When to relax???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had highlights put in my hair about a month ago,is it safe to put a relaxer in my hair or should i wait longer?

what type of relaxer? if it's been a month yeah it should be alright depending on the shape that your hair is in

i agree with han. If your hair is breaking or if it doesnt look damaged, you should be fine

well if your hair is in good shape and you been conditioning well, it should be ok this past summer i perm and got highlights the same day which was ok but i didnt like the perm so for three weeks i deep condition and use a protein pack to get my hair in shape then i got a reverse perm and it is still healthy and i cant even tell i even perm it but i would go to a salon and let them do it i wouldnt try it at home on yourself but that's me im really cautious when it comes to my hair

i agree with the other ladies. if your hair is i good shape it should be fine to relax after a month.

Be careful! You should be okay doing it now... I used to relax my hair and wait two weeks before coloring. Eventually it got seriously damaged. I honestly (after my experience) don't recommend coloring and relaxing... Too many processes for your hair to go through. If you're going to do it, then wait a month between coloring and relaxing... Even if that means you have to put off a relaxer for 2-3 weeks.

I personally wouldn't do it because most higlights involve bleach and from my understanding, bleach and relaxers don't mix.

the bleach is still in your hair.. and bleach damages.. I'd advise going to a professional with experience for their advice before you have a go at it..

I say don't relax if you bleach. It's just not worth the risk. That kind of thing is for professionals. Even if you wait 3 months, your hair is still bleached which makes it weak, porous, and fragile. That's why I stopped relaxing. I realized I couldn't do both anymore. For a long time I thought everything was fine but in reality my hair was getting fried. I put so much silicone and oils in it, I was able to cover up the damage. Now I color it with a high-lift brown by L'oreal every 6 weeks (mainly to get rid of gray) and I no longer chemically relax. I blow-dry and use a flat iron to get it smooth. My hair is much less traumatized.

Just my opinion/experience! :smile:

Oooops, And I just realized I need to change my signature, because it says I have chemically relaxed hair!!! LOL

Hi I got very damaged hair about a month ago cause I bleached my hair and then got a bodywave about 6 months later. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Fried my hair:( I do not suggest to do anything with chemicals to your hair if you have any type of bleach in your hair. I was told my several hair stylist if you bleach don't perm or relax or if you perm or relax don't bleach. Just a FYI! Good Luck! Now I am just after healthy hair again so I am growing all the bleached hair out. Eventually I will just color to cover grey!

Back