Wanna help me with a skin care regime???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
LOL! Okay, I'm horrible at taking care of my skin properly, and since I'm nearing 30 within the next few years, it's time I start taking better care of myself. I'm definitely not getting younger, and I'm sure I won't always be blessed with good skin!

That being said, currently I have a pretty simple routine. I wash my face with AVON Naturals Purifying Tea Tree & Grapefruit 2-in-1 Cleansing Gel, use MAC Microfine Refinisher 2-3x a week, and use the complimenting facial cream to my cleanser. I also use either MAC Fast Response or AVON ANEW Ultimate Transforming Eye Lift Cream in the under eye area. I hardly ever break out, but when I do get my occasional pimple, I just use MK Blemish Control Toner for on-the-spot treatment.

I'd like to know more about peels, and maybe what other kinds of treatments would be good for better taking care of my skin. I'm bad about being sure to wash my face nightly, really bad! I try to be good, but sometimes I'm just TOO tired and lazy! While my routine works well for me, I'm wondering is there isn't something I should add to it in order to keep my face wrinkle free LOL! Any suggestions or recs? TIA!!!

I started using a Retin A version (called Stievaa Vitamin A acid gel because in Canada, that is how it is manufactured). In either case, the active ingredient is Tetrinoin. It helps the skins cells rejuvinate quickly and keeps collagen from decreasing. There are many documented cases, in clinical trials, of wrinkles actually being repaired.

Young women aren't concerned about collagen because they have an abundance of it. But as we age, faces can take on a sunken appearance.

Cheeks become drawn out, undereye skin looks thinner, and hands look weathered. Applying tretinoin daily keeps collagen from decreasing. But the secret is you have to start using it at your age, not in your fourties when the damage has become.

Paula Begoun recommends using an alpha or beta hydroxy acid with Tetrinoin because it helps remove the old cells so your skin has a healthy glow. In Canada, Stievaa is a prescription, is $25 and lasts 4 months.

I have heard that peels feel great but are not doing anything to keep skin healthy. If anything, they can irritate skin and cause breakouts - just what you are trying to avoid. Hope my information helps.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL! Okay, I'm horrible at taking care of my skin properly, and since I'm nearing 30 within the next few years, it's time I start taking better care of myself. I'm definitely not getting younger, and I'm sure I won't always be blessed with good skin!
That being said, currently I have a pretty simple routine. I wash my face with AVON Naturals Purifying Tea Tree & Grapefruit 2-in-1 Cleansing Gel, use MAC Microfine Refinisher 2-3x a week, and use the complimenting facial cream to my cleanser. I also use either MAC Fast Response or AVON ANEW Ultimate Transforming Eye Lift Cream in the under eye area. I hardly ever break out, but when I do get my occasional pimple, I just use MK Blemish Control Toner for on-the-spot treatment.

I'd like to know more about peels, and maybe what other kinds of treatments would be good for better taking care of my skin. I'm bad about being sure to wash my face nightly, really bad! I try to be good, but sometimes I'm just TOO tired and lazy! While my routine works well for me, I'm wondering is there isn't something I should add to it in order to keep my face wrinkle free LOL! Any suggestions or recs? TIA!!!

If you're not already using a SPF facial sunscreen/moisturiser with sunscreen, start now!
Maybe use AHA(glycolic acid)? But seeing as your skin is darker, I'm not sure if you can use AHA(glycolic acid). I'd speak to Monnie about it as I think she knows more about AHA(glycolic acid) and darker skin than I do.

Re: cleansing at night time, try facial cleansing wipes.

Hope that is of some help
smile.gif
smile.gif

Keep out of the sun :)

Ive just moved to Turkey from England. The difference in climate is amazing and I sunbathed quite a lot when I got here. Needless to say the novelty wore off and I have definitely noticed a dryer kind of skin, so I stopped and next season Im going to wear a minimum factor 30 SPF and use fake tan.

My friends think im crazy but I dont want to end up looking like an old bit of leather in a few years :)

Be strict with yourself taking make up off of a night time. Even when tired, intoxicated or just plain lazy, I always make myself do it. Its amazing if you do that it just becomes second nature like cleaning your teeth and you'll be in bed before you know it and cant even remember taking it off.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL! Okay, I'm horrible at taking care of my skin properly, and since I'm nearing 30 within the next few years, it's time I start taking better care of myself. I'm definitely not getting younger, and I'm sure I won't always be blessed with good skin!

well I'm 31 and have had problems with my skin in the past in the form of eczema and dryness. I have tried all sorts of skin care routines from cheap to expensive and have always still had patches of eczema or dry skin on my face. I was quite worried that having such dry skin that i would start to age more rapidly and have gotten myself quite upset about it.

