*Sigh* This Town Is Too Puritanical, So Much So That I Can't Find Work

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What can I say? I'm tired of this town, and I'm looking for a way out.

I'm tired of the ultra-conservatisim and all the dirty politics going on here. I've been working hard at trying to find work, but I end up having to lower my expectations because every time I get a call back, I'm told that I don't look "professional" enough. It's not like I'm walking into these places looking dingy and dirty. So I guess nice natural makeup and a clean, pressed suit is not "professional" enough?! *Sigh* The last person who interviewed me simply scowled at me the entire time she was giving the interview. Not even a HINT of a smile crept past her face, and ask I walked away I could hear her say to another employee, "What a fat idiot." I tried to keep from crying as I made my way out the door.

My husband has wasted almost an entire tank of gas looking for work, and even he hasn't gotten a call back...

I'm having a ***** of a time trying to apply for school. I got all the other necessary work done, but my former employer REFUSES to send me my w-2's so I can apply for financial aid. Doesn't he know that denying me this is a federal offense? I guess he doesn't really care about his job very much...

I've called three times in the past five weeks, but I haven't seen any results.

None. I have only one loan, and it's in default and I was promptly told that I would have to make six payments if I wanted to get my loan back into forebearance. I don't think the lint in my jeans has any value whatsoever on the market, so I guess I'm just SOOL ($hit Out Of Luck).

I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, and BOY am I DESPERATE!

Aww, I am so sorry! I wish I could give you a big hug, even though that won't make it better. Hope things work out for you soon.
hugss.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to add.. that even though it hurt when they said that--just be glad you did not land that job. Can you imagine working with those evil people?

And shame on them. I think I would have walked back and said something. It's not like they were going to hire you, since they said cruel things... so why not give them a piece of your mind?

Hang in there, hun. Wish you luck! <3

I know the other girls will give you legal/job or money finding advice. Wish I had the info for you.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I wish there was something I could do to help.

What's your former employer's complex? You need to threaten him or something. lol...I'm terrible

It would be helpful if I knew the following: What drew you and your husband to this area? And what kind of work are the two of you looking for?

Hope these questions are not too personal.

i am so very sorry you are having such trouble finding work where you are. can i ask what sort of work you are looking for if that isn't too personal too?

Hey, I'm so sorry!!! So, move! Go somewhere you'll love to live and you'll find a job that is right for you.

I had a problem with an employer not sending me my tax info. My friends Dad (a lawyer) told me that was crap, they are legally obligated to send it. -- It was tax time, and they said they already sent it, but I didn't get it. -- they sent it to the wrong address, so they refused to send another one -- We'll I told them I spoke to my lawyer ( hehe friends dad) and he said they were legally obligated . . blah blah ... I had my W-2 or 4 or whatever the tax one is, the next week!

Good luck, I'm sure things will get better.

Im so sorry you are going through this. I wish I could help too!! Don't give up - finding a job takes time. I know it doesnt seem that way but you will find something soon. In the meantime, I wonder if you CAN move? Would it be too difficult to start elsewhere?

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time! I would suggest contacting your former employer and telling him should be continue to refuse your W-2, that you'll end up having to call the IRS on him (or whoever is the appropriate authorities would be). Have you even tried calling the IRS for a statement of earnings that year? They might be able to help you out.

As for being unable to find a job, have you tried looking in a neighboring town/city? Or even find a job in another city/state which might require moving. Easier said than done I know, which doesn't help. If you have any relatives that you like (as from your previous thread there seems to be issues within), try looking for jobs by them. Should you get an offer, see if the relatives will let you stay with them until you can get on your feet. Sometimes a potential employer will even interview you over the telephone.

I'm not sure if I helped any, but I hope I did some. I wish you the very best of luck with everything!

Originally Posted by cyw1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It would be helpful if I knew the following: What drew you and your husband to this area? And what kind of work are the two of you looking for?Hope these questions are not too personal.

It's okay, feel free to ask.
The reason we were drawn to this place was because we were looking to get directly out of town and move to somewhere quiet. We were also tired of having to pay an ungodly high rent, and we were also tired of dealing with harrasmet from the landlord.

As for work, we're both looking for anything. I've applied to so many places so many times that a majority of the people that run these places already know me by name. One lady saw me and simply told me to leave even though she has tons of openings for all kinds of positions.

Neither my husband or I have our degrees, although he's currently working towards his (and I'm trying to get funding for mine), so neither of us are looking to start at the very top.

As for looking for work, we've pretty much covered the entire town. We've applied for everything, including state jobs, retail, and food service.

Originally Posted by WhitneyF I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I wish there was something I could do to help. What's your former employer's complex? You need to threaten him or something. lol...I'm terrible

Thank you, I'm sure I'll be fine - it's just very depressing. And no, you're not terrible you're a sweetheart! *smiles*As for my former employer, he was (and still is) an ass. I don't know how this guy still has a job, because he doesn't do very well running a business. Heck, getting employed at Dillard's was like going back to high school, with all the gossiping and backstabbing going on there. This man put me in the worst area of the entire place - Homestore. This is the one area of the store where sales goals are definitely NOT going to be met. I guess he thought I looked like Martha Stewart... (Example: I was asked by a customer as to which method was best to properly care for a cast iron skillet. I also learned that there were such things as "dessert forks". How sad is that?)

But anyway, he's been threatened before. I even sneered at him a little bit when I left.

