I'm going to beat ocd! need help with getting rid of scabs...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello, i'm new here...

for about 13 years i have had ocd, and when i hit puberty and got acne all hell broke loose, the thing about having ocd for those of you who don't know is when you touch your face or anywhere for that matter that has a zit or a scab, automaticly you start picking at it, sometimes you don't even realize your doing it, and it is extremely hard to stop, its horrible!...i want to change and i am willing to do anything thats within my budget to get rid of the scabs quickly!...i am trying to undergo a process of different things to get my bodys acne to go away and the scabs to go away, becuase if there is no acne, there is no scabs and with no scabs there is nothing to pick at....i am trying my own methods to beat this and i will beat it onw way or another, any help would be appreciated, thanks

d.c.

i haven't found one that accepts my insurance, i just moved here so i haven't found out too much about anything around here yet, but i will keep calling around

It may sound silly, but have you tried wearing gloves/mittens or covering all your fingers with bandaids so that you are unable to pick at your scabs? Of course this method would only work for while you are not out in public, but any time you can give your face to heal is good time imho.

As far as actual acne treatments go, I cannot suggest anything that I know would work for sure - every person's skin is different. I guess I would say your best bet there would be to go to a dermatologist like luxotika suggested
smile.gif

Welcome to MuT! I highly recommend seeing a physician for medication regarding your OCD, or even a therapist to assist you in beating it. I know it's possible at least, as long as someone will accept your insurance to cover the costs. It is a decent idea to wear gloves or something in order to assist with you not picking the acne/scabs. It does almost sound silly, but it might actually work! Best of luck sweetie!

Hi Shishomiru,

Welcome to Makeup Talk. I want to wish you well on your journey to beat OCD. I hope you're able to find a derm real soon who'll accept your insurance and help with the acne.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Shishomuri, I'm sorry to hear that you have OCD and it's affecting your skin. I'm guessing you've been diagnosed and I applaud your decision to beat this, but going it alone is very difficult. If you can't find a psychiatrist who'll accept your insurance, I suggest going to a doctor and looking into medication option. I recommend a psychiatrist, if you can, because they can help you with medication and with behavioral modification. One thing I remember from my studies is an experiment in which people who had OCD were exposed to the trigger for their obsession, but prevented from doing the compulsion. Over time, their drive to do the compulsion lessened (there does seem to be an anxiety component and this is similar to "exposure therapy" used to lessen somed phobias).

One thing that may help (aside from medication and/or behavioral modification) is finding a skincare routine that treats your acne. If you have less to pick at, you'll have fewer scabs/scars to worry about.

I wish you luck and strength to get through this.

aw, i'm sorry! i have a habit of picking at zits too, although i don't know if i'm ocd or not about it, but anyways, have you tried an acne system like proactiv or murad? getting rid of the acne is important, that way you can work on treating scars. try not to pick...it can leave permanent damage!

Hi and welcome to MuT. I just wanted to suggest tht you try Cognitive Behaviour Therapy in regards to your OCD. I suffered from terrible debiliting OCD for many many years but have found that over the past year or so it has almost dissapeared and is controllable,so i just wanted to wish you luck and let you know there is hope for you.Good Luck with finding treatment.

I am sorry to hear about your ocd and acne problems. As Dr. Phil would advise, replace "acne picking" with another habit that keeps your fingers busy.

Look in a mirror as little as possible. Trust that you are beautiful, without constantly having to see your face. Even if you can't find a dermatologist, a family doctor should be able to get you started on medication that will help keep acne away. I use Neo Medrol - the only medication that works for me.

Best of luck with the ocd.

i've been using my bf's oxy cool something or other....normally i lost faith in these type of treatments a while ago becuase i tried things like noxzema and clearasol..and it never worked, but this seems to be doing the job, thanks guys for all your help, i really appreciate it....sorry it took me so long to respond

Originally Posted by shishomiru04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif hello, i'm new here...
for about 13 years i have had ocd, and when i hit puberty and got acne all hell broke loose, the thing about having ocd for those of you who don't know is when you touch your face or anywhere for that matter that has a zit or a scab, automaticly you start picking at it, sometimes you don't even realize your doing it, and it is extremely hard to stop, its horrible!...i want to change and i am willing to do anything thats within my budget to get rid of the scabs quickly!...i am trying to undergo a process of different things to get my bodys acne to go away and the scabs to go away, becuase if there is no acne, there is no scabs and with no scabs there is nothing to pick at....i am trying my own methods to beat this and i will beat it onw way or another, any help would be appreciated, thanks

d.c.

Have you actually been diagnosed with OCD? I mean, picking at your face COULD be a compulsion (the "C" in OCK) but there's other actual "picking" disorders. That's what people tend to fall into with cutting, picking, pulling hair, biting, etc. I have OCD and you should see some of the crazy stuff that I "have to do" (walk through doorways a certain number of times, turn light switches on and off, etc.) but there's no urge to pick my face for me. I met this woman once and she had a picking condition - she would literally make sores on her body just because she would keep clawing at herself. It was awful.

your more than likely right..i have been told by a phsyciatrist that i have ocd like tendancies, but this phsyciatrist was a really bad one, she never paid attetion to what i said to her or anything..she always asked the same questions over and over everytime i came in to see her and she just seemed more like a caring mom that tried to comfort me by telling me things are going to be ok and you look nice today...never offered any phsycolical input whatsoever...glad i don't see her anymore....

Hey D.C.... don't fret or feel too bad. I have the same problem, although I can't really say it's OCD. As a result, I have TONS of scars all over my body and face. I've even gone so far as to do this with my husband when he's not paying attention (now that I say that, it does seem a little OCD.) I wish you the best of luck in your journey. We can beat this!

Nichole

I have a picking problem as well... if i know somethings there(i run over it with my fingers....etc) I HAVE to pick... I am ocd with some things(washing my hands for example) And my boyfriend explained that it could be ocd also. It's VERY frustrating!!!! People don't tend to understand how hard it is to NOT do something that you are completely COMPELLED to do! I use Avon fash wash in the Porefection line I think it's called. It's one of the only fashwashes I've used that hasn't made the acne problems worse! Give it a try!

hahaha! ok, wow....**faCEwashes...not fashwashes...

Latest posts

Back