Keratosis Pilaris?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. I have been trying to get rid of my Keratosis Pelaris that I've had ever since I've been born. It always gets worse in winter and it's driving me crazy right now!

Anyone else have the same problem, and does anyone know a treatment that might help me out?

Thanks!

it's also called "chicken skin."

I have it too, on my arms and legs... little white bumps (but not acne).

I try to exfoliate (using scrubs) & moisturize.

but unfortunately, I believe this is genetic, and you can try to lessen the appearance but you probably won't be able to get rid of it per se.

oh, ok. i just called it some type of dermatitis. yeah i have that too. if i exfoliate regularly and rinse in cold water it helps it, i also have it on my butt which i hate worse.

My son had i when he was little, they told me at the drs office that he would have it forever. It runs in the family on his fathers side and the family members who have have not gotten rid of it. BUT, not for my son. Sooo, after some research; I gave him Borage, Flax, and Fish oil blend at least 2 pill 2x a day. I also--poor child---after his bath used a med/fine file block the exfoliate the areas and then i would open one of the oil capsules and rub it in every night. We did that for around 6months. Now it has been over 5 years and not a bump. Is that considered a cure????

wow, i'll have to try that. do you get that all in pill form and at the drug store?

Wow! I guess you can definitely consider that a cure! That's pretty awesome!

I think I might have a little bit of that under my forearms.

Oh wow! I would say it's a cure if it hasn't pop up in 5 yrs!

I thought it was genetic and impossible to get rid of. I would have to do some reading on this. Thanks for sharing!

My mom used to have it when she was younger, and hers disappeared after I was born.

My sister does not have this at all, her skin is pale and smooth. :scared:

I wonder if I ever have kids it would go away? (but I don't want to pass this on either)

Unfortunately there are no super-effective treatments for KP (yes, I have it too). I found that it improved significantly with frequent exfoliation. Alpha and beta hydroxyacids are also thought to help. My next step will be to but the MD Skincare alpha beta daily peel for body and see how it works (I have been using the facial one on my face with good results).

I had it on my arms, this is caused by a build up of skin cells. The skin either needs to be exfoliated for moisterized, and even both.

This is good to know. So you got rid of it? I certainly don't moisturize enough. My arms have gotten better, but my thighs look awful. I would love to have nice smooth legs :/

What are these hydroxy acids and are they easy to find?

Do any of you also have problems with acne? Could this possibly mean that our faces also need help with exfoliation? I'm using a gentle exfoliator made for everyday use, but I don't use it everyday. I haven't made up my mind whether I think exfoliating the face is beneficial or irritating.

I heard about am lactin 12%. Id love to know if it works. I have those bumps on my stomach of all places!

I was told the same thing about my son, that he would have it forever and to just leave it alone or put hydrocortisone cream on it, of all things!!! I am going to try your method! And don't feel bad about your exfoliating technique--I've resorted to scratching them off of my son with my fingernail. The bumps are so dry and crusty, it doesn't even hurt him.

I would like to warn people of a product they shouldn't bother with--KP Duty from Derma Doctor. It's like $36 for a tube and it doesn't do anything. It makes the skin soft, but doesn't eliminate the bumps. I faithfully used it on my son for months. Nada!!!

One of my friends had this and her derm suggested Eucerin lotion, it is availible at drugstores.

Sorrry, i took so long to reply. I used get the capsules at local health food stores, but I just found it at walmart. I take one a day because they are good for your skin period. BUT, i know that extra oil can make some of us break out so i guess it is up to your system.

I did try Eucerin cream for him per the drs orders, but it only made them soft. Anyway, if this helps any of you than i am glad. My son certainly is glad to be rid of them, they never hurt, but even at that young age, he found them embarrassing--they did cover most of his little legs!!

Good LUCK

I have KP too. Its awful. Its quite common & although for many it improves with age (common in children) there is no 'cure' per se, but the condition usually can be controlled by exfoliating & keeping skin mositurized. There is a version of AMLactin cream sold at Costco but the name escapes me at the moment. I was thinking of trying DermaDr KP Duty but wondering if anything else out there less expensive to try. Mine has been just awful lately no matter what I do.

I love AmLactin lotion, but it smells very medicinal. It works on smooting and really hydrating the skin though, and when I'm really good about exfoliating and using the lotion, my bumpies on the back of my arms and hips start to go away. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Ultimately though, I want to try an actual lactic acid peel (mild one) and see if that works better.

I have tried home microderm machine that works fairly well but its time consuming. I'd love to try a peel someday & see if that helps. I am so flared right now & nothing seems to work as well. I so hate it on my arms (& elsewhere) in the summer when you want to go sleeveless.

Back