Fashion Week Trip - Pictures & Story...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Click here to see my pics!

Okay kids, so…

I won a trip from Glam.com to go to New York Fashion Week. I could take along a guest, so I took my best friend..my mom!

We had the most amazing time! There were beautiful models, amazing runway shows, celebrities, free goodies, VIP treatment with our own driver and everything! It was a whirlwind experience and I owe it all to Melissa from Glam.com!

So here's a quick recap of how our schedule from Saturday until Tuesday went.

Saturday:

Arrive at 5 something pm, go to the W hotel, check in and are greeted with two huge gift bags filled with Bliss Spa products, Nioxin hair products, some Glam goodies, and our tickets and itinerary for the days ahead.

At 7:45 pm we had reservations at Vento's, a restaurant located in the meat packing district. There we met Melissa, our lovely guide from Glam.com. We had a great seat upstairs by an open window and we were informed by our wonderful server William that we had just missed seeing Gwen Stefani leave in her Escalade from the Soho House (a hotel) right across the street. Needless to say we were very excited to have even been in the vicinity of Gwen Stefani. But anywho, the meal was fantastic and the best part was..it was free!

Bed time.

Sunday:

Get up, dressed, makeup on, and trot down to the Bliss Spa on the first floor of our hotel. My mom got a complimentary pedicure and I got a manicure (I'm not into people touching my tootsies). We only had an hour before we had to be at Bryant Park in front of the tents to meet Melissa.

So at 1 pm we are at Bryant Park, a normal, outdoor park that they have transformed into a fashion universe for the next week. So at 1 we meet Melissa and head backstage for the Tracy Reese show. Backstage was a madhouse! People were everywhere, doing hair and makeup, standing around chit chatting, and media people were stalking about taking pictures. We got the honor of meeting Tracy Reese and she was extremely nice and very beautiful. Also, backstage we saw the makeup artist Mally. She gave me a big smile when I was taking a picture of her. She was quite beautiful and it looked like she had a bun in the oven.

Finally 2pm is when the show is supposed to start, so we go around into the main tents. We file into the room where the show is to be held, we take our seats, and some of the last people to show up are celebs. Carmen Electra, Finola Hughes (host of the show How Do I Look?), Tim Gunn (mentor on Project Runway), and a few other fashion gurus whose names I can't remember. The show goes on. It was great. The clothes were amazing!

After that, we leave, go back to the hotel to change, and go to Macy's. Which was awesome by itself 'cause it's flipping huge! Oh yeah, and while attempting to get back to our hotel we run into numerous road blocks because wouldn't you know it, President Bush was in town for the 9/11 memorial and he was staying at the Waldorf-Astoria right across the street from our hotel. The cops said we'd practically have to go halfway around the world just to get to the other side of the street.

That night we eat at the China Grill (again, free) and afterwards go to Times Square. I recommend sunglasses for anyone who travels there at night. There're so many lights that it's blinding!

After that...time for bed. BUT WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE! Before mom and I could rest our innocent little heads to our pillows we hear screaming coming from the balcony, that is for some reason directly connected to our room, even though we can't access it, and it sounds like someone's either dying or having sex. So I peep out there and wouldn't you know it, a white behind is bopping furiously up and down on the lounge chair. Yes, some nasty sex fiends were getting their freak on less than 5 feet away from us!

Monday:

Sleep in really late.

Get up and get ready to go to another W hotel across town. We get there and we get our hair and makeup done by Nioxin and NARS. It was a fun time and we got all kinds of free makeup! Yay for the freebies! We got to stay in the makeup and hair room for a few hours and we got to watch all the models get their stuff done. Some of them were actually very nice. One girl even told me I had pretty hair.
smile.gif

At around 6 that evening we go to Sephora and Melissa had some gift cards and she allowed us to purchase all the makeup that the NARS artists used to create our look. It was like $300 worth of makeup...free! I love you Melissa! lol...

