Elisabeth Hasselbeck Fumes Over Law & Order

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
elisabeth_hasselbeck.jpg

The View cohost Elisabeth Hasselbeck is fuming mad over an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in which a character, whose name is very close to her own, is raped and killed, she said on Tuesday.

"Last week Law & Order: SVU had an episode where a 30-year-old woman in New York City is raped twice and then murdered – and her name is Elizabeth Hassenback," Hasselbeck, 29, said on The View. "I found this a little disturbing."

Hasselbeck said that after hearing about the show from a friend, she called an SVU executive producer whom she declined to name – though co-host Rosie O'Donnell chimed in, "But you can Google it at home!" – to express her anger.

"I told him 'Look, I want to let you know that I think it's socially irresponsible and gruesomely suggestive to do this in today's day and age," said Hasselbeck, who has an 18-month daughter, Grace, with her husband, New York Giants quarterback Tim Hasselbeck.

She described the executive producer as "defensive right from the jump" and said that he told he her to "chalk up" the name similarity to "coincidence."

When she challenged the idea that the show, which is famous for ripped from the headlines scripts, had coincidentally used a character with a name so close to hers, the producer gave a terse apology, according to Hasselbeck, then said: "Goodbye lady," and hung up on her.

Hasselbeck said that incident made her feel like she never wanted to sit next to an SVU cast member again. "I think those are good actors and good people, but I can't sit next to them without feeling as though I have been disrespected and just put at risk."

A spokesperson for Law & Order: SVU told PEOPLE that before a character can be named on an episode, "all names have to be cleared through legal."

The spokesperson added: "The producers of SVU absolutely love The View and are totally thrilled when one of our actors are on the show. Mariska (Hargitay) has co-hosted the show. Chris (Meloni), (Richard) Belzer and Ice-T have all been on the show."

Barbara Walters, who founded The View, also praised Meloni and Hargitay as "favorite guests" of the show.

SOURCE

Here is the clip!

Wow! That was pretty damned rude of him to talk to her like that... Can't say I don't blame her for feeling like she does either.

Every name they use on ANY show belongs to someone somewhere. CSI used a name a few weeks ago that is the same as my friends dad. WHOOP DI ****IN DOOOOOOOOOOO. Its not like shes a real celeb, shes a horrible excuse for a journalist. She may be a good designer, but she should have stuck to that. I dont know why she thinks shes important enough to do anything about it. The part about not sitting next to SVU cast members is beyond ridiculous. I cant stand her.

She's kinda wacko...she always gets worked up over stuff on the view - I don't watch it but my mom does.

Didn't expect anything less from my least favorite host on that show. Though Rosie is starting to get on my nerves too.

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif uh, overreacting much? I agree! If she had not of made such a big deal no one would probably even thought about it!! She isn't a HUGE star by no means!
tocktock.gif

I agree that she might be overreacting a little but Hassenback is ridiculously close to Hasselbeck. There are a gajillion other names one could use, but they chose to use a name similar to the one of a B list celeb. The producers had to know there might be controversy......which I'm sure is EXACTLY what they wanted. It would be a differnt situation if the last name was Jones or Williams. But Hassenback? C'mon....intentional.

they once had a girl on the show named sonya, if she is getting really pissed off i can i sue the show?

take a chill pill women.

Wow...drama queen, anyone?

She irks me to no end...and I don't even watch the show. I saw a show or two with her on it and couldn't stand her. The show was switched off within a few minutes of starting.

Putting her at risk? In what way??

maybe it hits close to home. i was thinking maybe the same thing happened to her, except the killing, and it was made public? i don't know...

Jeez... A few years ago there was this episode of a Flemish cop-show, based in my city. The episode was about a pimp/loverboy Bjorn (my bf's name) and his ho Eva (my name). I just thought it was superfunny
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer maybe it hits close to home. i was thinking maybe the same thing happened to her, except the killing, and it was made public? i don't know... That could explain the reaction, I hope it's not true tho
smile.gif

i loved her in survivor..but she's kind of annoying on the view. she's very defensive especially when she firmly believes in something.

Back