Wearing glasses/ special ocassions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting married soon and have a problem. I wear glasses all the time and I have never tried contacts because the doctor has told me my eyes are too dry. I would really prefer not to wear them on the big day. I have thougt about just not wearing them, but I am not sure if I will be able to see well enough. I also though that I might get contacts and wear them just for that day, I figure if I can get 4 hours out of them, it would be ok. Does anybody with dry eyes have any advice on contacts? Also, has anybody wiith glasses gone through the same situation of not wanting to wear them for a day?

I wear glasses most of the time and I like to wear contacts at special occasions so I know what you mean! I would love to wear contacts all the time but they start to irritate my eyes after 6-8 hours.

If you do decide to give them a go it would be worth it to go to the optician a while before the wedding. It can take a while to get used to wearing them and then you should be used to them before the wedding :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Have a great wedding day

Hi, you should definately make an appointment with the optician - the contact lenses get better and better all the time, and I'm sure you can now get some very gentle ones especially for very dry/sensitive eyes. Sass's idea to give yourself plenty of time to get used to them is a good one as they are a bit fiddly!

If contact lenses end up being a total no go, you could treat yourself to some fancy frames... I just got new glasses a few weeks ago, and there were some gorgeous pairs with gold or silver frames with little diamantes on, etc - they were very glam and definately designed for special occasions!

Good luck for your big day!

I have dry eyes. I was wearing contacts for awhile, but stopped wearing them because it took me like 20 minutes to get them in every morning. I guess I have issues. lol.

The thing that I did to help my dry eyes when I was wearing contacts was to be sure to have a small bottle of eye drops with me to use regularly as soon as my contacts started bothering me. HTH!

Congrats on getting married! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

a visit to your optician is necessary. he'll show you how to put contacts on your eyes, it's simple but it takes time to get used to it. you can also ask him for the best contacts for this special day.

also, buy some physiological saline, it generally comes in small packs, and if you have any dust in it, put some drops in your eye (you can also wash your contacts with it ^^). don't forget to put some drops in your eyes before putting on the contacts.

congrats for your wedding !

I used to wear glasses, and eventually they became cheaper than glasses. I prefer my contacts over my glasses, but I do have days I'm too lazy and wish I had glasses that were current for my Rx. I don't see why you can't have an eye exam and get disposable contacts. Then you have them to wear whenever you see fit until they're gone.

Thanks for the help everybody. I am going to make an appointment as soon as I can!!!

SteroXGirl,

What you described is exactly what happened to me when I tired contacts in the doctors office a few years back. It took me forever to get them in and they hurt like hell in about five minutes. Are you wearing glasses now or did you find another way out?

I've been using contacts since the 3rd grade and I have dry eyes sometimes. When this happens I use eye drops. Make sure to buy the ones specially for contacts though.

I used to wear contacts, but had to quit due to dry eyes -- my eye doctor had me try every kind of contact lens and solution for dry eyes that was on the market at the time, and nothing helped -- no matter what I tried, my contacts always HURT (not just uncomfortable, but actually hurt) after 5-10 minutes! So I gave up and switched to glasses.

I got married after I'd been wearing glasses for about 4 years, and I wore my glasses on my wedding day! I was fine with it -- since I've worn glasses every day for so long (I even met my husband after I started wearing glasses), that's just how everyone knew me, and glasses were just a part of my look, no different than hair color or something.... For my wedding, yes I did want to look nice (nice hair, mu, etc.) but I also wanted to look like ME, and that meant wearing my glasses!

I also wore glasses for two other reasons -- 1. so I could actually see my groom as I came down the aisle :inlove: and 2. because I didn't want to give into the stereotype that you can't wear glasses and be beautiful! When I was planning my wedding, I got so mad at people on wedding planning message boards that made comments like, "Oh, I could never wear my glasses at my wedding, I want to look beautiful for the big day!" Who says you can't be beautiful in glasses? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> OK, getting off my soapbox now :soap: :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

girl_geek,

Thanks for the soap box speech :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Its funny, the same thing basically happened to me at some wedding boards. Everybody was saying I wear glasses all the time but I wanna look good on my wedding day. Well thats good for you , but I want to look good too, but I might have to wear glasses lol!! I guess it made me a little self concious.

I think its awesome that you where able to switch to glasses without letting it get you down, that would have been tough for alot of people especially since you where used to not wearing them. And its even more awesome that you wore them at your wedding!!!!

The problem is my percription is just on the border line for where I think I would be ok to not wear them, i am like -2.75 -2.5. I'm not sure when most people start putting their glasses on first thing in the morning and take them off only to shower and sleep. I think I started doing it when I hit -2 -2. One thing that pisses me off is how my eyes keep getting worse and worse. I think in a few years it'll be really tough to put on makep :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> How bad are your eyes, I am curious as to whether you thought about not wearing them ever or if you where just too blind.

I have decided to give contacts a shot because I've always kinda wanted them, and wear my glasses if it doesn'e work out.

Well, I am a little overdue for my annual eye exam, but I think at my last checkup they were -2.5 and -3.0. When I got married, I think they were both somewhere between -2.0 and -2.5, I don't remember exactly. My vision is good enough that I won't run into things without my glasses, and I can still put on makeup if I lean close to the mirror, but I can't recognize people until they get very close. And I wanted to see my groom as soon as the sanctuary door opened in front of me! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (Not that I could see him through the standing people, but you know what I mean....) I also wanted to recognize people at the reception BEFORE I walked up to them ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The last year or so, I have gotten to the point where I wear my glasses practically the whole time I am awake...

