Question for African American Females!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Ladies!

I'm new to the board and also a very curious female to different kinds of makeup!

I use Maybelline Ever Fresh Foundation, which I love! But I think it has been discontinued(I can't find it anymore!) -

The "Cocoa" color fits my skin complexion naturally and to a T, you would never know I wear makeup, I have makeup artists in awe, it's just that natural. It took me a very long time to find that perfect color though, so i'm some what bummed.

But at the same time, I have acne prone/VERY OILY NOSE - I hate it, the makeup never did much for my nose, the oil floated right over the make up, my nose shined so loud you could see your reflection!!
laughing.gif

But now, I need advice on a new makeup brand where I could get that natural looking coverage and could also some how reduce the oil in my nose???

Any advice from females of my ethnicity could be much help (Since its so hard to find a foudnation that matches me)

But any advice would work pretty much, so anyone respond!!

Thank you!

And by the way, I bought SheerCover, and it was awful on me, it made me look pale ... I was bummed because I was expecting alot

There are several makeup brands that you can use to get the color and coverage that you want. Two of my favorites are Iman (found at Target and some drugstores) and Black Opal (found in drugstores and WalMart).

I love both brands because they have very light shades and very dark shades with various undertones.

I agree with candace, Iman is a great brand. She has various shades for both red and yellow undertones. I used to use MAC studio fix but it had a tendency to turn darker/orangy as my skin got oily.

Originally Posted by Mezzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hello Ladies!
I'm new to the board and also a very curious female to different kinds of makeup!

I use Maybelline Ever Fresh Foundation, which I love! But I think it has been discontinued(I can't find it anymore!) -

The "Cocoa" color fits my skin complexion naturally and to a T, you would never know I wear makeup, I have makeup artists in awe, it's just that natural. It took me a very long time to find that perfect color though, so i'm some what bummed.

But at the same time, I have acne prone/VERY OILY NOSE - I hate it, the makeup never did much for my nose, the oil floated right over the make up, my nose shined so loud you could see your reflection!!
laughing.gif

But now, I need advice on a new makeup brand where I could get that natural looking coverage and could also some how reduce the oil in my nose???

Any advice from females of my ethnicity could be much help (Since its so hard to find a foudnation that matches me)

Thank you!

And by the way, I bought SheerCover, and it was awful on me, it made me look pale ... I was bummed because I was expecting alot

Hi,

Welcome to MUT. I certainly can appreciate the oily nose situation. What I recently picked up was Iman's newest foundation product call 2nd to None Stick Foundation. It is oil-free and contains silicone. You can look in Makeup Talk's Review Section as I placed comments there about Iman's product. Also try doing a search on the forum for Prescriptives Makeup as quite a few members like this also.

With regards to the oily nose, you must use an oil-free powder for setting and touching up your makeup. Also make sure you have blotting tissues. During touchups, alternate between the powder and blotting tissues.

I bought this cute lil kit from Black Opal...contains the light conceal and two foundation..Heavenly Honey and Topaz...and they are PERFECT.....I've been forever looking for a concealer and this one does the job..also the lighter of the foundations worked perfectly for the lighter parts of my face an the darker one worked great on my chin and forehead...all blended togther looks completely natural.

I also use MAC Studio Fix Powder and i love the finish that gives me...however it tends to make my T-zone oiler than it already is...

HTH

i don't like gemey to a black skin.

I prefer make up 4 ever or black up( it's french and great!!!).

i started using posner cream cover concealer which i love for giving a natural and flawless look. it oil free and has a matte finish without looking cakey. let us know what you decided on! btw welcome to mut! i'm monnie from michigan!

The l'oreal true match one is pretty good but I'm only medium dark. As for your oily nose do you use a mattifying base before you put on your make up?

welcome to MuT!

i had a client the other day and it was very hard to match her up, but we found a match in clinique. this is what we ended up using and she loved it! she also had oily skin.

click here to see your options. i'm not sure how much coverage you want/need!

I have oily skin also. In the summer I started using MAC's Dark Natural MSF because I wanted coverage but a natural look. It's a powder that gives medium to full coverage and doesn't get oily. I think I'll be wearing it all year round (especially if they make it permanent). I also used to use their blot powder in Dark with Studio Fix liquid foundation in my shade and it worked very well. HTH!
biggrin.gif

I used to wear only coverage from Mac but I tried Black Opal and I love it. It's much cheaper and it does the same job. You can purchase it at Walmart.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Mezzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hello Ladies!

laughing.gif

Thank you!

You tried Sheer Cover, but you may want to look at some other mmu (mineral make-up) lines like Aromaleigh, Everyday Minerals, Bare Esceuntals, etc. Mineral makeup is really good for your skin, and they have formulations that provide a natural finish, and some of the mmu lines offer free samples w/shipping.

I will second Loreal True Match. I am black/italian, so my skintone is medium. I have found their concealors and foundation to match perfectly. My mom is darker than me, and has always had a problem finding a match. She went to the Prescriptives counter and had them custom blend a foundation for her. That is the only time she has had a foundation match her perfectly. I can't link sites yet, but if you go on the prescriptives website and search for custom blend you'll find information on the site about it. I think you should give that a try, I don't think its too pricey and hopefully they'll match your skintone!
smile.gif
Good luck with your search.

There are a lot of options to choose from that get the color and undertones "just right" for our African American skin. Here are a few more options that I have used and liked. Bobbi Brown - yellow based so you don't have to worry about pink undertones. I've used this brand on many clients including Shaun Robinson for Access Hollywood. I especially like the concealer. Temptu airbrush makeup - Very light weight but covers well, with colors that range from pale light to deep dark. I've used it on myself and clients including Tanika Ray for HGTV'd, when they have to look natural for High Def tv shows. You can get the consumer version at Sephora stores. They also have self tanners (yep...just like a tanning salon), bronzers, highlighters, and blush too. I use their products daily for work. Jane Iredale mineral makeup - One of the things that I love about this product is that it is matte. Most mineral makeups are too shiny...because they are a mineral. Just like any stone, it shines, and the more you polish it the more it will shine. This ones different. It is not shiny, but if you want it to be shiny all you need to do is blend it a little more in the spot you want shine and it will become that way. Colors range from pale light to chocolate dark. Covergirl Queen collection - This brand was created with the help of Queen Latifah and makeup artist Roxanne Floyd so not only are the colors perfect, but it doesn't contain a high amount of titanium dioxide which can make ethnic skin look ashy....especially in pictures. I used this on myself and a lot of clients. My favorite is the liquid foundation, powders and bronzers. I used the Covergirl Queen bronzer on one of the ladies that i did makeup on (and she was Caucasian) when I appeared on The Wendy Williams Show on April 1, 2011 for their makeover for Mom show. I applied it as a eye shadow and contour for cheeks before i applied her blush. The colors are rich and range from light to deep dark chocolate skin tones. Celebrity makeup artist Sam Fine loves using the bronzers on his celebrity clients including, Iman and Halle Berry to give skin a glow. I hope this helps to give you more options in various price ranges and formulas.

Latest posts

Back