In one of my bad spells of nothing working i tried Avon's solutions in the hydrofirming range and have never looked back. i think it was on special offer so i thought what the heck but the difference in my skin is amazing. I use the cream cleanser morning and night and because it is gentle i can take all my make up off with it including eye make up, i use the alcohol free toner and then the day or night cream. The day cream has a spf15 in which pleases me. i also use the Avon clinical eye lift twice daily which has reduced the darkness below my eyes and haes reduced some of my crows feet which were starting to appear. I would now say my skin is about normal condition. i sometimes get the tiniest dry patch which soon dissapears with exfoliation, and i get the occasional hormonal breakout. I'm also thinking about trying some of the other AVON anew producst such as the peels and the thermafirm cream. I know a lot of people do thinkAvon are bad but i am really ipressed with them and the less money i spend on lotions and potions the more money i can spend on make up.

I wouold probably stick with what you are doig but maybe change your moisturiser to one of the anew ones or solutions ones that will give you some wrinkle bashing power, but the main thing is eat well and drink loads of water that will also help.

i think spf and drink water and hydrate ur skin and ull b fine as long as u dnt have pimples belive me its easy (knocks on the wood)

Okay, I don't go in the sun, so we're good there. I do have an SPF 36 sunscreen, but I'm a dolt and forget to wear it... Although, my foundation has SPF 15 and my powder has SPF 10.

So basically, the only thing I should start doing is drinking more water, quit smoking (shhh!!!!!!), and maybe find a better eye cream... Other than that, I guess I'm okay... Right? I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it??? My mom still looks amazing at 47 (she looks 18), and she doesn't do anything besides wash her face with Dove soap, use St. Ives Apricot Scrub & moisturize with Nivea... Maybe I'll luck out with her good skin! LOL!

If it works well why tamper with your routine? introducing something else might completely throw your face off and cause your skin to start aging. I say stick to what you are doing now and when the time comes you can use the peels and what not. you do have beautiful skin.

you must get an SPF 30+ and wear it ever day over your moisturiser. MD Formulations make a great one.

To get really glowy fresh skin. Get one of two "maintance" peels a year. If you are looking for fast results get a pack a 6, one every week

The only thing I would suggest is what goddess said about maybe getting some facial wipes or pads, and keeping them beside the bed or something because it is important to wash your face at night!

I agree with cyw1, some kind of retiol product would definitely slow down aging. it was scientifically proven that these products actually work. I am not sure how to get Retin A though.

also, try products with vitamin c, i heard that Body Shop vitamin C serum is good...

Definitely use your spf everymorning. Your spf in your powder doesn't ad to the other one like spf 10 plus spf 15= spf 25. It is just spf 15 that counts. But it is good that you use something with spf in it. Drink lot of water and make sure to clean your mu everynight. I don't do peels because I am not lucky on that department. But I do exfoliate twice a week with my scrub and use mask after that. hth.
smile.gif

Well your regime looks fine, the only thing i would question is the 2in1 cleanser iv always heard 2in1s are not good as they dont give the right hmm how can i put this goodness? lol (sorry iv just got up, i cant think too good at the moment) just like a 2in1 shampoo and conditioner there just not meant to be good for your hair because its not giving it the benefits a shampoo and conditioner would seperately. So i would think it would be the same with a cleanser. Anyone else agree?

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif if it ain't broke, don't fix it??? My mom still looks amazing at 47 (she looks 18), and she doesn't do anything besides wash her face with Dove soap, use St. Ives Apricot Scrub & moisturize with Nivea... Maybe I'll luck out with her good skin! LOL! this may just be the case and that's a good thing! i say if what you're using is working don't change it until it stops, and then only change one product at a time! i would drink the water though, that can help with anything you do! you look gorgeous, sweetie! when it's time to do more, believe me, you'll know!

The key ingredient in Retin A (United States) or Stievaa Vitamina A Acid gel or cream (Canada) is Tretinoin. It requires a prescription in US or Canada.

If you live in another country, your doctor should know where you can get Tretinoin or write a prescription. If you are visiting US or Canada, you can still see a doctor here - just pay the office fee and the dr will write a prescription.

I advised on another thread to start with small amounts on skin. It can really irritate so you might want to apply every other day until you get used to it. Also, wait 30 minutes after washing face before you apply.

It is ok to wear makeup after applying, just wait 15 minutes so it gets absorbed into skin, before make up.

Back