At 7 pm is the Alvin Valley show, which was actually a presentation. A presentation, I learned, is different from a runway show because instead of walking down a runway to show off the clothes, the models stand up on a platform and rotate around it so that you can admire the clothes for more than just a second. It was very interesting and I liked it a lot. Afterward, we got some goodie bags and we got to meet Alvin Valley himself. What a nice guy! I felt like such a goober though because he told me it was only right that we give each other air kisses. You know, the kind on each cheek where you don't actually touch the cheek. Nevertheless, I followed the man's command. It was a fun time. There were a few socialites there but I didn't really know who they were.

At 9 we had reservations to eat dinner at the Hudson Hotel and it was so awesome! The hotel itself is very lodge like with a modern twist. The food was great and once again...free.

Time to go to bed.

Tuesday:

Tibi show at 9 am. The clothes were beautiful and there was so much energy. I loved it! Chef Rachael Ray was supposed to be there but we never ended up seeing her sit down.

Monique Lhuillier show at 10 am. LeAnn Rimes and her husband were in attendance. This show was probably my favorite because it was nothing but amazing gowns. It was one of the most exciting things I've seen in a while.

After the show we did a little video spot for a blog that Glam.com is affiliated with. I've yet to figure out where to go to see this video though. Then after that, mom's about to head off to buy a new piece of luggage and I'm about to go to my first Anthropologie store. But wait, before we depart, we see none other than stylist Robert Verdi from the fabulous show Fashion Police! Mom and I were hoping so badly to see him! He was so funny and he let us take a picture with him. And too, for any of you who watch The Look For Less on Style, we saw and took a picture with stylist James Aguiar. He was funny, accusing me of grabbing his ass. And we think, but are not sure, that Joan Rivers darted past us. She was trekking past us like a bat out of hell though, so we didn't get a solid look.

Finally we get our garb from the hotel, go to the airport, and bing bang boom, here we are back at home. (Oh, and while we were checking out of our hotel, J. Alexander from America’s Next Top Model was checking in. I was such a doofus. I was like, “Oh I know you! You’re from America’s Next Top Model!†and he then said, “Hi, how are you?†and I just stood there. I’m such an idiot!)

So surreal, so amazing, and I can't believe it really happened. But it did and I'm so immensely thankful! WOOOHOOO! I WENT TO FASHION WEEK!!!!!!! AHHH!!!!

Wow, you are so lucky! That's would be like a dream come true for me. I always wanted to go to fashion week. Its sooo glamourous. I just saw the pics, they're fab! I want to go so bad. Sigh...maybe one day

Lucky! Jealousy has set in now... I am walking away from this post! LOL!

oh, my god! how great! thank you so much for sharing. you seem like the type of person that deserves it
smile.gif

I thought of you MUT ladies (and gents) everyday I was there. I kept thinking, "Geez, they are just the type of people who would appreciate all this makeup and fashion!"

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif you seem like the type of person that deserves it
smile.gif
What a sweet thing to say!
scared.gif
Thank you!

I am so glad that you had such a great time! I am sure it is something you and your mom will never forget! Thank you for sharing all the details with us!

BTW love the slideshow!

That's soo wonderful! I'm glad you guys had such a great time! Thanks for sharing it with us, I liked the pics.
smile.gif

That's wonderful, you're one lucky girl! Thanks for sharing! I'm sooo jealous!

Dang Monique!! You are so fly! Was it way cool to be around all that hullabaloo and stuff...
rockwoot.gif
. Checking in at the W hotel....wee!! It looks like you and your mom had a great time..your pics are beautiful!!

Whoa, it looks like you had a very nice time, and free stuff is never ever a wrong thing...

omg awsome!! good for you!!!! and that was so amazing u took your mom id take mine too!!! nice pics btw!

wow whitney! just loved you pics. what a wonderful experience. did i see a pic of you and your friend with tracey reese? how cool! congrats on a great win and a beautiful trip!

Latest posts

Back