Applying Foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the best way to apply a foundation? Foundation brush, sponge or your fingers? What is your favorite applying method?

I've found a sponge works best for me..I've tried a foundation brush but found that no matter what I did,application was streaky so I ended up having to go over with a sponge anyway.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) What is the best way to apply a foundation? Foundation brush, sponge or your fingers? What is your favorite applying method?

I totally agree Ali. I apply the foundation with my fingertips and then blend with a foam sponge, the cheapie one that you can get at any drugstore. Originally Posted by allisong I've found a sponge works best for me..I've tried a foundation brush but found that no matter what I did,application was streaky so I ended up having to go over with a sponge anyway.

Yup..You get 50ct at Target for $1.99..Gotta love it..I spend the $$ on the makeup not the tools..Heck I've found that I prefer putting my eyeshadow on with my fingers now instead of an applicator..Makes a HUGE difference

Originally Posted by Tinydancer I totally agree Ali. I apply the foundation with my fingertips and then blend with a foam sponge, the cheapie one that you can get at any drugstore.

I use my fingers. I think the heat from my fingers help spread the foundation better. Just my personal preference
smile.gif

I used to apply foundation using a sponge (target got some great ones for cheap), but recently a MAC artist introduced me to their new foundation brush. I think its brush #130. Anyway, I seem to like to apply foundation better with that brush, because it blends well and it doesn't take up a lot of color like a sponge. It also gives a better coverage. The brush is a bit expensive though. But if you want to test things out, try out the brush to see which way you like better. I mean you can always bring it back if the brush doesn't work out for you. I still use a sponge sometimes when I want less coverage.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) What is the best way to apply a foundation? Foundation brush, sponge or your fingers? What is your favorite applying method?

Kind of depends on the type of foundation too. Liquid foundations spread better using a moistened sponge, a foundation brush works better with a stick foundation, & a well-made natural bristle brush works best with mineral powder foundations. Fingertips used to lightly tap colors in & to blend as a finish works or when moisturizer hasn't had time to absorb & you're creating more of a tinted moisturizer than a full coverage job. Also depends a little on whether you're using color to simply conceal some uneven skin tones, hide spots or undereye circles. A well-made taklon fiber concealer brush is excellent on the face & under eyes to pat color on the canvas. Use fingers to gently blend into the natural skin around the concealed area. Set with a light dusting of loose translucent powder using a large, soft brush.

A good reason to wash up before applying. Use White Oak Bark gel, a soft nail brush. I use Tea Tree Oil to prevent all tooth & gum issues. Excellent on zits, plantar warts & infections. May need to dilute or blend with other carrier if too strong. Useful as an anti-acne spray bec. it's anti-viral, anti-bacterial & anti-fungal.

Latest posts

Back