Make Your Own Mineral Make Up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making their own mineral make-up? Being an MMU addict myself, i've been contemplating on this for a long time?

For those who have tried making their own? Was it worth it?

I love minerals but have never considered making my own. The cost is so low that it just doesn't seem worth it.

Go for it!!! It may not be anything you want to TOTALLY go into but it IS fun, also I think if anything if you wear MMU you should gather a few blending tips that work for you in the event there is a company that makes good shades but you say want a dead on match.Also the pigments shades you already own, blend a little bit of them together to create another shade, last one less you have to buy!

I have thought about doing my own but theres alot involved especially getting the shade right. I dont mind buying my MMU theres lots of great comp out there.

I love getting packages in the mail so for now I am just going to continue to purchase MMU
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Milan_Minerals /img/forum/go_quote.gif Go for it!!! It may not be anything you want to TOTALLY go into but it IS fun, also I think if anything if you wear MMU you should gather a few blending tips that work for you in the event there is a company that makes good shades but you say want a dead on match.Also the pigments shades you already own, blend a little bit of them together to create another shade, last one less you have to buy! Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I do multi-task and custom blend. A little goes a long way.
add_wegbrech.gif

Originally Posted by AngelaGM /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love getting packages in the mail so for now I am just going to continue to purchase MMU
smile.gif
Hahahaha DITTO!

i'd love to learn how to make them. but im scared to put them on my face, if ever i would make one someday, haha

I would love to do that but i dont think i have the patients to find the right shades for myself.

i wouldn't know where to start. then if i did start it would probably never end because i could see that beoming obsessional

There is a website that sells kits to make your own. I can't think of the site right now. I didn't get much sleep. lol

Originally Posted by periwinkle_sky /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nah. I'm too freakin' lazy to mix and match. Mixing my own bought MMU is tedious enough. Ditto.

Originally Posted by Summer /img/forum/go_quote.gif There is a website that sells kits to make your own. I can't think of the site right now. I didn't get much sleep. lol Here's a supply source if you wish to make your own mineral makeup:
Monave Mineral Make Up

One day, when I'm brave enough, I should give this a try! For now, I'll stick with online orders!

I dont think its as easy (at first) as it sounds once you get the jist of it im sure its cake but its getting to that point thats tough. The companies that sell their MMU have worked years & spent lots of money to come up with just the right formulas. The closest I will get to making my own will be mixing shades of other brands I dont want to spend a ton on materials for a product I cant use.

Lucky for you, there are many mineral make-up supplier there in the US. But for us here in the Philippines, it even costs more to have it shipped out via courier or UPS. That's is why i thought of making my own.

I came across this recipe in the net.

Loose MIneral Foundation Powder

Makes approximately 30 grams (1 oz)

Measure all ingredients

Ingredients/materials needed:

Micronized Titanium Dioxide

Bismuth Oxychloride

Zinc Oxide

Sericite Mica - Mat Finish

Magnesium Stearate

Yellow, Red & Brown Iron Oxide Pigments

Jojoba Oil

Vitamin E Oil

Essential Oil

Mortar & Pestle

Sifter Jars

measuring spoons,

cosmetic brushes (large full brush for foundation)

Phase I

8 tsp Micronized Titanium Dioxide

3 tsp Bismuth Oxychloride

4 tsp Zinc Oxide-Low Micron

1 tsp Magnesium Stearate

1/2 - 1 tsp Yellow Iron Oxide

1/16 tsp Brown Iron Oxide

Pinch of Red Iron Oxide

Phase II

1/4 tsp Jojoba Oil

5 drops Vitamin E Oil

4-8 drops any essential oil (we used Bergamot)

Phase III

1 tsp. Sericite Mica - Mat Finish

Mix the ingredients from Phase I in your mortar and pestle, blending well. Slowly

add the ingredients from Phase II to the mix. Stir until homogenous. Last, add

the Phase III ingredient and stir with a spoon, scraping any mixture off the sides

of the bowl.

Determining the correct color for you:

Change the tint by adding more of any of the iron oxides. Add more titanium

dioxide, zinc oxide or sericite mica if you desire a lighter overall shade.

Make note of your additions/changes so that you can duplicate when necessary.

Transfer foundation powder into a 30 gr sifter jar for easy application with a large foundation brush.

Mineral Makeup | Recipe to Make Your Own Mineral Foundation Powder

I can get the raw materials from here and from China, I guess, i'll just try the above recipe and find out if i'll get the formula i want.

Back