Your age by chocolate math

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
YOUR AGE BY CHOCOLATE MATH

DON'T CHEAT BY SCROLLING DOWN FIRST!

It takes less than a minute.

Work this out as you read .

Be sure you don't read the bottom until you've worked it out!

This is not one of those waste of time things, it's fun.

1. First, pick the number of times a week that you would like to have chocolate

(more than once but less than 10)

2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold)

3. Add 5

4. Multiply it by 50 -- I'll wait while you get the calculator

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1756 .. If you haven't, add 1755.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

You should now have a three digit number.

The first digit of this was your original number (i.e., how many times you want to have chocolate each week).

The next two numbers are YOUR AGE! (Oh YES, it is!!!!!)

THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR (2006) IT WILL EVER WORK...

Holy Cow! It worked for me!! Neat-O!!
smile.gif

OMG!!! that is so freaky!! what the?!

well it obviously worked!
wassatt.gif
lol cool!!

This only works if you are less than 100 years old
wink.gif

Say the number you choose is x. Then after step 5, you always get a number in the form of 2x06 or 2x05:

(x * 2 + 5) * 50 + 1756 = 2x06

or

(x * 2 + 5) * 50 + 1755 = 2x06

For example, if you choose x = 7 and you have already had your birthday, after step 5 you get

(7 * 2 + 5) * 50 + 1756 = 2706

Notice that as long as you subtract any number between 1907 and 2006, you will get a 3-digit number where the first digit is 7. (If you have not had your birthday, then you can subtract any number between 1906 and 2005 to get the right answer.) This should work for any x you choose, though I didn't bother to check it for every possible digit. But for another example, if x = 1, then:

(1 * 2 + 5) * 50 + 1756 = 2106

So again, subtracting a number between 1907 and 2006 will give you 1. So I'm just guessing this works for every x.
smile.gif

This also means that just by changing the number you add in step 6, you can make this puzzle work for any year, not just 2006.

I like math puzzles
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by lynnda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Girl Geek....You are just too smart!!
laughing.gif

Anyone could do what I did by just picking several different values for the number of days you want chocolate, then just writing down the numbers you get at each step and noticing the pattern.... when I saw the number 2706 pop up when I picked 7 for the first number, it made me think that wasn't just a coincidence
wink.gif

So then I knew that the final answer has to be between 700 and 799, if we want a 3-digit number that begins in 7. So 2706 - 700 = 2006, and 2706 - 799 = 1907, so that means you need to subtract a number between 1907 and 2006 in step 6 to get the right answer.
smile.gif

Yay. I am 20! LoL. I don't really like chocolate that much so I only picked 2, haha. That was pretty cool.

Back