Do body lotions expire?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have all these body lotions that I purchased yrs ago and never finished using. They all still smell like they did and look fine when poured. My question is, are they safe to use? I see no experiation date on 'em so I'm a little confused here. Btw, they're Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works.

Good question! They in fact do expire, and homemade lotions don't tend to last as long as commercial lotions. If it's more than 1-2 years old, I'd toss it to be safe...

if the product changes smell or you notice separation of the ingredients you should probably toss it out!

on most products they have a little icon (a little jar) with the time you should keep it for written inside. My mascara has it on the bottom i dunno about my other stuff though

i always go by what it looks like. if there is a change in color, smell, or consistency-

then by all means toss it in the garbage

moisturizers with spf usually remain good for only a year or two- thats what

i read. but if you see that a product is turning rancid, then definitly toss it

hope this helps

Hmmm, see that makes it hard for me because I have some lotions that are over like 3 yrs old and they still look and smell good!! Except for one that I threw out. Now Idk if I should throw out the ones that look perfect just because it's a couple yrs old. What would you guys do? This is expensive stuff, ya know?

I think that it if smells good and the consistency is still the same, then I would think that it is ok.

I would toss it out after 1-2 years. I am sure the chemical makeup of it alters after a while.

i think it smells good, feels good, looks good, then keep it. regardless of how old it is. i mean heck, if all of the preceding things are good, AND it doens't give you itchy rashy skin, then WHY toss it. i know what an investment such a collection of lotions can be!!!

Here's something gross. We have a kind of wierd system of storing products in my house, mainly that we never use bathroom cabinets, so anything that's put in there never really leaves. There's a body lotion from Limited Too that I must have gotten 9 or 10 years ago, and it's still there. Pretty gross. Yeah I guess I could throw it out, but it's doing fine sitting there in its mirrored graveyard, and it's not like anyone looks in there anyway. I wonder if eventually it'll start eating through the plastic. I guess the moral of the story is that it's not a good idea to use lotions after 10 years.

If it was me, and the product still looked and smelled fine, I'd keep it. Maybe put a little on the inside of your arm and leave it for 24 hours to test if you really want to be safe. But if it's not giving you any irritations and it hasn't seperated or started to smell funky, then I personally wouldn't worry.

Off the subject and on to MaMa Lotion, will be using it tonite after reading your comments and checking out the before & after pictures

thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back