Canon Digital Xt Camera....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have this camera - I'm looking to buy a new digital (upgrade from my Kodak) and was wondering if anyone had any rants/raves on it.

Thanks

I don't have an Xt, but have an Ixus, and I love it so much, that I have it with me every where I go. Canon is best known taking great pictures...

I don't have that specific camera, but i have a canon also and it's WONDERFUL! Takes great pictures and has awesome lenses; last year me and my sister travelled to usa and canada and took all our photos with it, and when we printed it, they didn't look like they were taken with a digi camera.

Get Canon if you plan to take people pics.

Get Nikon if you love taking natures pic.

For digital cameras, there's Canon first and everything else is a distant second.

I have the 5.0 megapixel Canon SD ... great camera!

the Xt is a great camera... get an extra flash (580EX or 430EX) and 50mm f1.8 (the cheapest lens canon has to offer while having razor sharp optics)... that should be the basic gear you need to start off before getting into more speciffic fields... such as the 1 series for sports events or the 30D (2 digit models) when u need more features... as for lens... stick with your kit lens and the 50mm until u figure out u need dedicated macro, more range or going WIDE ... anyway there's endless possibilities with a DSLR with interchangable lens.. its a different whole league than the compact and flimsy digital cameras... thus all the accesories added together they might cost as much as a small car

i just recently got the canon powershot a540... it takes the most perfect pictures and awesome video was under 200 on sale @ target! its got macro, kid scene which comea in handy because ihave a 1 & 3 yr old! good luck on finding a camera

Thank you - I was wondering about the different lenses/flashes. I want to be able to do low light shooting & thought I would need a different flash. I was going to buy a basic 'getting started' photography book - since I'm fairly new at this and don't know allot about, well....anything other than 'point & shoot'. Do you have any great recs thats simple to understand for the beg. (like myself)?

It looks like my camera is due to arrive in my home today - man that was fast - I just ordered in Thurs. I hope Fed Ex dosen't change my delivery date (I know they have been known to do that), but, it says it is to be delivered today. **crosses fingers**

Thanks again everyone - I will post some pics, etc...once I receive it and figure it out - lol.

:smile: 580EX is currently the top of the line flash canon make... a good picture is about good picture and good light control.. a swivel head flash like the 580Ex and the 430EX let u have more flexibility on how the light is going to hit your subject. these hot shoe flash should be a good start before getting in more serious light systems such as studio flash or multiple flash systems. i highly recommend the 580EX as it is a commander unit (that means you can use it to command other canon speedlites, it allow for future upgrades and more power)

as for lens... if u plan to go into low light photography(dark alley, wildlife) ... the XT is not very well equipped for that... you should get something like the leica M8 or the higher-end canon cameras like the 30D or the 1DsMkII... this is because the XT has a smaller view finder and a less sophisticated autofocus system... the lens will "hunt" in the dark and you might just lose those special moments and manual focusing with a XT is almost impossible with the tiny view finder. the 50mm f1.8 is considered a fast lens (big aperture) so its a good start for a newbie... canon offer alot of great lenses and alot whole lot of the crappy ones too... the " L" lens (lens with red rings) , USM (ultrasonicmotor,lens with gold ring) lens , the IS (image stabilizer) lens. L lens or "luxury" lens are the best lens canon has to offer thus most very fast lens (great low light performance) are L lens and some of the L lens are weather sealed and dust proof, USM lens are autofocus lens that have fast, silent and accurate autofocus motor, the good USM lens use ring USM motor drive while the micro USM motor is just crap, the IS lens are lens with sophisticated electronics that allow you to shoot with lower shutterspeeds which otherwise cause motion blurs with a non-IS lens.

as for books, u dont really need any of them... just read up the tutorials and booklets that came along with your camera. my advice, join a photography club at your community and have fun with trial and error.

a few more tips. get an extra hard drive dedicated to store your photos... 10Mp files are quite big

get enough memory cards for your camera (i shoot in RAW and have multiple 2GB cards) usually one 4GB card is enough for a casual shooter.

always shoot in best quality unless u ran out of space.

get a good camera bag, lowepro provide best protection at affordable prices, crumpler and domke and camera bags that dont really look like camera bags which is good when travelling light and low profile.

get camera equipment maintainence tools, bulb blowers (get them from pharmacies instead from a photo store), lens tissue like the ones from zeiss, and micro fibre cloths (the type of cloth you use it to wipe your glasses)

if u have further questions, feel free to PM me

Wow....thanks for the great info. I'm only looking to do some theater low light settings - mainly when my little boy does school plays, etc....

I will def. pm you if I have any other ?'s, once I receive the camera - I'll prob. have a bunch - lol.

Thanks again....

The digital camera I am getting is a Fujifilm Z3, it is said to be really good in low light.

One of the draw-backs is that it doesn't have a manual control for changing the settings. You have to go through the menu to set the setting you want..such as...low light, action, etc.

Another is that you have to have it sitting on a dock...that has to be plugged in...whenever transferring your pics from camera to computer

Besides that, it's gotten rave reviews.

I have heard Canon makes great digital cameras.

I just wanted the Z3 because of it's style, it has good reviews, and....the one I'm getting is pink.

Good luck! Digital cameras are a huge investment for most people.

Latest posts

Back