Black/smokey tutorial (my first one!! please help with photos)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey girls!! Well some people in the other thread said that they had a ton of problems using black e/s.. So I decided to give this totorial thing a shot and share how I do it..

My only problem was that it seems that my picture quality doesn't turn out really good... Can't really see the details of my shadow like in some other tutorials that I've seen.. <aybe cause I did this in my bathroom as opposed to taking pics in the daylight?? Can anybody help me with this?? How do you take your tutorial pics??

Anyway, on to the tutorial!!!

Ingredients:

- Matte, neutral e/s: I used the Dior Incognito, the middle tone, but you can use just about any neutral, matte color that matches your skin tone

P40661_hero.jpg

- Black e/s: I used MAC Black Tied.

- Light lip color: I used MAC Blankety, it's about the same color as my skin tone

- Light pink gloss: I used MAC Cultured lip glass

- Black eyeliner, Mascara, Blus, Makeup brushes

STEPS:

1. The basic canvas: the usual preps including foundation and a bit of mascara. Then apply the pale matte e/s all over the lid.

2. Apply black e/s in the outer crease of the eyes using a small crease makeup brush, and blend towards the inner corner along the lash line. Blend it along the crease line also. Follow your natural crease line... Your eyes will look kinda small after this but don't panick yet..

2.1. When you're done remove the crap that fell on your cheeks with a big brush.. Black e/s is very messy, so watch out for that, apply loose powder under the eyes during application if you have to.

3. Now add more black e/s to the outer crease and blend it inwards again.. Keep blending until the look is smoky enough for your liking. The darker the better. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

4. Now again with the small, stiff crease brush apply the black e/s to the lower lids.. This step is very important. Depending on your eye shape, you should balance the amount of e/s on the upper and lower lid. Notice how small the eyes looked in picture #2? The shadow on the lower lid makes all the difference. The more shadow you've applied to your upper lid, the more you should apply to the lower lid to balance it. So if you know you're gonna be blending it up and outwards on the upper lid, you should also blend it downwards a great deal on the lower lid.

5. Now dip the brush in the black e/s again and put some more in the crease, this time blending it outwards.

5.1. With my eye shape I tend to blend it up and in a diagonal direction from my inner crease. If you like you might wanna attempt a V or something, depending on what you're used to and what suits you.

6. This is optional, here I dipped the brush in water, and applied even more black e/s to the crease to make it really black.

7. Apply liner and mascara. Don't forget to line inside the eye, along the water line.

8. Apply pale lipstick (MAC Blankety) and light pink lipgloss (MAC Cultured lip glass). Pale lips are really important when your eyes are this dark, it balances the face and brings more focus on the eyes.

9. A little blush, and ta-daa :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Nadia/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Nadia/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Thanks for doing this! Great tutorial, just keep practicing taking pics.

Well, the quality of your pics could be a lot of things. It could be your camera or the flash or the the interior light conflicting with your camera flash. I've found the best way for me to take my makeup pics is to use the interior light only and turn the flash off. The flash washes out your makeup so the pics just don't turn out well.

I think your tut is great though and you have beautiful eyes!

Hee hee thank yous :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And I didn't use a flash for these pics.. Still they don't show up as clear as some peoples'.... I'm thinking maybe I need to do them in daylight or something..

u look great! thanx for doing the tuturial! what kind of camera are u using? Do u have a macro button on it (little pic of flower) It realli helps w/taking close-up pics :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmm the usual light bulbs?? There's a row of 4 above my mirror..

I have the Sony cyber-shot one.. I think there should be a macro button.. I just have to find it haha

It's a good idea, thanks!!

great job.... your eyes turned out really pretty... u also look beautiful in your first picture with no makeup...

The quality of the pics aren't as bad as you said they were. Thanks for making simple :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Im going to try it soon. Hopefully my eyes look as gorgeous as yours!

Looks great! My pics don't come out too well most times either. I stand in the same spot, with the same lighting and the same camera settings, and they still come out differently! I've figured out where and when I need to do a tutorial, but I haven't done one lately. Awesome tutorial!

Back