutorial but when I tried it I got my black eyeshadow dust all over my face, even when I flicked off the brush at first. What do I do to make a neater job of it?

Pat the color on, don't swipe. Use a post-it note and stick it on your face(under eye area) to catch fall outs. or a paper towel underneath your eyes when you apply eyeshadow. saves so much time cleaning up lol 

• Like 1

I have a friend with hazel eyes who refuses to wear anything but lipstick, because she thinks eye make up will make her eyes stand out too much, they're already pretty prominent in the cat-eyed scary way (so she insists). Any suggestion for a tutorial with which I can help add to her beauty without (according to her)  scaring people away? We intend to go make up shopping but she insists she won't touch any eyeshadow, unless I can convince her.