Cocoa Butter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the ingredients in my cleanser (Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish) has Cocoa Butter listed and i've been told it's a very comedogenic (pore-blocking) ingredient.

Is this true?

Would it matter if it's just in my cleanser?

Thanks for any comments. Lee.

This chart will help you
smile.gif
I think it does matter even if it is just in a cleanser - especially if your skin is very acne-prone.

Forgot to say, it's important where it is listed; if it is listed as a sixth ingredient or later, it is not as highly present as if it is e.g. 1st or 2nd. If it's after the 6th place, you're fine.

Low Clogging Probability

Almond Oil (Sweet Almond)
Anhydrous Lanolin
Apricot Kernal Oil
Avocado Oil
Beeswax
Bentonite Clay
Candelilla Wax
Castor Oil
Cetearyl Alcohol
Emulsifying Wax NF
Emu Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
Glycerin
Hydroxypropyl Cellulose
Jojoba
Kaolin Clay
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Polysorbate 20 and 80
Safflower Oil
Sesame Oil
Stearic Acid
Sunflower Oil
Tocopherol
Aloe Vera (cold pressed)

Medium Clogging Probability
Corn Oil
Cottonseed Oil
Crisco
Glyceryl Stearate SE
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
Mink Oil
Soybean Oil
Sulfonated Castor Oil

High Clogging Probability
Cocoa Butter
Coconut Oil
Sodium Chloride (salt)
Wheat Germ Oil

Source

i dont think it is, but i generally stay away from cocoa butter cause the smell is way way too strong for me.

Have you been using it for a while? If so, and you haven't had a break out then its fine. Personally, i'd stay away from butters in general though since they do have a high clogging probability.

I loooooove cocoa butter - BUT I don't think I would use anything on my face that contains it. For the rest of your body though, cocoa butter is the way to go.

I think it depends on the skin type, very dry skin can handle it well, I knew someone who was in prison and he said almost all the men in their used it cause it was the one of the only things they had available and when I saw him after 8 months his skin did look radiant. And once i had a chemical burn froma glycolic peel gone bad and the only thing that healed it and quikly was witch hazel and cocoa butter, and let me tell you my skin looked great. If I do use it though I keep it away from my tzone area cuz of the blackheads

According to my Ingredients Dictionary book. Cocoa Butter is considered comedogenic and may cause an allergic reaction. So be careful if you have sensitive or acne prone skin.

Back