Brushes for Mineral Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I finally gave into the craze and ordered some EDM foundation and powders -- it is the first foundation that actually matches my super-pale skin so I am excited! (And it's almost 1/3 the price of the Prescriptives foundation I was currently using!)

However, now I'd like to get a real kabuki brush, since I've just been using a regular powder brush to apply my EDM samples. I've heard average to poor reviews for EDM's brushes so I thought I would pass on those. I have heard good reviews for Mac brushes but those are out of my price range
wink.gif
I've also heard very good reviews for the Ultimate Buffer Brush. However, the Ultimate Buffer Brush page here says it gives a fuller coverage than a regular kabuki. I prefer a more sheer coverage myself... so has anyone tried the Luscious Kabuki Brush from the same site? Or do you have any recommendations for other kabukis around $20 or so? $45 for a Mac brush just seems crazy to me when surely there's good quality brushes that are cheaper (too bad Sonia Kashuk doesn't have a kabuki)!

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

I actually prefer to use a regular foundation brush!! I think it gives a heavier coverage but that's what I'm looking for....and I find it more accurate and it gets into the wrinklies .....which I don't find the fluffy brushes do.

Anyone else use a foundation brush??

Originally Posted by girl_geek So, I finally gave into the craze and ordered some EDM foundation and powders -- it is the first foundation that actually matches my super-pale skin so I am excited! (And it's almost 1/3 the price of the Prescriptives foundation I was currently using!)
However, now I'd like to get a real kabuki brush, since I've just been using a regular powder brush to apply my EDM samples. I've heard average to poor reviews for EDM's brushes so I thought I would pass on those. I have heard good reviews for Mac brushes but those are out of my price range
wink.gif
I've also heard very good reviews for the Ultimate Buffer Brush. However, the Ultimate Buffer Brush page here says it gives a fuller coverage than a regular kabuki. I prefer a more sheer coverage myself... so has anyone tried the Luscious Kabuki Brush from the same site? Or do you have any recommendations for other kabukis around $20 or so? $45 for a Mac brush just seems crazy to me when surely there's good quality brushes that are cheaper (too bad Sonia Kashuk doesn't have a kabuki)!

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

If you want a Kabuki, I recommend either MAC's kabuki or BE's kabuki. If you light a lighter coverage, go for BE's flawless application face brush, or eveb BE's heavenly face brush.The other of coverage would be

Flawless application face brush < Heavenly face brush < Kabuki

If you do decide to buy a BE brush, make sure you get it at ebay, it is much cheaper!

Honestly, my sister uses BE and she has their brushes, well I sent her a MAC 182 and she is in LOVE. She says it is MUCH MUCH softer than her BE brush and gives a better finish/coverage, so I would really recommend the MAC brush!

I personally didn't care for the BE Kabuki brush. The one I had liked to shed & pile on me... Not to mention, I think pieces of the hairs would get stuck in my face... Felt like fiberglass!

For mineral foundation i really like MAC 187 or Cat cosmetics kabuki brush(they are both soooo soft) and for blush I use MAC 187 or regular blush brush-but prefer 187 cuase it is easier to take very little color and to blend it on really nicely!

For e/s I just use all different brushes.

I've used and tested soooo many brushes! Honestly...any synthetic brush is much softer than the animal hair brushes, plus you generally don't have dye run of the animal hair STINK when you wash them. Plus they dry faster. More hygienic..etc.

I am currently changing out all of my makeup brushes and did a search for the best brushes for mineral makeup.  I decided to bump this thread to see if there were any new perspectives out there.

I currently use my BE brushes with all of my mineral makeup.  However, for my non-mineral makeup I have been using Sigma brushes which I like a lot.  Does anyone use sigma brushes with their mineral makeup?  If so which ones do you use?

Any other good brushes out there to use with mineral makeup?

I just started using the Sonia Kashuk flat-topped Kabuki brush for my mineral makeup, and it's nice!  Gives good coverage, it's cruelty free, it was pretty cheap, and doesn't shed, which is what drove me crazy about the BE brushes.