And if it makes you feel any better, it wasn't *that* easy to adjust to glasses at first, I kind of glossed over that in my first post ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I had gotten used to my looks without glasses (I did have glasses in jr. high / high school, but had contacts for late high school and early college) so I was sad to go back to glasses. I do think my face looks a little wider with glasses (or maybe I just can't figure out what frames look best?), and I also don't like how wearing glasses fits with the computer geek stereotype -- I am a software engineer by trade (and majored in Computer Science), and I do have my geeky qualities, but I never wanted to LOOK like a geek!

But after wearing glasses for a few years and realizing that that was my only option, I just adjusted to it and got used to it. And that's when I started getting mad about people making comments about how you can't be beautiful in glasses. Sometimes society's definition of beauty annoys me! (My other soapbox beauty issue is how society thinks you have to have big boobs to be beautiful -- I have tiny boobs but could never get implants or wear a heavily padded bra to fit society's definition of beauty, and my hubby loves me just the way I am! Why can't we accept more types of people as beautiful? But that is a topic for another thread ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I wear glasses too, but my eyesight is not so bad that I'm totally blind without them. When I got married 7.5 years ago, I just didn't wear mine. Back then, I used to only wear them at home, while driving or at the movies anyway. Now my vision has deteriorated somewhat more, so I wear them all the time (and I was dismayed at my last appointment to be told I was ready for bifocals....ugh! They're not so bad, but I still feel like an old lady sometimes wearing them!)

I totally understand about not wearing them for your wedding. My glasses are a part of me most of the time and I don't mind wearing them; but a wedding is a different story - it's a romantic day and eyeglasses just don't seem to fit most people's romantic vision (pardon the pun). But you can change the image of what a beautiful bride is, if you choose; or if you would feel better trying contacts, I urge you to see your optometrist sooner rather than later and investigate that.

Best of luck on your impending nuptuals!

I forgot to mention, if you do end up wearing glasses, make sure you get anti-glare lenses! You know how regular lenses always leave white glares in pictures so you can't see your eyes? Well, my anti-glare lenses (which I got especially for the wedding) did not have a spec of glare on any picture -- you could see my eyes just as well as if I hadn't worn glasses! Now I always get anti-glare lenses, they look so much nicer! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh have a wonderful, wonderful wedding!! No matter what you choose. I think Girl Geek brings up an excellent point and shares some great wisdom about her choice to wear her glasses. And I'll bet she looked beautiful just because she felt more comfortable and her self..!!!!

Just make sure that you can actually see, girlfriend!! LOL!!!

I know that sounds silly, but,

I say this because one of my G/f's went the contact lens route and danged near killed herself bumping into stuff and getting bruised the whole time. She later confessed she couldn't even see her flowers in her hands. It was messed up, and she ended up putting her glasses on anyway..after her mom made her because..she fell down and ripped her wedding dress...so, yeah, just make sure you can see.. :glasses:

Congratulations!!

Thanks for all the good advice everybody :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I went to the doctor last week and I've decided that I am just gonna wear my glasses since contacts really hurt when I tried them. All I have to do now is find a sexy pair :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am such a scaredy (sp?) cat when it comes to putting in contacts. Just the thought of putting something on my eye...oh no!

Anyway, there are definitley days I hate wearing them.

When I take pictures of myself, most of the time I take them off.

I think I look pretty cute with my glasses on. They definitley make me look "studious" but I think I look better with my glasses off.

Guys tells me I'm cute with them so...I guess I don't look SO bad with them on.

Anyway, glasses are not all bad. I like standing out with my glasses.

Oh yeah, plus you can get anti-glare lenses. I don't think I have them...unless my digital camera is just way too close to my face but...whatever. I don't like taking too many chances.

I hope you find a sexy pair. =]

"Well, I am a little overdue for my annual eye exam, but I think at my last checkup they were -2.5 and -3.0."

girl_geek,

How often do you go to eye exams? I had not gone since 03 and when I went back I found out that my eyes where actually better by a little bit :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> yay!!!!! I think this was the first time they actually got better instead of worse. I was also shocked at how much better I could see with a current prescription. Maybe you are one of those people that had a constant prescription over long periods of time but if you are like me and normally have your eyes get worse every year ( :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you should probably go soon. I think I put it off for so long since its pretty depressing to have to get a stronger prescription every year, I'm not sure if this is happening to you but believe me it sucks. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and actually improve!!

Elisabeth,

Thanks for the story about your friend. Thats pretty much the reason I gonna go to my wedding with 4 eyes!!

A few people have mentioned anti-glare. I have never had a pair of those so I think I am gonna try them out. Also, has anybody ever had the kind that turn into sunglasses outside? I am thinking about trying those out since clip on sunglasses are so funny looking.

I try to go to the eye dr. once a year, but I haven't been in 1.5 yrs. Normally my prescription gets just a little worse each year, like 0.25, I think there's only been one year where my prescription stayed the same. I've probably decreased another 0.25 or so this year, since I recently noticed that the PowerPoint slides at church aren't quite as crystal clear as they used to be ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've also heard it's common for your eyesight to decrease every year until your 30's or so, and I am 25 now. I've heard that you can't have the laser eye surgery until you go at least 18 months without changing your prescription, and for a lot of people that doesn't happen til their 30's. I'm still not sure if I would actually get the surgery, I don't think it's been around long enough to study the really long term effects, since I am still young...

As for the transitions lenses (the kind that turn to sunglasses), I would not recommend them -- all the pairs I've seen still keep a noticeable yellow tint indoors, which I think looks pretty bad. I'd either get clip-on sunglasses, or get a second pair of prescription sunglasses. I have a second pair of sunglasses, but I used my old glasses frames for them to save a little money! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back