The Natural Curly Hair Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(I'm new and I'm sorry if this has already been posted) After 18 years (although I only started to notice my hair when I turned six), I am making peace with my natural curls. Enough trying to flat iron and straighten! I wondered how many Makeuptalk.com members also have natural curls. What are some of products methods you have used on your curls?

I have naturally curly hair, although I get it relaxed. When it was in its natural state the last time, I used Marc Anthony products, and they worked really well for me. And since I have frizzy, unmanageable hair, HealthySexyHair works awesome for shampoo, conditioner and a leave-in :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

another one w/ natural curls here ... when Jennifer Aniston first hit tv and we all did our hair like hers I got her haircut and spent a couple of years straightening my hair for over an hour every day. I look back at the pics and think, wow that looked great but OMG i'll never get involved in spending that much time on my hair again, now I'm all for just letting it do what it wants.

I used to use AG details for a chunky look, but they jacked up the price way too much for me, right now I use:

Joico K-pac reconstructor protein pack shampoo

pantene pro v conditioner

AG liquid effects

Let air dry for about 15 min, then diffuse dry

Then Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum

many ladies on this site are going natural so you should be able to find a great selection of products. personally i love ouidad products to help manage my curly, kinky hair. check out this link.

For Luxurious, Sexy Curls without the Frizz: Ouidad--The Curl Experts

if you need something that's not so pricey you might want to try john frieda products. secret weapon has been one of my hg products as well. good luck!

I'm so glad curly hair has gone back into style! The 90's were boring with everyone straightening.

I've never liked John Frieda products. His stuff has never worked for me. Thanks for the product advice!

hi sunset:wavey: its nice to meet :shakehands:

welcome to mut. i too have naturally curly hair.

i've used the following brands:

shampoos/and conditioners- pantene,l'oreal, and nexxus

gels/mousses/leave in conditioners- La looks, dep, l'oreal studio line, nexxus

styling gel, and garnier fructis style pure fix gel

there r others too, but can't recalll at the moment. basically, i try to look for

products specifically for curly hair. its really trial and error.

if i am trying a product out for the first time, i usually buy it at a harmons store.

the one near my home has a really good return policy. i can return opened and

partly used products and get a full refund as long as i have my receipt.

Personally, I use a leave in moisturizer so that I can comb my hair without ripping it out by the roots - lol. I've never straightened my hair even as a kid. I just didn't see the point. Now, my daughter, on the other hand, does it all with no seeming logic - lol. I guess it depends how she's feeling as to whether she wears her straight or natural.

Alfred

i either use the marc anthony products for my curls, ( id dthat when my hair was longer)

but since i cut it shorter i have started using got to b curlvacious

Welcome to the "au natural side"!

Have you checked out naturallycurly.com? It's a great site with tons of info on curly hair!

I use the following products:

Aussie 3 min miracle

Curly Hair Solutions: Curl Keeper

AG: Recoil

Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee

Boots Curl Creme (pink)

Iso Daily Styling gel

Pantene Curl Scrunching spray

funny thing, my hair is naturally wavey only when i cut my hair in layers, but after a few days it droops and turns semi straight. i got lots of hair and its very thick, so its a bit of a pain to manage. i only straightened hair twice, properly and i dont like it. to much work!

i got my hair cut nicely (finally!) and she told me to go wavey and forget about straight hair and she used a difuser (sp?) with her hair dryer and my hair turned extra curly/wavey and i love it!

fiance was a bit shocked when i came home with a bit more curly hair and the first thing he said was: "didnt they brush your hair before you left?". LOL! typical ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i have naturally curly hair, i still cant seem to let go of the straight thing.

but my sister has, so i'll ask her when she shows up tomorrow what she uses to deal with her curly hair.

Another natural curly hair. I am currently using Suave Professionals Healthy Curls Shampoo and Conditioner.

There are a few tips I have to share:

1) Get the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey

2) Check out NaturallyCurly.com -- Where Curls Come to Life

3) Give up the brush. Only comb in the shower with a wide tooth comb coated with conditioner.

4) If you want to blow dry, get a diffuser dryer. It will not blow the curls around.

Good luck.

