Darker ladies (GGG's & DDD's) how are you doing with the MMU?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been sifting through some MMU sites and I notice that only a few carry darker color choices (MilanMinerals, Alima etc). I really want to try MMU (I'm so tired of liquid foundations) but I'm kind of "eh" on the situation. I've a hard enough time finding foundation offline. Anyway who have you all ordered from? How hard of a time did you have finding a match? What shade do you wear? Waiting anxiously....:brsh:

The best I've found so far have been Monave and Alima. I've really liked the samples I've received from them. You might also want to check out ada cosmetics. HTH.

Thank you for replying! I guess no one else has experimented much...guess I have to be the guinea pig :lol:

Monave Minerals has specific colors designed for Latin and African skin types. They have a huge color range and I love their mmu. Not sure about any of the other companies though.

I love Milan Minerals, since their focus is mineral makeup for women of color. They sell foundations, shadows, blushes and pigments. Foundation colors start in the medium range (light skinned AAs, Southeast Asian, Latina) and go from there. Candace (the owner) is very customer-service oriented, and you can purchase samples for $2.00. They ship fast and you can call if you want some additional assistance. I perused the site and settled on 3 or 4 colors, ordered them and found my perfect match. One of the colors was too light, but was perfect for my mom, and one color was too dark, but a match for my friend Lisa. It's so nice to find colors for darker skin tones that don't make you look ashy. The coverage is also buildable, so if you need more coverage, you can add it without it looking all cakey. If you only need minimal coverage, a $20 foundation could last you 3-4 months. A little goes a long way.

I joined her makeup club the day after my birthday, and she sent me a gift, a 3-stack pigment set! How cool is free makeup? Check 'em out.

Hope this helps....she's got a customer for life in me!!!!

I started out with everyday minerals, and I've been mixing two shades for a proper match (Medium Tan & Tan), though Medium Tan is just right in the Intensive formula. I feel like EDM probably isn't warm enough for me, but I'm loathe to figure better foundation colors out, even with inexpensive samples. I end up dusting bronzer around the perimeter of my face to warm it up. I really want to try Milan Minerals after having seen Me220's before and after, but no job...

I totally, totally agree on Monave. The brand is made to cater more to women of color (although of course they also have great shades for pale-skinned women).

I started with BE, with their darkest colour, but I think they even have darker colours now, but otherwise, there is a brand called Young Bloodz that have colours fit for more darker skin...

I recently ordered a sample of Milan Minerals' "Do You #4" pigments in Plaything, and it's very similar to MAC's Club eyeshadow (my fave - brick-reddish brown with turquoise-green shimmer). It matched great with MAC Spanish Fly lipstick. I used to be a "MAC ho" when I could afford it (drove to Toronto and took advantage of the currency exchange rates in US favor back in the day), but at $7.50 for a 5gm size, I've found a great alternative in Milan. I mixed a tiny bit of the Plaything with a chocolate raspberry lipcolor I have, and it was very Spanish Fly-like. I'm so jazzed about it!!!!

Even if you're happy with your current MMU foundation, you should check out some of the cool shadows and pigments Milan offers too, especially if your budget is limited. My free stacker set got me started - I swear I want one of every color LOL.

I've worn minerals for many years and would have to say that Milan Minerals would be my first choice and Monave the second. Candace--Milan Minerals is a MUT member and her company has a very wide African heritage based foundation family. The colors go from pale light to expresso dark. The important thing is the undertones are correct. You will not pick what appears to be a dark brown foundation and when applied come up grey/ashen because it is pink based. Milans other mineral product colors are like choosing from a box of Crayola Crayons, the selection is endless! Monave is OK but many Sistahs have to custom mix. Their texture is a little heavier, and it's a good product. PM me. By the way, EDM foundations are pink based. I sampled all of their darker tones and they appeard ashen. Customer service tried to get a match, but could not. My skintone is yellow/red based, MAC NC7/8. I also like Pure Luxe shadows, they have a large color selection.

TNK G00DNESS 4 THiS THREAD! iM DEFF G0iN 2 GiVE MilAN AND AliMA A CHANCE N0W! i might also try monave and ocean mist.

I haven't tried Milan but I can say that Monave is great so is Lumiere for GGG which is what I am. Alima was no match for me at all.

GGG is Gorgeous Golden Goddess. DDD is (forget the first word but the other 2 are Dark Diva).

I'm Japanese and Polynesian and and GGG. I recently with the help of a new friend who is a sweetie, Ice Cookies, made my own foundation, shadows, and blushes. Sunday I went to her house and we made some all over face colors too. She also gave me a lifetime supply of nighttime mineral treatment that she had made and it is way better than Rare minerals. I know cause I have 1/2 jar of Rare minerals and her stuff cleared up acne on myself and my younger sister in 1 shot.

Anyway, until we tweaked the color on my foundation that I had made before actually meeting her I was mixing 2 and 3 shades to get a perfect match and having to re-buy for summers.

What we did on Sunday was make up 2 big batches of a winter color and a summer color. I had already made one but the color was a little off. Now it's perfect.

If you can't find 1 color that's perfect for you, I would suggest that you make your own.

tnk 4 da reply! wow..u can make your own minerals now? that sounds pretty cool! i guess im a DDD and a GGG l0l because im dark but have strong yellow undertones.

Latest posts

Back