Originally Posted by LisaF1163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just started using the Sonia Kashuk flat-topped Kabuki brush for my mineral makeup, and it's nice!  Gives good coverage, it's cruelty free, it was pretty cheap, and doesn't shed, which is what drove me crazy about the BE brushes.
The shedding is what is getting to me too.  My main BE brush I have been using for nearly 2 years (I suppose I really shouldn't be complaining at this point).  However, one day, all of a sudden it started shedding bristles in mass quantities.  Really annoying.

I have a flat topped kabuki from Sigma and one from Elf so I could try using those.  I've never tried a Sonia Kashuk brush before but I've seen them at Target.  I'll totally take a look for the brush you recommended next time I go in there.

I've been using it for a few days now, and it's really nice - soft bristles and no shedding.  I even gave it it's first "bath" when I tried a different foundation shade, and no shedding in the sink either.  So for now, on short notice, I can highly recommend it.

Originally Posted by LisaF1163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been using it for a few days now, and it's really nice - soft bristles and no shedding.  I even gave it it's first "bath" when I tried a different foundation shade, and no shedding in the sink either.  So for now, on short notice, I can highly recommend it.
I just checked it out online.  It looks super good, I'll probably end up getting it!

Originally Posted by Flowerfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just checked it out online.  It looks super good, I'll probably end up getting it!
I'm loving it, hope you do too!  I did my makeup with a regular kabuki yesterday, and the flat head kabuki today, and the flat head definitely gave me better coverage. 

Kubuki's are the best way to go for Mineral Makeup.The other best best option is a  use dome brush with stiffer hair so it will pick up the powder best.

Just make sure to wash them and dry them hair down so the won't go bad.

Susan Joy Design

The best flat top kabuki I've ever used is a densely packed synthetic one I got from Coastal Scents. It hasn't shed one hair in the 2+ years I've had it, it washes out beautifully and it buffs product into the face more smoothly than any other brush I own. And I've got quite a few in my collection. I'm going to have to get at least another 2 as backups because if this one ever craps out for any reason, I'll be extremely upset. I think it was around $15 when I bought it, although I picked it up during a sale. I might have paid around $8-9 for it after discount. Spectacular deal. I'm not buying anymore brushes until gossmakeupartist releases his new line of brushes, though. He has promised they are going to be very high quality, while being within the price range of nearly anybody. I believe he said they'll be for sale this month, although I might have misunderstood. Regardless, I'm waiting for them & will likely buy the entire collection. I'm sure they're going to be absolutely amazing. Can't wait!

The best flat top kabuki I've ever used is a densely packed synthetic one I got from Coastal Scents. It hasn't shed one hair in the 2+ years I've had it, it washes out beautifully and it buffs product into the face more smoothly than any other brush I own. And I've got quite a few in my collection. I'm going to have to get at least another 2 as backups because if this one ever craps out for any reason, I'll be extremely upset. I think it was around $15 when I bought it, although I picked it up during a sale. I might have paid around $8-9 for it after discount. Spectacular deal. I'm not buying anymore brushes until gossmakeupartist releases his new line of brushes, though. He has promised they are going to be very high quality, while being within the price range of nearly anybody. I believe he said they'll be for sale this month, although I might have misunderstood. Regardless, I'm waiting for them & will likely buy the entire collection. I'm sure they're going to be absolutely amazing. Can't wait!
Not this month. There was some quality issues and he has a new partner/manufacturer to meet with. Le sigh.... I'll be picking up a few brushes, but am holding out spending a lot of money because I want to try his line out, as well.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best flat top kabuki I've ever used is a densely packed synthetic one I got from Coastal Scents. It hasn't shed one hair in the 2+ years I've had it, it washes out beautifully and it buffs product into the face more smoothly than any other brush I own. And I've got quite a few in my collection. I'm going to have to get at least another 2 as backups because if this one ever craps out for any reason, I'll be extremely upset. I think it was around $15 when I bought it, although I picked it up during a sale. I might have paid around $8-9 for it after discount. Spectacular deal.
I really like my new brushes I got from Coastal Scents, so this is good to know. My new batch of brushes from CS were powder, blush, a few shadow brushes, and a regular kabuki, all of which are really nice.  However, I love my Sonia Kashuk flat top kabuki like crazy, and I'm now seeing the difference between using a flat topped kabuki and a regular kabuki to put on mineral makeup - the flat-topped kabuki is far superior! 

Back