Has anyone tryed Redken for Curly Hair (Fresh Curls). I use redken All Soft Shampoo and Smooth Down conditioner but i also use color extend...should i used just one shampoo and conditioner or does it matter if you mix and match? I have naturally curly hair too but can't find any way to tame my hair, except too straighten it but i dont always have the time for that. So i want to be proud of my curls and have them lookin good.

Sauve is what I currently use as well. Thanks for the website! Here are some of my personal tips:

1) Gently wash curly hair. Do not apply shampoo directly to the ends of your hair (hair is driest at the ends, making it fragile. Slipt end result in frizz!). Try to keep hair washing to once a week. If you need to cleanse your hair inbetween rinse your hair with water, and condition.

2) Never towel dry curly hair, it causes static, and frizz! Instead, squeeze out the excess water, and let your hair dry naturally.

3) I find my hair is smoother if I apply a little leave-in conditioner while my hair is drying.

4) A lot of anti-frizz serums (including John Fredia) suggest blow drying your hair smooth. Unless you have a professional quailty hair dryer with a diffuser, AVOID those products. Using a regular blow dryer with your anti-frizz serum, will actually make your hair much worse (I know from personal experince)!

5) My hair (and I believe most peoples) often horribly frizzy in the morning, after I have spent hours laying on it. To reduce pillow friction loosely braid your hair and/or put it in a bun.

Sorry I can't help, since I have never tried Redken's products. I can't see why you cannot mix products, I often mix conditioners. You could go to the manufactures website and write to them to be completely sure.

I love Curl Keeper! I wash my hair once every 4 days. The day I wash it, I put in the gel I wish to use that day, and let it dry naturally. Then the next day when I awake, I put in the Curl Keeper. It makes beautiful curls. Then if later in the day or the next day my hair becomes frizzy, I only need to spray my hair with water, as the Curl Keeper will continually reactivate itself with water. How cool is that. I have to order some more today.

I have wavy/curly (curl type 2a/b) hair. This is what I do, and maybe this will help someone who has hair like mine. I tend not to use any hair products with ingredients ending in ‘cone, or cyclopentasiloxane.

When I am done with my shower and my hair is dripping wet, I flip it upside down and it gets its first scrunching. After I step out of the shower and towel off, I may (very minimally) towel dry my hair in a scrunching fashion. At that point, I apply either GF curl shaping spray gel or Sebastian potion 9 (neither weigh my fine hair down). I let it air dry from this point on.

Every once in a while, I will use a GF hair conditioning cream (I don’t see it pictured on the GF website anymore, so maybe it has been discontinued…?) that has amodimethicone in it. When I choose to use this, I try to leave my hair wetter yet before applying this.

I didn't know curly hair was back in style... especially since every hair stylist I ever went to recommends I straighten it.... I get so frustrated when they say that because I know I am in for a bad haircut by someone who couldn't possibly understand curly hair!

... sorry for the rant... I just got my hair cut and it's the worst in a long time

I love neutrogena triple moisture shampoo and conditioner... I condition every day and shampoo a couple times a week... I go back and forth between creams and gels. The cream I like the best is Wired by Rusk but it can be too heavy at times. Lately I've been doing gels. A lot of them really dry my hair out but two that don't are Biolage and Chi. I think Chi works the best for me. I did have luck in the past with the green stuff by Bed Head too. I find the less I mess with my hair, the better it looks so I try to let it air dry completely and then fluffng gently to break up the curls a bit. Pinning the front up loosley can help give more volume but I would take the pins out before it's completly dry and then scrunch to avoid any weird kinks. A zigzag part actually looks the best since it gives more volume at the top where it tends to be flat, but it doesn't usually stay there... haven't tried to part it when wet so I will have to try that.... Unfortunaly I've also come to the conclusion that the best haircut is straight across the back and angled on the front. No layers. Very boring cut and if I had eyes in the back of my head, I could do it myself. Every time I go to a salon I imagine that the stylist has some great vision so I let myself be talked into layers. Come to find out the stylist envisions my hair straight and layers just make the bottom even fluffier and the top seem flatter. Not to mention they always seem to take more length off.

Welcome to MuT!

I have wavy hair. I wish it would make up it's mind and pick one...curly or straight. The in between thing irritates me.

Sorry to hear about your hair cut! It's very diffcult to find a stylist who will properly work with curly hair.

Back