Originally Posted by Aquilah I'm so sorry you're having a hard time! I would suggest contacting your former employer and telling him should be continue to refuse your W-2, that you'll end up having to call the IRS on him (or whoever is the appropriate authorities would be). Have you even tried calling the IRS for a statement of earnings that year? They might be able to help you out.
As for being unable to find a job, have you tried looking in a neighboring town/city? Or even find a job in another city/state which might require moving. Easier said than done I know, which doesn't help. If you have any relatives that you like (as from your previous thread there seems to be issues within), try looking for jobs by them. Should you get an offer, see if the relatives will let you stay with them until you can get on your feet. Sometimes a potential employer will even interview you over the telephone.

I'm not sure if I helped any, but I hope I did some. I wish you the very best of luck with everything!

I've gotten a hold of the IRS, as well as the feds. We would probably move if we had the money, but it's not something we would be able to do at the moment.

I wouldn't even consider asking my father's side (the people I'm having trouble with), because I know they would rather tell me to go to hell rather than help me.
frown.gif
I don't want to impose on my parents, as they have fallen on hard times as well. I would probably ask my mom's side of the family, but they are the busiest bunch of people I've ever met, and they have families that they have to take care of and it would completely unfair of me to ask them.

I do think the information was very helpful, and I think you bought up some very valid points. It may take moving to a new town/state and turning over a new leaf - something I am completely open towards doing. When we do run into a little bit of money, that's probably what we might end up doing.

I've have my fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by Annia Aww, I am so sorry! I wish I could give you a big hug, even though that won't make it better. Hope things work out for you soon.
hugss.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to add.. that even though it hurt when they said that--just be glad you did not land that job. Can you imagine working with those evil people?

And shame on them. I think I would have walked back and said something. It's not like they were going to hire you, since they said cruel things... so why not give them a piece of your mind?

Hang in there, hun. Wish you luck! <3

I know the other girls will give you legal/job or money finding advice. Wish I had the info for you.

I am glad, it probably would have been nuts. I've definitely worked for worse people though - it still hurts when it happens though. I agree, I should have said something, but it didn't register at the time. I guess I was more than eager to get out. If I could go back, I probably would have said something.People have been very sweet and really helpful so far, and it's really good to have that sort of information on hand.

Things will hopefully work themselves out in time. Thank you *hugz back*

Originally Posted by Jessica81 Hey, I'm so sorry!!! So, move! Go somewhere you'll love to live and you'll find a job that is right for you.
I had a problem with an employer not sending me my tax info. My friends Dad (a lawyer) told me that was crap, they are legally obligated to send it. -- It was tax time, and they said they already sent it, but I didn't get it. -- they sent it to the wrong address, so they refused to send another one -- We'll I told them I spoke to my lawyer ( hehe friends dad) and he said they were legally obligated . . blah blah ... I had my W-2 or 4 or whatever the tax one is, the next week!

Good luck, I'm sure things will get better.

I would if I had the money to do so, I don't exactly have any green to throw down right now in order to do so. Hehe, must have been nice to have a lawyer friend in the family, lol!

It's amazing that people can be so vindictive/lazy to the point where they're willing to break the law so they won't have to do something.

I'm hoping things will look up soon...

The sooner the better I say.

Originally Posted by geebers Im so sorry you are going through this. I wish I could help too!! Don't give up - finding a job takes time. I know it doesnt seem that way but you will find something soon. In the meantime, I wonder if you CAN move? Would it be too difficult to start elsewhere? I would DEFINITELY move if I had the finances to do so. I've been scratching my head trying to think of ways to use some of the things that I do have to bring in an income.
kopfkratz.gif
Things will probably work themselves out in time though, and before I know it, it'll probably be all over.

Originally Posted by janetsbreeze i am so very sorry you are having such trouble finding work where you are. can i ask what sort of work you are looking for if that isn't too personal too? It doesn't matter, just as long as I can find someone who would be willing to hire me.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Are there any temporary services there? Apply with them, they usually find you jobs rather quickly and then you and the new company can decide if this is the place for you. Glad you didnt get that one job imagine working with nasty people like that who the heck do they think they are? Good luck, everything happens for a reason~~

so sorry you are having such a hard time, wish there was somthing I could do...

I'm rooting for you guys!

*HUG*

Sheesh! i feel really bad. i'm so sorry to hear this.

i'm sorry coz i know i can't be of much help,but all i can do is hope and wish for the best for you! i'm sure things will get better! take care dear. *hug*

Good Luck!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pla4u so sorry you are having such a hard time, wish there was somthing I could do...I'm rooting for you guys!

*HUG*

Aww, thank you! *Bear Hugz* Things will be fine. Sometimes you have to go through the tough stuff before you can get to the good stuff. It'll take time, but something will come up, I'm sure.*Bear Hugz*

I loves ya!

Originally Posted by Ann2325 Sheesh! i feel really bad. i'm so sorry to hear this.i'm sorry coz i know i can't be of much help,but all i can do is hope and wish for the best for you! i'm sure things will get better! take care dear. *hug*

Good Luck!

It's okay, things will turn out fine here pretty soon - just have to stick it out. *Hugz Back*

Yeah, don't worry, just keep trying, everything will work out fine for you in the end. I know, my mom and I have been through it. Lets just say we had to sleep in a clothes closet for $25/month for a couple of months when my mom left my dad.

Have you tried reporting your boss to the government about your forms? I would definitly try going to school and telling them about it. Just keep trying, things always work out no matter what. On the plus side you have your husband, at least you have an emotional support.

Latest posts

Back